1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

White Sox perfect game

Discussion in 'The Sports Book' started by Buddha, Apr 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buddha

Buddha VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK, let's hear it for Phil Humber of the White Sox, and his perfect game today.

I doubt anyone had a side bet on that special "no-no" happening. :nono:

2. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Huzzah! for the perfect game. Interesting how so many no-hitters or perfect (or near-perfect) games happen early in the season.

3. Buddha

Buddha VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The funny part is that Humber is the Sox #5 starter, and had his first start of the season rained out, and his turn got passed over. His next start left him with a 1.69 ERA, but still a record of 0-0, with his team-mates just not scoring much for him. He solved that problem today.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  4. KnowItAll

KnowItAll VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    MLB said its unofficial cause it was against the Mariners. You can't play againts a AA team and have it count. :wink2:

5. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am from MN and a Twins fan, for a guy that I think 5 teams (including the Twins) waived, him throwing a perfect game is incredible.

I will say one thing- the very last pitch, a 3-2 pitch 2 miles outside and in the dirt was ball 4 and the home plate ump blew the call. Nonetheless, had he been given a walk, and the next guy gotten out a no hitter is pretty impressive as well.

6. Buddha

Buddha VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The last pitch was not a "call" 3rd strike. The batter offered at the low & outside slider, and "tried" to check his swing, went a little too far, and the ump rang him up.
    But, with 1st base open, and Pierzynski chasing after the ball, it's classified as a "drop 3rd strike", and they had to throw him out at 1st.

7. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    He didn't offer. sorry. I move my arm farther to brush my teeth than that supposed swing. Thats why he was still standing in the batters box arguing, it wasn't even close.

8. Buddha

Buddha VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well ... you'll have to take that up with an appeal to the umpire, because that is exactly what he called.

9. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know he did, but I have seen that one at bat 100 times and he wasn't even close to offering. Humans make mistakes all the time. Remember the Tigers pitcher that was robbed of a no hitter, last year I think?? Even that ump admitted he blew that call. It happens. It is a great accomplishment, especially by a guy virtually noone wanted.

10. cha4zz

cha4zz Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's a great achievement and fair play to Humber but you certainly wouldn't have picked Humber as likely to pitch a no hitter.

Not sure whether Ryan checked his swing or not, but after the drama of last year you can't blame the umpire for erring on the side of caution and siding with the pitcher.

Not trying to take anything away from the achievement, but the Mariners offense is just horrible. Worse than some farm teams.

11. hirschey76

hirschey76 Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Without doing any formal research, the most no-hitters and perfect games occur in September and early October when many teams do trot out minor leagurers called up due to the expanded rosters. Also in April, many pitchers are on pitch counts where it is more difficult to get deep into games with no-hitters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.