1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Tip Housekeeping

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by lostaktex, May 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lostaktex

lostaktex Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    hi,where do i put the tip in the hotel for the room cleaners?in the near of the tv? i dont know.
    last time in 2008 there where no "box" or something to put the money in.
    silly question but i really dont know the answer because in germany there is only tip oin restaurants.

2. tinytim

tinytim Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    put your tip next to the telephone with a note..."for house keeping".

Tim
    T-0
    leaving today for Nevada....yipeeeeeeeeeeee

3. br549

br549 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It really doesn't matter where you leave it in the room as long as it is visible. I almost always leave it on the bathroom counter with a note saying "housekeeping."

4. NeonTurtle14

NeonTurtle14 I Run the Vegas Hotdog Stand

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I leave it on the pillow... whatever works.

5. ck2124

ck2124 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We leave it in the bathroom on the counter. We only leave a note if we are asking for something extra.

6. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree. I leave it on the bathroom counter with a note, or on the bed.

7. ILoveDonuts

ILoveDonuts Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tipping in Las Vegas is really out of control. EVERYBODY wants a tip. With that said, I always tip housekeeping well.

These are the people that have to put up with the pigs and slobs of this world. They see and smell and touch the aftermath of the dirty animals that pass through them hotel rooms.

Yeah, yeah...YOU are not one of them dirty slobs. But you and I know they are out there.

So I always tip housekeeping well.

I Love LV!

8. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just a different perspective. On a typical 5 day, 4 night trip, we don't use housekeeping.
    We get some extra towels, soap, shampoo and Kleenex and we are set for our stay. I tip the maid for those items and leave 1 tip at the end of our stay. Do not disturb stays on the door the entire time.

I used to call down to housekeeping to say we didn't need service, but from this board I discovered that they just assign the housekeeper another room. Now when I see them in the hall, I just say we don't need service.

We don't change our sheets at home everyday and I don't need them changed in LV.

I dump the empties in the trashcan by the elevator in the morning and we are set. We're still on vacation, but we can spread out our crap wherever we want in the room and not worry about it.

9. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I use housekeeping and love it. i need someone to clear out the beer cans and hot dog wrappers.

I tip them $5 per night. I also thank them if I see them in the hallway.

10. Tammy58

Tammy58 Frugal Slot Jockey

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Easy decision for me...I smoke so I leave it next to the ashtray. Pretty much every room in Vegas has a notepad and pen near the phone, as others said write housekeeping and place it there...they will take it. I do not think they change the sheets everyday. I need fresh washcloths, handtowels and the rubbish emptied daily...oh and some tp...other than that they don't need to do anything else in my room.

11. MisterJJ

MisterJJ Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Call me cheap or call me a pig, but I don't tip housekeeping normally. I just don't make any mess to be cleaned up and I don't request any other services. They empty the trash and make the barely un-made bed and they're gone.

But that's when I'm alone. When I go places with the wife and daughter the mess left by two females is considerably larger. I feel like I should not only be leaving them a tip but also paying a hazardous waste disposal fee!

12. engicedave

engicedave VIP Whale

I tip on the day of departure.
    Only if I need something extra, like extra coffee, creamer, pens or toiletries and I write a note asking for such, I put a couple dollars with it.

I typically tip a couple dollars to five dollars per day depending on hotel, room size, quality and quality of service...a Holiday Inn and Paris Calais Suite tips are going to vary because room costs and size varies.

By the way, to add to this question, do you recycle your towels or toss on the floor for new clean ones daily?
    I want new clean towels daily.
    Almost no hotel changes sheets daily (unless you, um, well, mess them up requiring it...?)

13. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I tip maybe 1 day per stay(when I have a winning day), and leave it on the pillow.

14. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I tend to write the amount I am leaving on the note. Housekeeping knows that is what I want them to take and I'd like to think that if their boss questioned their tips they can prove they were left it.

15. JulieM

JulieM Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I put 5.00 everyday on the pillow!!!:beer:

16. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I tape a toonie to my **** in case I sleep in.

17. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tiping

Many years ago I learned to hide the tips under the bed pillows because the men who check the frigerator bar run in first to check the bar and they take the house keeper tips.

The logic is that only the maids will be making up the beds.

I used to belong to a Singles Travel group and it must have been real strange for the maids to find their tips under the pillows. LucyR.

Joe, I do the same thing you do. I put a don't disturb sign and I write a note on my door that I don't need housekeeping. When I run out of towels I just
    ask the maids who are in the hallway for more towels. They are so thankful
    they don't need to clean my room.
    I collect all of my trash in trash bags and I save the soda cans in case the
    workers want them.
    It is so much fun just to throw everything all over the place and not worry about it. I only stay three nights.

18. Stefano DiMera

Stefano DiMera Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I usually tip at the end of my stay too, but then I questioned whether they actually pool their tips, or keep them for themselves. If I'm there 5 nights beginning mid-week, I don't want the weekend person who cleans the room twice to keep all the tip money and not give any to the normal weekday person who cleaned the room three times and may not get anything for it.

I guess the only solution to that is to tip daily.

19. engicedave

engicedave VIP Whale

I have asked and been told it is standard practice in most hotels to pool tips

20. technolight

technolight Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We usually leave $3 a day with a note "for housekeeping " beside the phone , but at the end of our stay I leave all the coins I have accumulated over the 9 or 10 days we usually stay for , which since we are from Scotland are of no use to us back home ,counted it once and it was around 30 bucks .

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.