1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Does $20 sammy work with Alamo car upgrade?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by ScoobyDoo, Apr 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Has anyone tried to tip when picking up the car rental to get an upgrade?

I've got a booking w/Alamo for a compact and I was wondering if there was any chance of tipping the garage guy to get a nicer class car.

2. wrrossi

wrrossi Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've tried it 3 times at Alamo and it worked all 3 times. But, a word of caution, don't try it with a supervisor. I always try it with the person in the lot. And, you must fold it up and do it discreetly. There are cameras everywhere. I usually book a compact and sometimes there aren't any available at the time you arrive, so they automatically give you a bigger car.

3. NandJfrmNJ

NandJfrmNJ VIP Whale

We have never paid for an upgrade and have always gotten one just by asking nicely. We're talking about compact to mid size though, not compact to premium.

4. bdg626

bdg626 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    whenever i try, i usually ask politely (no tip) and get the upgrade. except when i booked a compact/standard and tried to go for luxury. but even then, the upgrade price was only $12 a day. not bad at all!
    :beer:

5. 604jimmy

604jimmy Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I arrive late all the compacts are gone already. Automatic upgrade!

One time I told the guy it was my birthday and he upgraded me, he kinda of stuck around for a bit. Maybe hoping for a tip.

6. Scooterpig

Scooterpig Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Alamo at McCarron seems to have a ton of minivans. We got a free upgrade because they only had one (mid size suv) vehicle in our class to offer.

7. lucky13

lucky13 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i would ask the lot attendant
    the person at the desk will try to upsell you to a better class of car , this happened to me , i declined and when i got to the lot they were out of compacts so i got a free upgrade to fullsize
    i almost paid for something i was gonna get free anyway ....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.