1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

How do you write your trip reports?

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by tush17, Mar 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tush17

tush17 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

I am thinking of doing one for when I am in Vegas March 10th-15th staying at the Aria, however I feel like I will be so drunk and doing so many different things that I won't remember anything by the end of the trip.

Maybe my only option is Live Reports.

Just curious what do those of you who write fairly detailed trip reports do?

2. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm a note taker. I'm pretty compulsive about keeping receipts for my recordkeeping too, so that always helps to reconstruct the night. We take breaks during our visits and I usually jot down a couple notes about something I want to remember to share and I write it all up when I get home.

The smart phone phenomena is changing the approach to trip reports though. I still prefer one giant report that details the hilights of the trip from start to finish over the "chat room"/twitter type of postings on some of the trip reports here. But for the true TR addicts, any kind of report about Vegas is a good one. :wink2:

3. tvon

tvon VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    bring a compact camera that fits into your pocket.. and take lots of photos. Not only does it help you remember, but TR's with photos are always the best TR's

4. tush17

tush17 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:

Good tip. Good thing my smart phone also has a 3.2 megapixel camera. Looks like I'll be taking notes or posting live updates and also take alot of pictures.

5. Dean Martin

Dean Martin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can never do the play by play either so I always just catogorize my TR by Hotel, Restaurants, Gambling, Shows, etc...:beer:

6. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I used to do long and detailed trip reports.

To keep track of the details I took a lot of photos (often 300+ per trip) and I carried a little note pad in my pocket as well as my camera has a voice record option that I could make quick notes with. Then at the end of each day I would flesh out notes back in the hotel room.

When I got back home I would do my reports up as web pages with the photos within the report.

That said, I actually wound up getting complaints that some of the pictures weren't very good and that with so much detail it made the reports long winded and boring :) :) :)

From that I didn't bother to do up trip reports for my last three trips.

The first 2008 report is still out there on the net though if anybody ever wanted to read it:
    http://www3.telus.net/public/cjpatt1/vegas2008a/

My free web hosting doesn't give me space enough to post the other reports though, so just that one is still up there.

7. luvlv

luvlv Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I do one..

It tends to be a day to day. I don't go into as much detail as some, but just a general outline of the day and any real highlights. But, I have to do it as soon as I get home, before things start getting muddled.

8. BackInVegas

BackInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    memory only

strictly by memory. If I forget stuff, fine.

Some things are better off forgotten.

9. BlondWidow

BlondWidow Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I go by memory too. Sometimes I feel like I get too detailed, but who knows.

I have to say, I like the ones where people post in days or sections. They are always cool to read. Doesn't necessarily have to be a live report, I just like that broken up, not all one long post (like I write) format. I may try it that way after our May trip. :)

10. doctor_al

doctor_al VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Breakfast is a good time to make notes about standouts from the day before. It's a function of a good vegas trip that by then end, the stuff at the beginning seems like a long time ago, hence the notes.

A couple thoughts on TR writing:
    Helps to ask, what story are you telling? Doesn't have to be a Hunter Thompson Gonzo story, but if you summed up your trip in 3-5 short headlines what would they be? Not all detail is bad but if you trim the detail to what supports the story, it makes for a better read. For example, if you document your gambling wins/losses, is the story that you were an overall winner, loser, or choppy break-even for the trip? If you detail every win/loss by the end the reader will have lost track.

The other thing that helps people follow is if you group things, like all your restaurant reviews in one place, all your gambling in one, etc. Otherwise you have to work a little harder to help keep people up with the thread of the story.

Also, whitespace is the reader's friend - meaning, break it up with paragraphs. People panic if it looks like the monolith from 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Lastly - don't worry about whether people will like it or not. People like all kinds of TR's. Epic, brief, foodie, miscreant, somebody will read it who will appreciate your viewpoint.

11. HurricaneMikey

HurricaneMikey A-List Buffoon

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I see what you did there...

12. sin

sin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I do a tr I go by memory. mine is pretty good. even when I'm blotto I remember lots of stuff. I have to write it fairly soon upon my return though or I brain dump a lot of details to fill my brain with the work stuff again.

like Sonya, I prefer a well written report over the twitter/facebook short updates. My favorites are the ones that are written day-by-day.

13. mesa

mesa VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I try to start out jotting things down but that falls by the wayside or I can't read my writing:drunk: Sally try's to keep all the dining receipts so at least we know where we ate. We also take a lot of pics but thats slowing down as we have a lot of the same shots just in different years:thumbsup:

14. Blonde_4_ever

Blonde_4_ever LasVegas4ever.com

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ah...trip reports...my favorite thing![​IMG]

I love writing the report ALMOST as much as the trip itself.

I prefer diary style reports, that take you thru EVERYTHING done on each day.

I also jot down a few notes during the day, as the others have said. It is amazing how just a word or two will jog your memory .
    It would be awful to have your whole trip lost in an alcoholic haze!

I also take lots of pictures and videos so I can illustrate my story as I go along.
    I want everyone to feel like they are right there with me on my journey.

And joy of joys...I get to write another one soon! I can't wait!
    [​IMG]

15. S'AllGoodMan

S'AllGoodMan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We do them from memory and some notes and texts from our phones... I like the detailed diary ones the best. It reads like a story and I just love that. New to this forum, but my husbands writes great reports! We're going back the end of May so watch for our first TR here.

Beth

16. RebelDiceMan

RebelDiceMan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It tend to take notes. If my trip is over 4 days long, things tend to run together somewhat. Sometimes I forget some interesting stuff until I read that little reminder and then most of the details come back. My TRs tend to be pretty long since I never met a detail I didn't like but I always forewarn people of that up front. Lately, I have been having trouble finding the time to get them done. I hope to end that trend with my Spring Break trip next week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.