1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Palazzo, April 27-30

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by DonD, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DonD

DonD VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

My Son In Law asked if we would go to Vegas because he had to do a presentation at the Rio and attend some work related seminars. He wanted my wife to keep her daughter company during the day while he was doing his stuff. OK, I said with a smile.

We had an offer from Palazzo for three nights, $200 gambling credit and $50 food credit available so that made it easier.

Tuesday
    Drove to Vegas which is a 3.5 hour and a 250 mile trip from our house. The drive was great with no accidents but plenty of Highway Patrol. The speed limit is 70 so I usually set my cruise control to 78 and have never had a ticket after hundreds of trips, at least so far.
    Our first stop was Tuscany because of the good video poker and the great food at a very fair price. If I ever decide to make a strip property my home base it would be Tuscany for those reasons. Neither one of us did any good in spite of the good pay tables on their VP machines.

We then headed for the Palazzo and boy was it windy and cold. Parked in the self parking garage because it’s easier than using valet there. I park right next to the elevator that takes you right to the entrance to the rooms. I went to check-in and they had a room available for us on the 42 floor facing the golf course. I prefer those rooms because of the view. We get to the room and the maid has her card in the door and says she has not even started to clean it yet and would be a while before it would be ready. I asked if we could leave our luggage and she said it would be OK.

Decided to go down and hit the machines. I went to this bank of VP machines that I always play at due to the fact that the pay table on DDB is/was better than any other in Palazzo. After playing a few hands I noticed that the payouts had changed from our last trip. I asked a slot mechanic that was working on a machine right next to me if they had changed the payouts. He said no they had not to which I replied that I know for a fact that this machine had a 9-5 payout just a few weeks ago and he said he didn’t think so. After about fifteen minutes went by he came back and said in fact they had changed them and he felt real bad that he HAD to lie to me. He was told not to discuss it with the patrons. The only VP I played there was the penny 50 play machine for the rest of our stay. My money seems to last longer there.

In the evening we went to play BJ as we always do and found a $10 table that paid off at 3-2. After about 20 minutes they changed it to $15 and said we could play out the shoe at $10 and 15 minutes later they changed it to $25. Oh well, we wandered around and found another $15 tables and played there for a few hours. I couldn't’t get a run going so I ended up down about $150.

Wednesday

We drove over to the Rio to pickup my DIL for lunch and drove over to the El Cortez. The wife and I had the Prime Rib which was great and DIL had a veggie burger that she said was one of the best she has ever had. The bill for all three was under $30. I love that place.

My wife and DIL then went to the roulette table because it was $1 minimum and .25 bet. Palazzo was $15 minimum. I played a VP game called Three Way Action. I love those machines. In the past I’ve been very lucky on them. This time not so.

After a few hours we went back to Palazzo to show DIL the room and she flipped. Somehow they had heard the Rio had the nicest rooms in town and she was shocked. The Palazzo has very nice rooms but I really do prefer the ones at Encore.

I went downstairs to play the 50 play VP machines. After about 30 minutes this girl comes up and says, Don, you’ve been randomly selected and have won two tickets to Blue Man Group for Thursday night.
    I asked her if she was a time share salesperson and she said no that the computer had selected me because I had my players card in the machine. Really a nice bonus.

DIL left and the wife and I played some more BJ. Still no luck. While playing, this guy sits down and starts complaining about the cocktail service being very slow to which I agree it was. The dealer said that they had laid off some more girls and that was the reason.

Thursday
    We drove over to the Rio and picked up DIL & SIL for a lunch at the El Cortez. Three of us had the Prime Rib and DIL had the veggie burger again. I had a hard time talking SIL to have the Prime Rib but he finely gave in, he thanked me for the rest of the day.

The three of them hit the roulette table and had a blast. By the way, they didn’t think they liked to gamble but at those limits it was cheap entertainment. I went to my machine and continued to lose, not much but lose.

After a few hours we headed back to Palazzo and I decided to give my Blue Man Group ticket to my DIL. She was really happy about that. I went to play and they went to the show. After the show the wife told me that I wouldn’t have liked it at all and she wouldn’t go again even if it was free. DIL said it was just OK. I guess it’s one of those shows that you love or hate.

That evening, we went to Zine to take advantage of the $50 food credit. We both ordered the Chilean sea bass. I love the taste of sea bass and they put some OK sauce on it. Why change the taste with sauce?

Friday
    Got up early and drove home. Lost more than I usually do but had a fun trip. I’ll get it back next time.

Below is the view from our room:

[​IMG]

2. zerofan

zerofan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great review Don!!!!

Beautiful pic as well......what a nice view!

I don't play golf, but I appreciate the beauty of some of the courses.

3. doctor_al

doctor_al VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Beautiful course with... no players on it?

LOL@ your son-in-law "talking you into" going...

Glad you strong-armed him into the EC prime rib. Was talking about that just the other day with JonnyU.

4. SloppyJoe

SloppyJoe Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was not going to take my golf clubs, but now you have me thinking otherwise. This will not make my wife very happy. Damn you DonD, or maybe I should be thanking you DonD. Hmmmm... I hope my wife doesn't read the reply.

5. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, I guess I've got lunch figured out for Saturday!

Good report and nice pic. What a view!

6. happy_gimp

happy_gimp Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great report! I never have much luck on the machines at Palazzo either.

7. Lorraine

Lorraine Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for posting.. I wondered what some of the room views were.. looks like you had a nice one! I haven't yet gambled in the Palazzo.. interesting the attendant told you he was sorry for lying...lol

8. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think the 5 Benjamin green fee has something to do with that.

9. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, I wonder if we may have passed each other; we were in Vegas 24-30th and stayed at Palazzo 25th-30th. I noticed they'd knocked back the payscales on the poker machines as well!! It was crazy cool and windy......sure missed my pooltime!:eek:

10. DonD

DonD VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We probably did pass one another. I'm not sure if I'm going back there. I play a lot of VP and those machines don't give you a fighting chance anymore. I wish I had noticed your dates there, we could have had a drink or two. :beer:

11. Beach Crazy

Beach Crazy Hostess With the Mostess

Nice to hear you had a good trip in spite of your losses. Cocktail service on my last 3 or 4 trips has been basically non-existent, even when you are playing the tables. I'm beginning to think that's a new trend and I don't like it. :rolleyes2:

12. gotavegasjones

gotavegasjones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Short trip. Nice TR. Thanks for posting.

later, GVJ

13. peanutmnm

peanutmnm Scotchy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice recap Don. I've been lucky with drink service. Maybe I over tip....:beer:

Does anyone else think it's tacky to not grandfather players in at the lower rate for more than the remainder of the shoe? It almost feels like they are asking you to leave when they do that.

14. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We attended the meet from Blonde's board in a penthouse at the Palms.....awesome meet. Wish we'd known you would be in town....but don't worry, I had those drinks anyway, lol:eek:

15. 21wins

21wins VIP Whale

Nice TR Don. Short and to the point.

I agree with peanut that you should have been grandfathered longer than the shoe @ original dollar amount. Talk about crummy customer service.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.