1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Why is airfare up when gas has come down?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Candy Apple, Apr 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In February, after air fare dropped some, I booked two SW flights to Vegas for May and found a really cheap rate at the IP.

It appears the dates I picked aren't the best for us and June 4-8 would work better. I found a promo code and booked a room at PH for a great rate and am a lot more excited at the chance to stay there rather than IP with all the construction.

I would have already had to pay about $130 more for an increase in flights, but now last week the prices went up even higher and it would cost me an additional $260! :( This I can't understand because gas has come down from nearly $4.00 to around $3.55.

If you were me would you wait to see if flights come down again before changing the dates?

2. sandc4e

sandc4e Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Been watching flights for our New Years trip and they are outrageous. You don't have much time, but I'd still watch the rates. I hear Tuesdays are usually the best day to purchase.

Good luck!

3. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Gas prices may have fallen, but what about the price of jet fuel? Two different animals.

Don't forget that just about every airline has cut flights and capacity which decreases the supply, but the demand hasn't changed much.

If it was me booking a Southwest flight, I'd probably jump on the price now and rebook if it goes down in price. You can use the remaining funds for the next trip? My guess though, they will drop down some in price before your trip.

4. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Unfortunately, I would just end up with a credit I couldn't use. I'd have to fly again by Feb...and really that equates to November to me since I don't travel during the snowy months...and there's no way I can take another trip again in six months. I already regret that I booked the original flights because two weeks later my company cut my hours in half. :(

5. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    At this point, those flights are probably near capacity. No matter what the cost of oil or fuel, that doesn't change the metrics of supply and demand. If the flight isn't full, the prices will come back down but since they are going up, they must be mostly booked up.

6. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know what to do. This would probably be my only chance to stay at PH. I've priced them previously and now I've looked at the calendars for the next six months and I can't touch the price I got for June.

7. KnowItAll

KnowItAll VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I expect prices to drop 25% on Tuesday

8. jr7110

jr7110 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One of my favorite booking tools is a website called www.yapta.com

You can sign up (it is all free) and input all of the flights that you are interested in monitoring, and it will send you an email the moment the fare changes.

It is a very useful site so you can pounce on a cheap fare right away and not lose out. I also use it it monitor fares since I book Jet Blue, and they refund you the difference as a credit into your travel bank whenever the fare drops on a ticket you have booked.

9. pbrehob

pbrehob Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I fly out of Indy and am pricing a trip for late June. The fare calendar was showing $232 each way from May through July. I checked Bing last week and it said to expect a price drop in the next 7 days. This weekend all of May and the first few days of June have dropped to $168 each way. I went to Bing again and it says to wait. Shows it is expecting a drop of $78-$147 (round trip) in the next week with an 86% confidence level.

I haven't used Bing for this often enough to gauge it's accuracy. I am planning on giving it through this week and buying toward the weekend regardless.

10. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I dont think they gas-up once or twice weekly like we do

You'd really have to ask someone who works for an airline but,my understanding is that they sign contracts for massive amounts of fuel that may insure they have a supply for a longer period of time. So if the price goes down it doesnt really affect them the next day like it does us.

11. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some random and perhaps repetitive thoughts:

1. Today's fuel prices reflect decisions made months ago.
    2. Totally different fuel markets.
    3. Capacity and yield, as correctly pointed out, is probably the #1 factor.
    4. Advance booking helps, sometimes. Sometimes it hurts.
    5. Deals always are available. And if not deals, at least price variability.

Toward #5. I took a trip last week that if I varied airports I could shave off more than 1/3 of the cost. If I changed days, I could add hundreds to the flight, or subtract a lesser amount. If I looked longer in the future prices dropped down to what I consider "normal" range we've seen the past several years. If I changed locations within the larger destination, the rates moved around significantly. The one "fact" in it all is price volatility.

The key to saving money in leisure travel is flexibility. Obviously someone needing to scratch a Vegas jones gets no relief when flights to Puerto Vallarta bottom out. As much as possible, we shop price-- and that includes room options -- then make the calendar fit. If you have multiple departure airport options it's a real boon. But travel days still matter mightily.

12. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you very much. That was helpful. I'm going to wait and check again on Tuesday.

13. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I actually got a good deal today, I usually book with SWA as they are the only airline that flies direct from Columbus, Oh to LV, but their prices have gone thru the roof, for the two of us it was gonna cost $888 round trip.

We checked around and booked with Delta for $479 round trip, thats for both of us! We have a 54 min layover on the way out and a 1hr on the way back. Small price to pay for that savings, there may be a baggage charge of $50, but we still save over $350!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.