1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Need Victoria BC suggestions

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Sonya, May 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My extremely weird husband is turning 50 next month. I presented a series of what I thought were great ideas, including Vegas, but he chose Victoria, British Columbia.

We spent a half day there on our honeymoon. We visited Buchart Gardens and walked around Pandora Avenue a bit to find a cuban cigar and absinthe. :)

We want to do tea at the Empress and probably the Royal BC museum, but we could use some suggestions for restaurants and a hotel.

Anyone have some suggestions?

2. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Empress is a hotel, and a very nice one. Its also close to tea at The Empress (doesn't get much closer than that) and the Royal BC Museum, as well as all the nearby touristy attractions and shopping are all within walking distance... and if you are taking the ferry up its pretty close to that too.

3. pikabu

pikabu Low roller, but always enjoy the ride!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sonya, I happen to live there, so I can help you. PM me anytime with questions.

Breakfast - The Blue Fox at 919 Fort St
    Shine Cafe (shinecafe.ca) at 1320 Blanshard St or 1548 Fort St

Lunch - Ferris' Oyster Bar and Gril (www.ferrisoysterbar.com) at 536 Yates St
    Wah Lai Yuen at 560 Fisgard St (Chinatown)
    Red Fish Blue Fish (www.redfish-bluefish.com) at 1006 Wharf Street; this outside eatery was on Eat St (tv show)
    Pig BBQ Joint (pigbbqjoint.com) 1325 Blanshard St

Dinner - Il Terrazzo (www.ilterrazzo.com) 555 Johnson St

Maritime Museum (mmbc.bc.ca) is interesting; it's downtown in Bastion Square

Emily Carr House (emilycarr.com) 207 Government St - near downtown

If you like walking, walk through Beacon Hill Park and along the waterfront (Dallas Rd).

I'll stop here, but feel free to ask questions.

4. pikabu

pikabu Low roller, but always enjoy the ride!

Trips to Las Vegas:
  5. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love Victoria B.C.

Hi Sonya, I go to Victoria every other year in May. I take a cruise ship that stops in Victoria for one day. I love to take the local buses everywhere for fun. I tell the bus driver I am only going for fun and they do a great job of giving me a transfer to go back into town. It is really a City and not a town.

I love to shop at the Centre Mall located on Gov. ST.. I go to their DOLLAR STORE to shop for many things in the Mall. They also sell items that cost more than a dollar. For example; I once found some great cashmere sp socks for $3.50. I also like to buy the "Red Girl" cosmetics. They also have
    great prices for Canadian gifts. I stock up on cosmetics.lol.

There is also a China Town near-by in town.

I think you can also take a ferry to visit Nainamo town that is super quaint.
    It's like time stopped in the 1940's. There was a cutsy Tea place where they do tea leaf readings for fun. They also have the Dollar store.LOL.

There are other Tea Shops that have great teas and cheaper than the Empress Hotel. I heard there is an area near Dallas St. that has a quaint
    Tea Place and the area is real cutsy. I didn't get a chance to visit that area.
    The buses do take you to that area. You don't need to take taxi's.

I would like to go to Victoria and stay for a few nights at a Bed & Breakfast.

PIKABU, Do you know of any B&B's that are located in the Harbor area in town? I know I have to book it almost one year in advance. LucyR.

6. elvis66

elvis66 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For a good pint try Canoe Brewpub, Spinnaker's or Swan's.

7. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd like to take a walk through Chinatown. Nanaimo is a fun town, but I don't think we'll get up there this time. I know Dan wants to see Tofino, but I think that deserves it's own trip.

Thanks for the beer suggestions. I think we did Spinnaker's last time, but I'll check out the others. Dan loves a good beer.

Now I've started to worry about the "June-uary" weather in the NW. :)

8. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Also, we are considering the Chateau Victoria for our hotel. The 1 bedroom suites have a balcony with views where we can have some wine or coffee. Anyone have first hand experience with it? It looks like a decent location that is walking distance from most places but not right in the heart of the tourist stuff.

9. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Victoria BC

Hi Sonya, I think that as long as there is a bus near-by..... any hotel you choose will be okay.

I wish I was going to Victoria this summer. Have lots of fun for me. Lucy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.