1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

August 16 - 21 at the Rio.

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by ODCaloney, Aug 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ODCaloney

ODCaloney Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

I'm no where near as talented as some of you are writing trip reports.

Arrived at McCarran a few minutes before the scheduled landing of 12:55PM on Sunday, August 16th.
    Early arrival made us smile. Grabbed our bags, picked up the rental and were on our way.
    Since we had my 83 year old Mother with us, we opted for a Kia mini SUV, which made it easy for her to get in and out.

We drove down Las Vegas Boulevard heading north, checking out the changes and the construction that I read about from the fine members of VMB. It was too early to check-in at the Rio, so I agreed to stop at Circus Circus so my wife could play on the “Crazy Cops†slots. After a half an hour I had more than my fill of this place.

Got to The Rio and was able to get 2 connecting suites in the Ipanema tower overlooking the pools/strip, one was comped for the 5 days and the other was $44.80.
    The rooms were nice, in need of a remodeling, but still were clean and roomy. We were happy with the rooms.

We decided to stay in the hotel for the rest of the day and chose Rub for dinner. Not expecting much, I was pleasantly surprised by the meals, the chicken was very good, my wife had the brisket and said it was good as well (she's a Texan and knows a good brisket) the Cole slaw had chopped onions in it and was excellent. Great waiter, by the way! 20% tip.

Monday we stayed mostly at the hotel, except for a trip to the grocery store for water and a drive to the liquor store for a bottle of Bacardi.

Tuesday we went for breakfast at the wrong Hash House, it was still good, the rest was Venetian day...we had Blue Man tickets for the 7PM show. The show was great, except for the woman in front of me. Annoying is all I'll say.

Wednesday was breakfast at the Maple Tree, it was OK. Next we spent about a half a day at the Meadows Mall, mainly Dillard's, and the Premium Outlets. I figured that shopping is cheaper than gambling. At least I get something for my money. We had planned to have dinner at Ricardo's Mexican Restaurant and go to FSE afterwards, but my Mother got ill and killed those plans....we stayed in again.

Thursday we ate breakfast in the Rio's Sao Paulo restaurant and went to the Monte Carlo in the afternoon. My wife was winning on the slots when she discovered her iPhone was missing...panic ensued. Red case on the iPhone and you know what the carpet looks like...lost forever.
    After returning to the Rio to check the room, we returned to the MC to check their lost and found, somebody actually turned it in and we recovered the phone...amazing!!
    Ate in the Cafe for dinner, food was comforting and the waitress was fabulous...left her a 20% tip!

I used the valet services for parking and tipped $2 each time. I recommend this to everyone who rents a car here. Overall the city was friendly and seemed to go out of their to provide top notch service.
    The drivers didn't run red lights or cut you off.....that was totally unexpected.

Got on the plane Friday afternoon and arrived home at midnight. We really wanted to stay a few more days.
    Saturday I started planning a return trip for our 32nd anniversary in October, this time just the two of us....

2. chinlover

chinlover Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice trip report! I am so glad your wife got her iphone returned. Great that you took your mother. Thanks for the report. :cheers:

3. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    RUB is one of my favorite places to eat. I love good ribs and they all have a hard time competing with Mike's Smokehouse in Eau Claire. But RUB comes close!!!

Glad your phone was returned to you. Biggest loss was my camera last November but it's replaced - life goes on.

Easter again..:
  4. blackjacknut

blackjacknut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice TR, thanks for posting.

5. nitc

nitc Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good report. Very easy read. Sorry your mother became ill, but sounds like you all still had a nice time.

6. VegasDiva

VegasDiva VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    great TR glad you and you mom n wife all had a grand trip

7. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like a fun time!

Did you find any iPhones at the Rio by any chance?

8. BackInVegas

BackInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Free shuttle from RIO to other Harrah's properties

I realize with your Mom with you, you probably chose the rental car. But for the 32nd anniversary I would skip the car.

Plenty of cabs and free shuttles to find your way around. Plus, no worrying about the car getting hammered.

Awesome you took your mother with you. I wish I would have done that. She would have been a riot to drink with in vegas. Probably embarrassing, but it would have been a great memory.

Thanks for the trip report.

9. Blonde_4_ever

Blonde_4_ever LasVegas4ever.com

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The "wrong" hash house?

Not a GO GO?

Thanks for the interesting report.

10. ODCaloney

ODCaloney Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Didn't find any extra iphones.

I'll rent a car since I'll be at the Rio again, unless I can get a deal on the strip.

The GPS listed "Hash House" and I followed the directions. Next time I'll go to the "right" one.

They were handing out some kind of passes at the Rio to the young people, I wasn't offered any so I can't tell you what they were for.

11. gotavegasjones

gotavegasjones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nicely wriiten TR. Thanks for posting. Good *win* on the iphone.

later, GVJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.