1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What car should I recommend to my mother?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by JWBlue, Jun 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    She prefers American or European make.

These are the three most important things she is looking for.

1> Reliability
    2> Reliability
    3> Reliability

Mid size. New.

I told her that for reliability Toyota, Honda, and Nissan are the clear choice but she does not want a Japanese car.

2. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Seriously?

What can she afford? What attributes does she want? What does she want/like to drive? Get her started with Consumer Reports then go kick some tires.

As for "Japanese," I believe the Camry and then the Accord have the most American-built content of any car sold in America, and neither is like all those "American" cars built in Canada, either; isn't the Accord going on 25 years of American assembly?

You are being a good son trying to steer her to a logical conclusion -- and buying Big 3 2 might be logical if she gets a quality car that she wants at a good price, but it might not. Continue to push. Simply show her the three key facts: Quality, content, assembly. If she's worried about who holds the stock then she's not ready for the modern world.

And since you live in SoCal, make sure you price, at least price if not buy, through carsdirect.com.

P.S. The Koreans are kicking some ass, too, and a good amount of "European" ain't built in Europe. (Our VW was. Our "Japanese" vehicle was made in Canada, though our previous "Japanese" car was made in the States, which can't be said for the last Ford we had.)

3. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fords are pretty good nowadays, just as good as toyota right now, I know cause i bought a toyota a few years ago and it's fine, but no better than my old ford.

I agree with the comment about cars direct pricing, i bought through them - you actually get a price online from a couple nearby dealers and can then negotiate with each to get the best price, the best part is that you can handle it all through e-mail and never deal with the pressure face to face.

4. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was actually going to subscribe to consumer reports for a month and do the research. I wanted to find out if anyone here had any suggestions.

How has the VW been? I was going to suggest a Passat, but I went on truedelta.com and the the reliability data showed the repair frequency as a little high.

I have heard a lot of good things about the Focus.

5. NickPapageorgio

NickPapageorgio OG of the Sal Sagev Hotel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Focus is far from being a midsize sedan. The Fusion may be what you're referring to and is a solid choice.

Nick:beer:

6. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Fusion is ranked #1 on US News and Word Report rating of mid size cars.

It has good repair frequency ratings on True Delta as well.

Will have to look into it.

7. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We bought the last year of the now previous product cycle -- 2010. For several years that model had some problems, but they were rectified to the satisfaction of all rating services we use(d), and it received high marks. As for us, it's only been two years. But knock on wood nothing at all has gone sideways. Premium gas is a turnoff for some but with the new "dumbed down" Passat (and Jetta), that drive-line option is kaput, which is really too bad. That (now) 2.0 turbo has been a workhorse for VW/Audi for years. We'd not purchase the new Passat. We'd move over to Audi if forced to replace the Passat right now.

As for reliability, it still is a law of averages, and you gotta play the averages but it is not a guarantee. We had a "bullet-proof" Toyota that had quite a few niggling problems. We had a dark-ages Ford that was like a Swiss watch.

Anywho, if you can talk sense into her, deliver her to the Honda lot. If it's gotta be "American," Fusion or Buick.

All of us show at least a bit of lack of logic, some emotion, when it comes to cars. I know what I'd buy and not buy. Subaru, Honda, some Hyundai, Ford, Buick or Cadi if going GM, Audi for the bulk of the former. Others have their lists.

Do not forget to check carsdirect.com. I'm totally serious.

8. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My husband had a Hyundai Sonata for 5 years and just traded it in for a Hyundai Genesis. He loves the cars, they test well for safety, their gas mileage is pretty good, and they actually rank quite highly in owner satisfaction and low need for repairs.....(my in-laws have 2 Hyundai minivans they adore, but since you're looking at sedans....)

9. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I want her to buy a Honda, but that is a no go.

I do know the Passat was redesigned for 2012. I do believe what they say is true about vehicles in the first year of a redesign can have problems. I am hesitant about a 2012 Passat. Unfortunately, she needs another car by yesterday, so I can not wait for the 2013.

