1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Keurig?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Publius, May 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Publius

Publius Living the Dream

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Anybody have one of these? I'm looking into buying one but I don't know which model to get or if they are any good. Anybody like to share their opinions on them?

2. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like mine.

The quality of the coffee is not as good as what you get from a good “regular” coffee maker (of about any variety, really). And paying eight bucks for 12 cups of coffee is a little ridiculous. But, the convenience can’t be beat – pop in the K-cup, pour in the water and by the time you've poured the milk into the cereal, you've got a decent cuppa joe.

One thing I will say about the company is that I was absolutely blown away by the customer service. A few months ago, the machine stopped working. My sister (who was staying with me while her new house was being built) called the 800 number to see if they could help. They walked her through a few things she could do. And when none of them worked, they took down her info and in two days a brand new machine showed up FedEx. The one that broke was well over a year old, so an answer of “sorry, there’s nothing more we can do for you” would have been a perfectly reasonable response. But, they definitely went the extra mile (and even sent me a model that was “fancier” than the one I had). So, I give them huge kudos for that.:nworthy:

3. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have them at work and my dad and his wife have one. They're nice for variety but wasteful (all those little plastic cups - though you can get a reusable one for your own coffee too) I rarely use them, but they do work well. At home, I prefer my "regular" coffeemaker. It has a timer on it and that's our alarm clock during the week:peace:

(Costco often has good deal - a couple weeks ago I saw a Keurif coffeemaker and 40 k-cups for ~$140. And you can use the Bed Bath & Beyond coupons on k-cups there, that helps save money)

4. DonD

DonD VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had planned on buying one because they look nice. The Plaza has them in the rooms and after using them a few times I decided to not get one. I too prefer my regular coffee maker that I have at home. They are fun and look cool though.

5. vegas_or_bust

vegas_or_bust High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can't beat the ease and convenience of a Keurig. We actually have a regular coffee maker that we use on the weekends when we drink a lot of coffee. However, the Keurig is aweseome when you just want one cup of coffee, or when you are heading out of the house and you want to take some coffee to go.

6. AbFab

AbFab Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bought one last year, and recently gave it away.

Why?

Well, because one the quality is not as good as you would get at your local deli, and the quantity is not enough. In the morning I like to have a large coffee, which equals to two and a half cups. with the Keurig you'd have to put 2-3 K cups to equal that.

So, if you're like me that needs a good large quality coffee in the morning, I'd say you'd be disappointed.

7. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We toyed with the idea of getting one, but decided we didn't have the counter space with the other two coffee machines we have. :)

I will say that I recently had them at a hotel we stayed at and loved that idea. We got two k-cups per day for free and more were in the mini-bar. I loved being able to make a quick and easy cup of coffee without the mess in the morning.

I was sort of disappointed that Planet Hollywood didn't have one. I even brought my own creamer, just in case. :)

8. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    wasteful packaging, expensive per cup, you are paying for convenience. But, a very successful company.

Now that their stock lost about half its value in the last few weeks, might be a good buy. There was a CNBC story about how the founder spent years trying to get this to market, a great lesson about how not to give up on an idea.

Sometimes I buy a big can of Wal Mart 100% Colombian for about $9, its pretty good and it lasts weeks.

9. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They are great if there is only one of you who drinks coffee. Otherwise the stuff is mondo expensive on a cup per cup basis.

10. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We had one in our suite at thehotel - kcups were $$$ part of the mini bar, but we bought our own (had to buy lunches for the trade show we were attending) Worked great. Better than the single use machine some hotels have, but not great for a regular morning (or weekend) when my husband and I want more volume at the same time.....

I've never heard anyone complain about the actual machine (sometimes ours at work takes a while to warm up - I'm usually the first person on my floor in the morning, and I use it for hot water for my breakfast oatmeal:peace:) It's more the cost and convenience, number of people using it, etc.

11. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LOVE my Keurig Elite! I've had it for three years now. I started out using the prepackaged K-Cups, but once I bought the filter, I now brew my favorite coffees from Sbux in my Keurig: Komodo Dragon, Sumatra and Yukon Blend.

12. raraavis

raraavis VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i bought the B40 Elite for $80 at bed bath and beyond for my fiance for christmas (2011). he drinks coffee everyday; i detest coffee. so as another poster mentioned, it is good if only 1 person drinks coffee. if more than one drinks coffee (or the the coffee drinker likes LOTS of coffee), i would say it is cheaper and more environmentally friendly to use a regular coffee machine.

i bought my fiance a french press the christmas before, and he barely uses it (he says it's too much work). he generally uses that small espresso thing that goes on the stove. it is metal and has a small base and what looks like a little teapot on top of the base (know what i mean????). i don't drink coffee, so i don't know the technical name for this thing. he uses that when he has extra time in the morning before work, but he was always complaining about the time factor. that is why i bought the keurig for him. he also got the filter so he could use his own coffee grounds instead of always using the k-cups. he finds deals on the k-cups and generally spends about 30 cents per k-cup. i would say he uses it about 3-4 days out of 7. overall, he says he likes it.

13. Nevada Kid

Nevada Kid VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not a coffee drinker, but a fellow from work raves about his all the time.

14. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The oh-so-technical name is stovetop espresso maker:thumbsup: I have a gorgeous copper one but I never use it. Never use the french press either. It's just a time issue. Plus I'm not that much of a coffee snob so I don't notice the difference:ssst:

15. raraavis

raraavis VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    thank you! :thumbsup:

16. mikenhe

mikenhe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    we were given one for xmas. very good - as mentioned it works out expensive and wasteful. We managed to get some reasonable coffee pods at Sams club which brought down the avergae price to 50c per cup.

Buying the different coffees when they are on sale means I get to try different ones and it is VERY quick and convenient.

However I normally use my normal coffee maker and make a pot at a time - as long as I'm around to drink it then I prefer that.

if you drink a cup or 2 a day then it may be worth it - or want to try different coffees - easy to make 4 different types for different people.

17. DonD

DonD VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good point Mike. Hey, you're supposed to drink tea.

18. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There are some very nice teas available in k-cup - we stock them at work:thumbsup:

Cocoa and I think even cider. Iced teas. They make everything :evillaugh

19. raraavis

raraavis VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    oh yeah, there are hot chocolate k-cups!:licklips:

20. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have been using one for about 3 years now. I am on my second one, my first one quit and as another poster stated, they sent me a new one two days later.

You have to remember they are a luxury/convenience item, there are cheaper ways to brew coffee for sure and some people say traditional pots brew better. I like my Keurig and have bought one as a gift for my ex wife, one for my parents and one just to keep at my girlfriends home for when I sleep over, so I am definantly a fan.

I like that you can brew a quick cup, I like that theres no pot to clean out, and I just like to brew one cup at a time.

FYI, I buy my pods on coffeecow.com I have found them to be the cheapest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.