1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

MGM: Best Way To Book?

Discussion in 'Comps' started by Polemarch28, May 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Polemarch28

Polemarch28 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hello all,

I am planning a trip to the MGM in two weeks. I went out there recently with my girlfriend, and as a new transplant to the mLife system, I had basically no history with them. While I was there, I played at around $225-250 average bet for 10-12 hours (over three days). I made it a point to stop by to speak with (and hopefully establish / develop a relationship with) a host on my first full day there, and I met a very friendly, engaging player development executive, who immediately offered to comp my room upfront, and seemed eager to help me out in any way possible.

At the end of the trip, I called down to VIP to let them know I was checking out, and to see if they would be able to take care of any room charges. I was told that everything (except tips) was wiped off, and that I was good to go. Long story short, that level of play easily covered a regular room, minimal food, and a few miscellaneous drinks.

This is my question:

Since I only recently joined the mLife system, and my offers up until now have been miniscule/non-existent, I am trying to figure out the best way to book my next trip. Do I:

1. Call the hotel, ask for VIP, and see what offers they have for me?
    2. Call the hotel, ask for my host, and let them book it for me?

Considerations I Have:

1. I may or may not play at that level this trip. I don't like feeling obligated to keep a host happy or such - I want to feel free to play at whatever level is appropriate based on my feeling in the moment. On the other hand, I will probably play, if not at that level, at least at a black chip level no matter what.

2. If I have an offer in the system, will it include perks (such as freeplay) that actually exceed what I'd reasonably get from working with a host?

3. Have the summer offers actually come out yet? On the mlife website, it is still showing Spring, which for me, is nothing sexy.

4. Even if the summer offers have come out or do shortly, will my recent play (April) even influence their content?

Thanks for reading my awfully long OP.

2. Mauretania

Mauretania Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, I received my Mlife summer offer on their website April 7th. It is good through July 31st.

It may take some time before actual offers show up in your account, online.

Since it's such a short window, if I were you, I would call the host and ask if there are any "offers" for you. It never hurts to ask.

3. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    you probably won't get any offers until fall. just call up the host that you worked with before and tell him your dates and ask him what he can do. you don't need an "offer", 99% chance he just books your room on the spot comped upfront. maybe even throws in some F&B credit or something. since he's now your host, if you call up VIP they will just forward you to him, so there's no way around that. but you don't have to feel pressure to play to a certain level just because he booked you. if you're planning on playing black chips anyway, that's plenty for the room.

as far as FP, your avg bet statement means you play table games. promo chips have gone the way of the dodo at MGM. slot players still get FP, but table players don't get promo anymore except in extraordinary circumstances. for example, my last couple of trips i've played really big for me and had a 5-6k avg bet and so i talked to my host about getting some promo chips for my next trip. he was able to squeeze 1k out of them, but that's it. that's a paltry sum considering the action i've given them, but that's what they're doing these days. a couple of years ago i was only playing at about a 400-600 avg bet and was getting 1200-1500 promo chips every visit. not anymore.

4. Polemarch28

Polemarch28 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds good. I think I'll do just that - I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss out on something better. Appreciate the responses.

5. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did not see if you had checked online to see what offers were there.

Sometimes that can surprise you.

6. Polemarch28

Polemarch28 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did check online, and what was there was really unimpressive.

Anyway, I called my host, room is taken care of upfront. Effortless. I'm not one who really runs up expense in other areas of the house, so really all I care about is a nice room at a nice property, and I have that. He also offered to send a car, so that was an unexpected perk (for me) at my level of play. All in all, I'm very pleased.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.