1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Quick downtown ONLY trip 4/23-4/25

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by tvon, Apr 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tvon

tvon VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

Got a quick trip report.. Gunna just make a few points and highlights instead of telling y'all everything we did.

Stayed entirely downtown for my first trip to Vegas ever. Not once did we drive/go to anywhere on Las Vegas blvd. Stayed downtown and loved it.

I was in the California desert with my girlfriend catching some post Coachella parties. We drove from Joshua Tree to Vegas via the long desert route. PM me if you want to know the route and cool things to do in Joshua Tree.. Its worth a trip!

We got into Vegas and saw traffic on the 15. Hit Vons (on Tropicana) for supplies which is all important on any Vegas trip. Plus our room at the Cal had a mini fridge so that is awesome.

Stayed at the Cal. Loved being one of the only young/non- Hawaiian's in the place. The Hawaiian's are so friendly and I enjoyed it.
    Our room was in the tower (21st floor) closest to the MSS, we overlooked the highway/train. The highway noise wasn't bad but the train laid on the horns a few times overnight and that woke us up. Our room was basic, clean, large and of course the mini fridge is great. We got a $29 rate on the b-connected page.

The Plaza - I haven't been since the upgrades. Mostly the same as far as layout but great to see the carpets, great check in desk and peeked in Oscar's which looked amazing.

The Golden Gate - Looks the same upon initial walk in, but in addition to sprucing up the place.. the back is DIFFERENT. The snack bar and piano (booo) is gone to a smaller gaming area and bathrooms. The lobby has moved back too. On top of that limits and stuff have gone up. Kind of like the changes but hate they arent' the bargain they used to be (gaming wise)

The D/Fitzgeralds - Aside from that "long bar", it looks the same. The signage is mostly the same, the big pot of gold on the front is still there. All the chips say "the Fitz". I dont get it. I guess they are still working on it.

The GN pool - Booked a daybed on one day. Got the bed all the way to the right when you walk into the new pool area. Very awesome, not crowded. Waitress was very attentive, even found us in the pool area to take orders/deliver food. We did not get all the freebies (like bottled water, lipbalm, sunscreen, etc) that was posted on a thread in here. I had to ask for some sunscreen, which thankfully was free. Only bad thing was around 3 the sun goes behind the new Rush tower. If you have a bed all the way to the left (overlooking the crotch port) you get another hour of sun.

Zipline - Didnt get to do it. Over an hour or so wait. Maybe next time.

Fremont East - Didn't go anywhere but it looked better than my last trip ('10). A few new places, a video game bar, and the Emergency Arts. A few new places are going to be opening down that end and I'm excited to see how it turns out. What a change from 10 years ago!

LVC - Still a dump. Has gotten even worse (if thats possible).

Gambling - Sucked. Played more machines that I usually do but was up and down, never hit anything really. Got a big BJ win at The D.. but other than that it was mostly bad.

MSS - Good as usual. Hit the Buffet twice with that FSE 2 for 1 coupon. Good deal, decent buffet. I like the atmosphere in there alot.

Thats it really!

2. sabrina

sabrina Low roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    makes me want to stay downtown. We zip lined last trip, its fun.

Seinfield
  3. fremontflo

fremontflo Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Always enjoy reading a downtown TR because I love downtown. Just came from there 2 weeks ago and I agree with all your observations.

4. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    1 hour wait for the zipline? Ouch.

Hope its less when I go. Not sure I'd endure that length of wait.

5. marcianofan

marcianofan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like the Cal, its clean,quiet and like you said everyone is really friendly and easy going. I'm surprised about the long line for the zipline, guess its gonna be a sucess. Tks for the quick TR....

6. vegas.regular

vegas.regular Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Downtown Sucks

Come on folks. You gotta say downtown sucks. The more you brag about how great it is the more people are gonna come down there. Don't want that. Like it the way it is. lol.

7. LaRae

LaRae Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the report on downtown!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.