1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Junior Seau commits suicide

Discussion in 'The Sports Book' started by JWBlue, May 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sad.

I wonder if it was brain/football related.

2. Gchyld308

Gchyld308 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would think the connection between brain injuries and depression /suicide will definitely becoming a talking point around this sad news.

3. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very sad for this ex-USC player who I enjoyed watching for many years. He dominated his position for a long time in a league that chews up and spits out it's players.

4. Ahambone

Ahambone Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Apparently, he left a note saying that he'd like his brain donated to science, because he felt that the hits to the head he took contributed to a diminished mental state.

5. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    WOW. I know Dave Deurson did that. Seau did as well?

I read somewhere that in 20 years football/NFL will not exist because of head injuries.

6. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Four or five of these now just in the past few years, and who knows how many that didn't make the headlines. And some ungodly number of former players are suing the NFL; hundreds and hundreds. Goodell's walking a fine line keeping the cash cow going and having his own little come-to-Jesus-like epiphany the outward manifestation of which is and will be a bunch of lip service--because you gotta ultimately protect the cash cow, which ironically isn't players but the Madison Avenue-created image.

Blue, the NFL never will be legislated out of existence. If the same millionaires (players) and billionaires (owners) were involved in the drug trade, the drug trade would be legal. It's one thing to mandate helmets and seatbelts -- after all, gotta protect those who aren't smart enough to do it themselves ...

What would be next? Auto racing. Hockey. Boxing and that UFC shit?

We're not smart enough to protect from exploitation those who can't protect themselves -- rodeo, horse racing, dog racing -- so self-selected carnage by humans is a god-given right, but only in some arenas.

And to think, the wingers fight tooth and nail against every assisted-suicide law.

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  7. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That makes eight members of the 1994 Chargers Super Bowl team that have passed away.

As a comparison I believe not one player from their opponent, the 49ers, has passed.

Bizarre.

I wonder how far back a championship football team has had eight players die. Probably the 60's.

http://rosterwatch.com/?p=3162

8. MTMONGO

MTMONGO High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    RIP 55. Sad day.

9. chess

chess VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    and it probably did......

its pretty sad 43 years old is a young age for someone to do that :(

10. archie1959

archie1959 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If any one saw his Mom's news conference, that was heart breaking.
    Having to bury a child?

11. ABQJeff

ABQJeff Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's heartbreaking. He was such a great talent, and was so loved by the community. Rest in Peace Jr.

12. Tellafriend

Tellafriend MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The news report i read this morning said there was not a note left.

13. zerofan

zerofan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sad news for sure.

Sounds like Seau tried this before by driving his car off of a cliff shortly after getting arrested for domestic violence a year or 2 ago.

Awful and quite sad.

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  14. may24

may24 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This brain related death stuff is too much. No one gets curious when someone at my large company commits suicide.
    Was it the air quality? sitting in front of a computer all day??
    Plus When you are getting paid millions a year, these are the risks you take.

15. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As the days go by, I feel worse about it.

Someone else said it best. JS didn't live in San Diego. He was San Diego. Born and raised. I can not imagine
    an athlete more revered in any city than JS. I know I knew nothing about his personal life, but it still doesn't add up that he could commit suicide without
    having some sort of brain damage related to football.

I am convinced his suicide was a copycat of Dave Duerson. He shot himself in the heart. It is well known that suicide is committed by shooting yourself in the head.
    There is too much of a chance of survival when shooting yourself in the heart. Part of him must have known that his depression was
    concussion related and he saved his brain for examination.

His brain will be examined by Boston University for concussion related brain damage. I am 90% sure the examination will show some type of
    brain damage from football.

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  16. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i agree it doesn't make any sense. and no note? honestly it wouldn't be that hard to stage something like this to look like a suicide. i don't think we'll ever know.

17. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am also convinced that if he had sought help, he could have been saved. It is difficult for anyone, let alone an NFL player that always had to show toughness, to seek help.

One thing really struck home with me. His mother said he did not know about any of his problems. This was similar to what I went through in life. For various reasons, I never had parents to talk about problems with. It is tough. A parent should create a relationship with their children where the children can talk to them about anything. I have a feeling that JS did not have the type of parents he could talk out his problems with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.