1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Help me with my mLife math

Discussion in 'Comps' started by sageblue, Apr 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sageblue

sageblue High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just saw that I received an offer for Aria with discounted room rates, but comp nights if I earn 1250 points a day.

I've never really played much with mLife, so I haven't tracked how long it takes me to earn anything.

Here's my math to see how easy it would be to get the points required.

Let's say that I bet $1 a spin on slots (usually do more, but let's make the math easy). I think I might average 10 spins a minute (and that might be slow, but let's assume that I get bonus games, drinks, smokes, etc.). That's $600 coin in an hour, and therefore it'd take me a little over four hours of slot play a day, right?

Also, since my partner and I would probably play on the same card, then we'd get there twice as fast....

Right now we're booked at Wynn ($400 for 3 nights with $100 free play), but we've wanted to try Aria.

Thoughts?

PS: would calling them get me a better offer if I throw in my Black Label status at Borgata in AC? Wishful thinking I know, but I I thought I'd ask.

2. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    yes, the math is right, but no, they couldn't care less what you do at Borgata.

3. y2mulder

y2mulder Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

Your math is right, but you better make sure to dodge the premium slots, or you will be sitting there for a week. Just got back from Vegas yesterday, and NONE of them were marked at MB and Mirage. I dropped $50 on Tarzan, and got a whopping 7 points. No signage.

4. sageblue

sageblue High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wasn't aware that different slots give you different earning rates: if you ask, will they tell you which those are?

5. bdg626

bdg626 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's easy to tell. If you bet $2 and don't get a point added to your current session then it is a premium slot that requires $10 in to get 1 point. It's really annoying that you have to guess.

6. y2mulder

y2mulder Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I guess they will give you a list at the players club booth, but then you get to wander around with it like you are holding a shopping list......

Whatever. My bias with Mlife is well documented, and this is why. If you are willing to risk $5,000,000 in coin in dodging this minefield trying to earn 1250 a day, then have fun. Myself, throwing $400 at Wynn would be MUCH cheaper in the long run.

7. Grid

Grid Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just got back last week from Vegas. I play mostly .25 & $1.00 slots. I avoid specialty games at MGM properties like a rash. With that said I earned almost 8,000 points during my stay over 4 days (2 at Mirage & 2 at Bellagio) so it seems pretty easy to do if you want to risk it. Plus when all was said and done I had a pile of express comps and $75.00 in point play that I burned.

There are a bunch of Mlife haters on here, sure I hate the whole specialty thing as well on slots, but over all I like the program and I seem to get a lot out of it.

8. sageblue

sageblue High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the insights. If we play slots, we usually play what I guess they'd consider specialty slots (the newer ones), so that's a downside. However, we're homer gamblers, in that we typically gamble a fair amount where we're staying, so I would think that between us it wouldn't be too difficult. Decisions, decisions.

9. y2mulder

y2mulder Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bias aside then, I will state that you will need to cycle $12,500 through slots a day if you are playing the premium ones. Any promo based on a point accrual total, dealing with that stuff....knowing that they will not tell you where the premium ones are....I would completely avoid.

The premium slots are basically anything fancy without reels. Just too many to avoid, and for that kind of play, you can do MUCH better than working off a 1 or 2 night comp.

Take all that for what you will. I really wouldn't be such a dick if they were marked, but they aren't. No one can possibly defend that kind of behavior.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  10. sageblue

sageblue High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So, I called mLife (twice) to learn more about the offer. The rep said that all slots--reel and specialty--are $2:1. I questioned her twice and she repeated that all slots are at that ratio. Obviously I don't have a recording of it, but it'd be interesting to question the people on the ground and see what they say then. I booked the offer, just so I have it n my pocket: I have yet to decide if we will end up doing it. I'm not going to chase comps here: $79/night is a rate I can live with easily. Now we just have to decide!

11. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Like so many companies, the people on the phone really do not have a clue. Try calling a cruiseline to ask something. Most have never been on a ship. Ask folks on boards like this for better answers.

12. bdg626

bdg626 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    you called it perfectly. the $79 rate is great. you can always go and play at a level you're comfortable with and if you see yourself getting pretty close, pretty fast, then go for it. otherwise, if you see it's probably not going to happen you can cut back or go elsewhere and play.

13. Commodore69

Commodore69 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Exactly. It's easy to get caught up in chasing the full stay comp, but in the grand scheme - $59, $79, $129 a night depending on the property is reasonable to pay vs. rack without feeling like you have to risk 10 grand.

I've managed to get 2 rounds of 3-night comps at Aria with semi lo-roller funds. Not exactly sure how, but I do play with some thought to who might be watching what. Hit up some 2-coin $5 slots for an hour (odds good, so easy to build up some coin-thru with minimum risk). Play plenty of video poker (takes longer to build comps, but odds allow likelihood of longer play). Various $1 machine action. A lot of poker buy-ins. Don't know how it all shakes out, but working good so far.

If all room comps stop this next visit (3 weeks), I'm inclined to occasionally pay the "mLife" rate of around $129 or so for a great room at a great property. For me, it is worth the luxury. Of course, will still be angling for the comps! :wave:

14. y2mulder

y2mulder Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, then they must have changed that as of 3 days ago. Either way, Aria is a GREAT hotel, and even at $79/night isn't the worst deal in the world. Go have fun, and good luck!!

15. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They have had what they call special slots for some time now. Many posters have indicated you can see the difference in credits right on the machine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.