1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

I'm Buying A Used Car this Time

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe Strummer, May 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

I park at a train station daily ---
    no way I'm parking a brand new car there !
    You should see some of the dents + scratches
    I've gotten on my 14 yr old truck.
    people don't give a sh*t !
    Looking at a Hyundai Cr-V.

2. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    it's always a better deal to buy used anyway. new cars are one of the worst things you can buy from a financial perspective. i'm actually looking at picking up a used Volkswagon Eos right now.

3. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    CR-V is a Honda.

4. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is risk in buying used vehicle. Why did the previous owner sell the vehicle? There is a good chance it is because it was causing problems. Maybe not, but maybe.
    A few repairs on that vehicle will take away all the money saved on buying used.

I love buying a new vehicle and taking care of it like a baby. I like the idea that I am the only owner of the vehicle.
    The vehicle becomes part of my memories. Who doesn't like the new car smell?

I bought a 1994 Nissan Pathfinder SE after graduating from college and had it for 15 years.

Then I bought a 2009 Land Rover LR4 HSE. I plan on holding it for the same time period.

I also like the new car buying experience. The research. The immaculate showrooms. The negotiation.
    It is all fun for me.

5. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think we can safely say that most people sell their car because they want a new one, unless it's a 25 year old beater.

6. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd not be turned away out of some fear over the car being abused. I think we all know a good mechanic who can check things out, or one is easy to find. There's certified pre-owned. Many of us churn through the mileage so quickly that a new-car warranty might expire in a year or two anyway. And there's the bottom line that some brands remain better than others, and while lemons exist on an individual basis, if things are trending one way or the other, it's doing so for a reason.

We've had great experiences buying used, we've had great experiences buying new. I don't think new is an automatic bad decision, either.

7. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Our last three were online. Took in a certified check, drove out 10 minutes later. All three were brands of which friends of ours own dealerships. They never could touch what we were able to get online. I, too, dig the research.

8. martay

martay Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Eight months ago, I traded a 2007 Mazda3 (which I had purchased new) for a 1999 Mercedes-Benz ML320 and $2,500 cash. The cash came in handy, and the extra room has been nice. I like driving slightly older vehicles. The Mazda3 was nice, but it really bothered me when those first few dings and dents started showing up on it -- most of which were inflicted by my wife.

9. mikenhe

mikenhe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always buy used.

closest I got to new was a minivan that I got for the wife to run the kids around - 11 months old, 15k on the clock and 12k below list price.

my current car is a volvo s80 twin turbo - top of the range at the time and very very fast.

list price was 44k - I got it with 90k on the clock at 5 years old for 11k

those things go for ever - 5 years already for me and I love it.

maybe a used porsche next time... need a monthly budget for one of those things though,,,,

10. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    sure, that can happen, but "good chance" is going way too far. people sell cars for lots of reasons and usually they just want a new one, can't afford the payments, moving, etc, etc.

11. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Absolutely, there's no car experience like a new car experience, but there's also no question one pays a premium for that experience. The devaluation that occurs driving a new car off the lot is substantial. I've done it a few times in my life and didn't mind because I generally drive and enjoy the vehicle several years after it's paid-off, as I only put 5-6K miles on annually. Most recently I bought a certified 2 year old vehicle and am very happy with the purchase. I got a great value on a vehicle most think was new anyways...

12. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I bought two used commuter cars from eBay listings. One listing expired as it did not meet minimum reserve, I contacted the seller who was a dealer and negotiated a price. The second listing was also a dealer who describes his cars in great detail and has 99% positive feedback and almost 2800 eBay sales. I ended the auction early and bought it. They had 72,000 and 84,000 miles and were 12-13 years old. I have since put on about 60,000 miles between both cars and only now do they need some expensive repairs like struts, cv joints, air conditioner evaporator. I paid wholesale price for these cars and factored in a few thousand $$ in repair costs. I don't think I will buy a new car again.

13. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They call them "Station Cars"

NYC and Newark commuters typically buy some heap just to get them to the
    station and back home.I agree, people have little respect for others property anymore.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.