1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Twist or Joel Robuchon-Vegas culinary trip

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by Dela_CruzinI77, May 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dela_CruzinI77

Dela_CruzinI77 Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey everyone,

Gf and I have planned a culinary trip to Vegas for 5 nights, we have are reservation for Le Cirque, Sage, Raku, and e by Jose Andres. We need one more option in the $500 range including tips, we do not drink so that should enable us to splurge more on food.

We are both chefs who have done research on what type of food and experience we will have in Twist and Joel Robuchon. I'm leaning more towards Twist for the experimental and daring factor, while the Gf prefers to dine at JR for the upscale factor(limo ride, bread and mignardises cart).

If it makes any difference we are going to order a la carte at Twist(1 soup, 2 app, 3 mains, 1 dessert) all to share. While if we decide to do JR we are hoping to do the 4 course prix fixe menu(2 apps, 1 main, 1 dessert) we plan to choose different dishes per each course so we can try and share as many dishes as we can.

If you consider the restaurants we had resos for, none of them have the "wow" factor that Joel Robuchon provides. This is my Gf argument, but I really want to see what Twist is all about. Twist also has a new chef de cuisine as pascal Sanchez is leaving to start his own restaurant in France. I would love to see what Ryuki Kawasaki can do on his own. Ryuki has also worked for Robuchon for 4 years.

I guess we can just do a coin flip but I thought I might get some opinions first.

2. MangoPort

MangoPort High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ah yes, a beautiful delimma to have. I'm assuming you've also looked at Guy Savoy at Caesar's and Picasso at Bellagio and decided against them, correct? (Both 2 michelin stars).

I haven't eaten at Twist, but I have eaten at Joel Robuchon several times. The absolute best restaurant I've ever eaten at. It is more than just food but a truly unique dining experience in terms of atmosphere.

Some comments I would make. JR is heavy french, as is Le' Cirque, so even though JR is a notch above you'll be tasting very heavy flavors in both cases.

On the other hand, E' is quite experimental itself, so I would think in terms of gastronomy you have that covered.

I can't really decide for you.

3. Dela_CruzinI77

Dela_CruzinI77 Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes I have looked at both Savoy and Picasso, while Savoy looked very intriguing Picasso's menu just didn't appeal to us. The innovation-inspiration menu at Guy Savoy which is a 12-14 course tasting for $385 seems like a better value compared to JR's 14 course degustation at $425. Both have amazing bread, cheese, dessert carts with Savoy offering bread pairing for each course.

Opting for the degustation at JR or the innovation/inspiration menu at Savoy would have me winning a little bit more money lol.

I can't seem to open the other menus for Savoy but I think its comparable to JR's prices.

4. dankyone

dankyone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would do Guy Savoy over either of your choices, but your analysis is spot on. Pierre G gives you multiple "tastes" per course, though, so if you are not doing a degustation menu Twist would give you the opportunity to taste more.

Another option, you can sit in the "Bubbles and Bites" lounge at Guy Savoy and taste 4 small bites for $40. (or 8 for $80...) I have done this and it is the best fine dining value in LV. The 8 bites are enough for a full meal and you will get the bread service and mignardises as well. Service is magnificent, even at the bar. Given your interests I would drop Raku and do this one evening. Also agree Picasso is worth a miss.

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  5. BackInVegas

BackInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    E at Cosmopolitan

E at Cosmo is on my list of to dos.

6. dankyone

dankyone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just found out they no longer do the 4 for $40 small bites at the lounge in Guy Savoy--unfortunately they stopped this about a month ago, apparently.

7. cpreston

cpreston Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    for me it would be a "no brainer" I'd go to Joël Robuchon, and get the Sixteen Course Degustation.

(I'm a fan of Chef Robuchon... if I ever hit BIG, this is what I'd do)

If I win a lottery one of these days, I'd go to Restaurant L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon in Paris

8. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    of course the 16 course menu at JR would be an experience, but it's well above of the OP's stated $500 budget.

as far as wow factor, i always enjoy my dinners at Le Cirque. i have never been to JR even though i've stayed at MGM many times, but we go to Le Cirque almost every trip whether we're staying at the B or elsewhere. part of that, though, is that they know us at Le Cirque now and we always enjoy seeing the familiar faces that know exactly what we like vs breaking in a new crew. be sure to ask for table 90, best table in the house by far.

so since you're already doing that, i would save JR for another trip and try one of the other options for the last dinner.

