1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

That Time of Year

Discussion in 'The Poker Room' started by Vegas_Marauder, Jun 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vegas_Marauder

Vegas_Marauder Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow...the WSOP is going on and the Poker Board has gone really silent. I wish I was out there (next year, hopefully). Anyone with a good story so far? Near misses, bubble-bursted, Lederer or Ferguson sighting?

2. MangoPort

MangoPort High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm desparately counting down the days until I arrive - will be playing in the main event this year.

I've been following it online. Looks like some pros are doing really well, which is really good for the game in general and like most purists of the sport you generally want the more skilled player to win, even if luck is a huge factor.

3. Transplant

Transplant Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Trying to figure out a way to win a main seat during my upcoming trip and also not get fired from my job. At the least, I'll play some deepstacks as I just love the poker vibe during the WSOP.

4. Vegas_Marauder

Vegas_Marauder Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I finished 3rd in a Main Event satellite a few years ago. I get a little sick to my stomach every year around this time, replaying hands, thinking of what I could have done differently. I'm gonna make another run at it next year.

5. TommyToledo

TommyToledo Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have played in three $1500 events before, every time was eerily similar - played tight until the dinner break then got into some kind of crazy cooler hand not long after that to get knocked out. One of them was the stud tournament David Williams won, in 2006 I believe, and I ended up losing full house vs full house.

6. MangoPort

MangoPort High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, since we're re-living last hands I'll share mine (I already posted it somewhere else so I'll try and make it more insightful).

800 players left on day 4 of the main event (top 692 get paid), I'm sitting with $85k. Blinds are 2k-4k, $500 antes

Weak, mid position player raises to $10k, cut-off calls, and button calls.

I am in the small blind with AQoff.

There is now $30k + $10k in the middle - $40k. How do I not shove here? I do, cut-off (big stack) calls with 88 and I lose the race.

But I keep thinking, what if I just called for $8k more, saw I missed the flop and waited a few more hands. It costs me $16k per round or so and I think I have just enough to fold to the money (unless I pick up QQ+) and make an easy $20k.

7. NeonTurtle14

NeonTurtle14 I Run the Vegas Hotdog Stand

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Playing my first time in the WSOP this year, in the main event. I can't find anything on the WSOP site that talks about this - can I bring my iPad to the table and read news/books between hands? And is there Wifi in the Amazon Room where the event takes place?

8. MangoPort

MangoPort High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not sure about the wifi but yes to your ipad. You can text at any time so long as not in the hand as well.

9. Transplant

Transplant Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is wifi I believe. I've seen people referencing the name and password on twitter. One or the other is chiptic I think.

10. Transplant

Transplant Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It wasn't costing you 16k each orbit. If it was, your M would be about 5 and plenty low enough to shove AQ to a small raise and a flat call.

Your M was actually 8.5 or so (4k+2K+4500 antes=10k; 85/10 =8.5). I don't hate the shove, but you have to know you're racing as you probably don't have any fold equity against a big stack getting close to the bubble.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.