1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

My first big tournament

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by veck101, Oct 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. veck101

veck101 Tourist

My Trip Report

This is my first trip report and is mostly about my tournament experience. Warning: There is alot of poker jargon.

I had won several smaller home tournaments with prizes ranging from $300-700 and I almost made it in the money at a bigger one at a local card club. So I figured I’d give a big tournament a try ($175,000 prize pool). It was my birthday, and I wanted to see how I held up against the big dogs. I saw this post Hard Rock Hold 'Em Tournament and after much thought through the week I decided I’d give it a shot. Even though the buy in was high ($1060), I justified it by saying my other tournament wins would pay for it. And it came with a two night stay at the Hard Rock too. I was nervous all week, cramming poker books late into the night. I drove in from LA with a friend. We checked in at the Hard Rock, I found the room to be pretty generic and modern at the same time; Ikea-ish would be the best description. I tried to read a little more from TJ Cloutier’s Championship Pot Limit and No Limit book and squeeze in a short nap, but I was too wired to sleep. The tournament was held at Hard Rock’s concert venue, the Joint. They set up 15 poker tables on the concert floor area in front of the stage. You were supposed to be in your seat by 7:15. I came down at around 7:05, as I expected there were a bunch of young and middle aged rich dudes milling about. It was a pro-am tournament and I expected to see a bunch of nobodies since the Hard Rock isn’t exactly a poker hot spot. I was very surprised to see some really big names like TJ Cloutier (HOLY CRAP! I WAS JUST READING HIS BOOK!), Daniel Negreanu, the Unabomber guy, Andy Bloch, Antonio Esfandiari, Mel Judah and Evelyn Ng. Also, I saw the guy from that new ABC series Lost. Don’t know his name, but he’s the tall lead guy. As it turned out, Mel Judah and Evelyn Ng would be at my table. It was like a who’s who of the WPT. I made a couple observations: 1)the pro’s all seemed to know each other and seemed pretty friendly 2)pro’s have really hot girlfriends. I was really really nervous, and was beginning to feel a little dizzy because the adrenaline/ mild dehydration. I constantly felt paranoid thinking my every one of my movements at the table was a tell and every hand I was up against was pocket aces. I had to remind myself to play my normal game and everything would work out. I wish that I can remember individual hands better, but with the exception of a few notable hands, they’re kind of all a blur in my mind now. Like when I had pocket aces and called an all in from a guy with pocket 4’s and sucked him out. I even won a couple hands against the pros at the table. After the first hour I had an above average stack, so I was feeling pretty good. Then the guy next to me decides to go all in and the two pro’s also go all in. He wins when they miss their draws, since there is a $500 bounty on each pro’s head he wins $1000 right there and becomes by far the biggest stack at the table. For the next hour he makes a bunch of huge overbets for relatively small pots, at first he is successful and builds his stack up more. Slowly, his stack gets eaten away as he gets called on his overbets by stronger hands. The blinds progressively go up and an ante is introduced. The blinds and antes begin eating away at my stack. Then I get dealt one of my favorite lucky hand: Q-9, it’s a pretty crappy no limit hand, but better than Doyle’s 10-2. I come in for a raise hoping to steal the blinds. The other big stack at the table calls, uh oh. Luckily, I have Q-9 on my side. The flop comes A-Q-9, two pair! I make a small bet and big stack re-raises all in and I call. He has top pair, but my two pair holds up after the turn and river, doubling me up. I make it into the third hour, if I can get past the third hour I make it into day 2. The blinds at this point are big at 400-800 with 100 antes. Again, my stack is getting eaten away, I get dealt J-10 suited, not great. I’m on the button and one guy in front of me limps in. I bring it in for a raise of about three times the big blind which is about half my stack, again, hoping to steal the blinds and knocking out the limper. The blinds fold, but limper guy calls. Flop is 8-8-9, so I have an open ended strait draw. Limper checks and I make a semi-bluff with almost the rest of my stack. Limper thinks for a while and goes all in. Since I’m pretty much pot committed, I call. He turns over 8-9, a full house! I’m drawing dead. I have him covered so I have about 800 remaining in my stack after that big hit. A couple hands later I’m out. In the end, I did pretty well, I finished 40-something out of a field of 150. Not bad for an amateur. Apparently, Andy Bloch went on to win the whole thing. The rest of my trip consisted of low limit hold’em (4-8) at the Mandalay, Harrahs, and the Horseshoe . I also tried the steakhouse at the Horseshoe on Saturday. I had the French onion soup and bleu cheese rib eye and they gave me a slice of chocolate cake for our table to share since it was my birthday. I was all very good. I had a massage at the Rio Spa Sunday (a birthday gift from a friend staying there) and it was home not too long after that.

Now I need to build my poker bankroll back up for another shot at greatness.

2. Dean Martin

Dean Martin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Veck...that is a great report! And here I didn't even play cuz some guys at the Mirage told me that the house rakes so much from every hand that even if you win, you lose. Sounds like the table tournaments are definately the way to go.... a little smaller buy-in would be my speed though. Kudos to you...what an experience! ~ Dino :cool:

3. abner2xday

abner2xday High-Roller

Sounds like you had a great time. Wish I had the $$ to enter a big tourney like that. Someday...

As for the hand that crippled you, IMHO, more and more players are using blind stealing as an indication of weakness on the part of the stealer. That's probably why he called you with 8-9. Personally, in no-limit if I am first in I like raising the same amount (1.5 or double the min raise) preflop no matter what. It disguises your hand and gives no read to your opponents. It also sets up a play later where you can try to steal the blinds when you do have a big pair or big slick, if they read weakness and call, you're probably ahead. Once this is accomplished you can go in for any amount and have everyone wonder.

Congrats on your great tourney!

4. YoungGun

YoungGun VIP Whale

Thanks a lot. Definately not an everyday trip report.

5. LV Terry

LV Terry Captain Flop'N Fold

Great report Veck, thanks for writing it up. I know what you mean about the hands being a blur.

Better luck next time!

T.

6. Smarra17

Smarra17 Poker Queen

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great report Veck, I always love a good poker story. I am looking forward to November so I can try out my poker skill in Vegas. Your report just gives me more fuel for the fire! I think I would have been totally floored if I had seen all those "names" in the room. You did great for your first live tourney!

7. veck101

veck101 Tourist

Thanks everybody.

Abner, thanks for the insight. At that point, that was about the standard raise for the table. Technically, I was ahead preflop too. What can you do when the flop hits the guy like a ton of bricks? I guess I could have checked and folded if he bet, but I didn't have a good read on the guy. I think that's when experience plays a big role. I looked it up and you flop a full house about 1 in every 700 hands or so...sheesh!

Smarra, it actually wasn't my first live tourney, but my first BIG tourney. Before this one I played in $20-100 buy in tournaments.

See you at the tables.

8. rdrfn70

rdrfn70 Low-Roller

Great story I love Vegas and Poker stories.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.