9. cpreston

cpreston Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think my brain read $500 per person... wishful thinking
    (which, well would still be over budget for the JR 16 course dinner)
    :eek:

10. engicedave

engicedave VIP Whale

As chef's, I would imagine L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon with bar seating would be a required stop.
    This gives you the opportunity to observe the preparation and expediting of service, as well as count covers per hour.
    It's a well oiled machine, very professional, and almost silent.

Here was my visit, almost a year ago, complete with photos
    https://www.vegasmessageboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65719

11. Dela_CruzinI77

Dela_CruzinI77 Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    finally finalized trip

thank you everybody for your opinions but after a couple week of making this thread our plans have slightly changed.

As much as we wanted to do Le Cirque we have eliminated it from our 5 night culinary adventure.

We decided that because this might be the only time we will ever go to Vegas as we are not much of gamblers or clubbing-type, that we should just go for it!

Day 1
    arrive 3:30pm Palazzo
    Guy Savoy 5:30 Chef's table custom menu for 2
    Blue Man Group 10:00

Day 2
    Joel Robuchon at the Mansion 5:30
    Peepshow 9:30
    -we would love to have the full on 16 course degustation but I feel 3 1/2 hours would feel a little rushed, so we might choose the 6 course prixe fixe.

Day 3
    Ka 7:00
    Raku Grill 9:00 will order mostly a la carte and off the daily specials menu

Day 4
    Mystere 7:00
    Twist by Pierre Gagnaire 9:30

Day 5
    e by Jose Andres 8:30 show

this definitely put us way above our planned $500 dinner/night, but in a place where money is not an issue, we might as well take the plunge and indulge.

12. Dela_CruzinI77

Dela_CruzinI77 Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    finally finalized trip

thank you everybody for your opinions but after a couple week of making this thread our plans have slightly changed.

As much as we wanted to do Le Cirque we have eliminated it from our 5 night culinary adventure.

We decided that because this might be the only time we will ever go to Vegas as we are not much of gamblers or clubbing-type, that we should just go for it!

Day 1
    arrive 3:30pm Palazzo
    Guy Savoy 5:30 Chef's table custom menu for 2
    Blue Man Group 10:00

Day 2
    Joel Robuchon at the Mansion 5:30
    Peepshow 9:30
    -we would love to have the full on 16 course degustation but I feel 3 1/2 hours would feel a little rushed, so we might choose the 6 course prixe fixe.

Day 3
    Ka 7:00
    Raku Grill 9:00 will order mostly a la carte and off the daily specials menu

Day 4
    Mystere 7:00
    Twist by Pierre Gagnaire 9:30
    -we chose Twist over Le Cirque because June 20th is the day Chef Ryuki will launch his first seasonal menu as the new Chef de Cuisine of Twist.

Day 5
    e by Jose Andres 8:30 show

this definitely put us way above our planned $500 dinner/night, but in a place where money is not an issue, we might as well take the plunge and indulge.

13. dankyone

dankyone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You may be underestimating how time consuming and cumbersome it is to move from one hotel to another for your dinners and shows. Furthermore, I simply cannot imagine rushing through Joel Robuchon just to race over to Planet Hollywood. Forget Peepshow, let 16 courses at JR be your show for the night.

14. BlueSkadoo

BlueSkadoo VMB Sweetheart

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did the six course tasting at JR last summer. It took a really long time, and it was worth every second (probably a solid 3 hours after sitting down, no lulls). I agree with dankyone, I would just let Chef Roubouchon be my entertainment. Even if you stick with just the 6 course, you will not regret it.

15. Dela_CruzinI77

Dela_CruzinI77 Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am going to book the complimentary limo ride a week before our reservation. Reso is at 5:30 and peepshow is at 9:30, 3 hours seems reasonable for the 6 course but I'm not sure for the 16 course. 1 hr to get to PH with the limo, we have tickets on hand and hotel maps on iPhone.

Is it possible for me to order the degustation and my partner order the 4 or 6 course?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.