I love how people write reviews of their new car and write about how great it is. Completely useless information for the most part. New cars generally don't have problems the first year.

Looking into a Hyundai.

It seems cars don't last long these days. My mother wants a car to last at least 10 years if not longer. She owned a 1991 Accord that was a gem. Don't ask why she don't want another one.

She bought a 2005 Saturn L300 that was a lemon. I feel sorry if anyone buys that vehicle.

10. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think cars, generally, are far better made now than 20, 30 years ago, so I have no clue as to that comment. Yes, there are lemons. Yes, some folks don't take care of their vehicles. Yes, some people trade up/out more often than they clean the fridge, but today's car's are lighter, safer, more fuel-efficient and better-built.

I put 250k on a Camry. 200+ on a Taurus. And I think the stuff in the driveway now is far better than those two examples. The Ridgeline only has 50k, but at five years on the road, in So Cal heat and smoke, it has proven itself flawlessly.

Your mom had a Honda, it was awesome, and she won't look at another Honda, though it is made in America, but she'll go for a Korean Hyundai?

OK. Good luck.

11. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So Hyundai's are considered good cars in the US? In the UK (I'm not sure about the rest of Europe) they are still considered below class-leaders. Even now the quality of their interior finish is far below the best in Europe.

Think Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Volkswagen, Skoda for class leaders over here. Ford are excellent vehicles, but their perceived quality is still lower than that lot in Europe.

12. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My Chevy Equinox was made in Canada

My daughters new Hundai was made in Alabama ,so which is American?
    A lot depends on what kind of driving Mom does ,how many miles each year and how much she wants to spend.Let her test drive a few and see what she likes.

13. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I respectfully disagree. A car can be put together anywhere, but the design of the car is still centred around the philosophy of the company that makes it.

14. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not really seeing the point here whatsoever. A good amount of American-market "Japanese" product was designed in America and by Americans. Look at the new Passat and Jetta. Purposely repackaged by and for Americans, and not just American-built. Put yer ass in a last-gen Passat and a new-gen Passat, and one will say Der Fatherland and one will say Wonder Bread. Or my Ridgeline. How is that at all Japanese? Remember back to the first Ford Fiesta, the "world car" with all the Euro and such flags on the front quarter panel? You guys wanna take the rap for that piece of crap?

When Ford and Chrysler had their fingers in multiple European marks did Benz and the like suddenly become Big 3?

15. sarah9nascar

sarah9nascar VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a 2012 Hyundai Elantra that was made in Alabama also. I have had it nearly a year and love it. I have the 10 year warranty thing also.

I had a 2000 Honda Accord when I bought this Hyundai. My Hyundai is so much nicer in every way than my Honda was. I will say the only thing wrong with that 2000 Honda was the air went out and I live in Texas.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
    Sema Show
  16. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    12 years will do that.

17. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    the Saturn L300 is a POS. actually most any Saturns are POSs. VW and Audi are nice cars.

18. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've had four friends who've had horrible VWs and Audis who would respectfully disagree with your assessment.

Our experiences here are going to be anecdotal for the most part (unless someone is pointing out collected data?) so for every good recommendation, there could be a negative experience with the same car.

As for Hyundai, it's a midlevel car in the US, lumped with Honda/Toyota/Nissan. But their ratings are improving rapidly - just as their product has over the past 5-7 years:peace: But the OP wasn't looking for a luxury product (eg Mercedes/BMW/Audi/Lexus) so I don't really see how it's relevant in any event?

19. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

On a tangent. Any car fans, especially of Audi, should rent the movie Ronin.

Robert De Niro stars.

http://youtu.be/-TqaVEIUw4U

It is widely regarded as having some of the best car chases in any movie.

The S8 is one of the stars of the movie.

Speaking of the S8, it comes back this year.

20. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cadillac CTS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.