1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

late trip report - 12/28 - 1/2/03

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by nittany, Jan 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nittany

nittany Tourist

My Trip Report

Better late than never, right?

We loved it!
    Trip started out rough. We were supposed to have a 9pm flight on friday 12/27 from philly on AWA (we booked it about a month ago when national went out of business), unfortunately the flight was overbooked by 14. so we volunteered and collected our 400 bucks each in awa vouchers (yay!), and they checked us into the holiday inn airport (also gave us 10 dollar vouchers for dinner at the HI and 5 dollar vouchers for breakfast which we used at 5am at the burger king in the airport).
    Since we lost our first night, and had originally been on the 12:44 am 1/1 back to philly (and i had already paid for the room for the night of 1/1 so we'd have somewhere to crash) we had them move us to the 4:51pm on the 2nd...so all was well. (plus 800 bucks in vouchers [​IMG] but it was really a pain)
    Rental car: had an unbelievable deal with dollar (using the DESTC code) of 99.99 for the week (128 with taxes), which they upped when we changed the dates and times (we argued a bit and got them to knock 10% off and wound up paying 150 with taxes)
    Las Vegas Club
    Hotel was ok, service exceptional and extremely friendly, room was...ok. We had a super cheap room in the south tower so i wasn't expecting much. Room was large and clean, there were cigarette holes in the carpet and the nightstand (along with a bit of a stale smoke odor...but i bough 2 1$ air fresheners to take care of that), bathroom was old but clean. Fun place to gamble, hubby and i both play bj and they always had a 5$ single deck game going, even on nye! got comped 3 dinners and a breakfast which was nice too.
    Coupons Coupons Coupons
    Was lucky enough to have couponqueen out there before us, she was nice enough to drop off a huge envelope (including the remainder of her 2002 pov) at our front desk for us when we checked in! Thanks Pat! Unfortunately we picked the wrong time of year to go for coupons, most had expired by the time we arrived on the 28th, but we still used alot. Hubby bought a book of match plays (binions, strat, plaza, etc) so we ran around to use them as they expired on the 30th. Even though we did most of our gambling at the LVC, we also used just about ever matchplay in our pov and pat's plus a few random matchplays (6 at ip, 3 at terribles, 2 at golden gate, 2 at palms) plus matchplays from the funbooks at the plaza and terribles...whew!!!! Word of warning, the coast properties (barbary, gold, orleans) refused to accept any pov coupons on the date they expired. Dealer said they used too, they were just tired of them in general, so i don't know how accepting they will be of them in 03.

Food
    Comped 3 dinners and a breaky at the LVC. Ate all of them at the upper deck cause we chose to eat dinner late (other restaurants were closed).
    Used the entertainment card at the Great Moments Room in the LVC. Was really really good. Meals came with soup or salad (we both had the asian salad which had a fabulous asian dressing), i had veal medallions (6 huge pieces with risotto and veggies..yumm), hubby had rack of lamb (EIGHT large lamb chops, really, really superb) we each had a glass of wine (he had a 4$ glass of shiraz, i had a 2.50$ glass of pinot grigio), they took off one meal (and told us we could come back and show the card for 20% off food for the rest of 03) and with tip it came to 31 dollars! yay!
    Use POV coupon at the palms for blue agave restaurant. I had a dozen oysters and a bowl of green chili clam chowder, fabulous! Husband had chipolte chicken pasta (he's allergic to seafood- very good but really really hot, waitress had to bring him a glass of milk!), and we each had an enormous margarita, and with the 1/2 off it came to 20 bucks!
    Used various coupons for cheap breakfasts and lunch (i had called ahead for the el cortez downtown funbook, and we had a plaza funbook). We used a few bogo egg mcmuffin at the plaza, use a subway coupon for lunch, used bogo for the gold spike (we had 2 grilled ham and cheese, 2 salads and 2 sodas for 4.75, they let you order as many things as you want and you only pay for 1 of each - even though the place is depressing, the food was quite good) - we even had a coupon for bogo krispy kreme donut [​IMG] .

Other things

We went to the strip on nye day and were totally annoyed. It was mostly drunk 19-21 year olds drinking 4 foot high margaritas and acting obnoxious. The crowds were unbelievable. We played a little at o'sheas and at the ip and had to fight to get into a table and then had to fight to get a drink. I do like the strip, but we avoided it for the rest of our trip

Back d-town for nye. Very enjoyable! We were comped dinner and then played a little single deck at the lvc. I had pre-bought tickets for the freemont experience party (since we lingered over dinner we couldn't get onto freemont street, it was already closed, so we had to go on the regular roads down to the main offices to pick them up, that was a little annoying, i should have just bought them when i got there). The party was great! Really good crowd, fun music and a very nice time. We didn't want to stand in long lines for a drink, so we stuck to buying bottled beer at the various stores along the way (saved money too!). We had a blast dancing to the music and then went across the street at midnight to watch the strip fireworks (or part of them) from the front of the plaza. I thought the whole evening was great and well worth 30 bucks a head! The other good thing was after midnight (and actually even before) we had no problem getting 2 seats at a $5 single deck game at the lvc, which was really nice compared to our earlier experience on the strip.

All in all a fabulous trip! can't wait to use my awa vouchers to go back! may have to do nye there every year [​IMG]

2. Perry Spring

Perry Spring Tourist

Very nice report indeed.......

3. Rurdy2rk

Rurdy2rk Tourist

Great report - 1 question, were you comped for playing $5.00 a hand?

4. nittany

nittany Tourist

some

my hubby, ahem, fluctuates his bet from 5 to 40. i usually bet 5, but occasionally play 10-15. my hubbies avg bet is probably around 10 bucks and he did get most of the comps, but 1 was under my name, and i am definately a $5 player.

in addition, i got some fliers and a letter(under my name) for a $30 room rate anytime (i threw 5 bucks in a video poker machine with my card - and the addressed me as a new slot member - so that may be why)

the lvc seemed to be generous with comps in general (with many of the players we saw)

hope this helps

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.