1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

30 days in Vegas. 4th Nov to 4th Dec.

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by pebbles, Dec 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pebbles

pebbles Micro Roller.

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

Don't panic, it's not a day by day, blow by blow account of our month in Vegas. I hope it doesn't bore you too much. Sorry it's a bit late. I had to go to Spain almost as soon as we got back from Vegas.

Hotels

Orleans - four different reservations here to take advantage of assorted (cheap) offers.

Reservation 1 - Standard prices for this one. No offers, no free play or food credit. There was also no resort fee, which was nice.

Reservation 2 – $25 per night offer including of $20 free play and $20 food credit. This followed on from the first one and I just went down, checked in and out and kept the same room. No resort fee on the bill for this one either.

Reservation 3 – Another $25 per night offer. No free play or food credit, but we did get Thanksgiving for $25. Not bad considering we paid over $100 for last years Thanksgiving nights. We had the resort fee added to this bill. (I think a supervisor checked me in, probably why we were charged.)

Reservation 4 – Yet another $25 per night offer with the free play and food credit. (No resort fee.)

Barbary Bill’s – Stayed here for nine nights. The prices dropped for some of our nights so I called and got the better rates. Some had also risen, but they let me keep them as they were.

Venetian – Two nights on the $149 per night offer including $50 slot play per day and $50 bar credit for Lavo at Palazzo. Didn’t take long to spend that.
    A bottle of Estrella that we buy for € 0.60 in our local bar in Spain was $9!!! I know it’s imported, but really!

Car hire

We had a car for most of the time we were in Vegas. I think we will be more selective next time, it was extremely convenient, but we did use it just of the sake of it sometimes. We had two separate reservations with Dollar. We booked through car hire 3000, who have the full insurance package requires for UK drivers. We are both Dollar express members and it’s easy to get your car. The girl in the office remembered us from last May and was really nice.

First rental period was easy and painless. Dodge Caliber almost brand new. Good seat adjustment (I’m short) and Digital radio.

The second was not. Disaster! We had the Caliber to begin with and I just chose another. We didn’t have luggage; this is significant. We decided to drive to Silverton for lunch. Halfway there I noticed that the gas tank wasn’t full. When we parked, we looked at the car and it was obvious that it hadn’t been checked properly. There were two coats in the trunk. I called the dollar help number, the woman was no help at all, and so I took the car back. Unfortunately I left the paperwork beside the phone in the Silverton! Nightmare, but finally we sorted it all out (the nice girl in the Express booth was awesome) and ended up with a Hyundai Sonata, which was better for me to drive because it had even more seat adjustments.

Shows

Tom Jones - 10th November - $93.65 each
    Tom Jones at the MGM Hollywood theatre. I really enjoyed the show. I definitely think he was more than slightly tipsy though and he’s had far too much surgery. There were the obligatory knicker-throwing women at the front. Tony was sure they were plants. Tony Curtis and LV Norm from LVRJ were in the audience. Tony Curtis spoke to me when he passed our table as they were leaving, (he spoke to a lot of others too, but this was my first real celebrity sighting.)

Vinnie Favorito – 15th November - $27 each (2 for 1 coupon)
    Good show. Don’t go if you’re easily offended. He picks on the audience mercilessly. Tony had tears rolling down his cheeks at one part. (Laughing, not crying.) He asked us who we were and where we came from, but he can’t have any Brit jokes in his repertoire because he left us alone. We used the two for one from the POV and the Flamingo honoured it even though it was for Oshea’s. Tony wanted to go to see him again this trip, but I persuaded him to leave it until next time.

Neil Sedaka - 16th November - $15 each (2 for 1 coupon)
    This was a good show. Tony liked it more than me because he knew more of the tunes. His voice is still very strong considering he’s getting on a bit now. He did a video duet with his daughter and a couple of tracks from his new album. Thanks to Norm for the half price voucher that he sent us.

Mamma Mia –20th November - $44.75 each
    I was surprised to learn that this show was 2.5 hours long. I don’t suppose you can shorten it much, but they seem to manage with a lot of other shows. It didn’t feel long at all and it was a great show. We both enjoyed it, me more than Tony, but he preferred the Neil Sedaka show.

Ka – 22nd November - $79.40 each
    We really enjoyed Ka. This was our first Cirque show. We were in the cheap seats, but there really isn’t a bad seat in the house. Got to see almost everything, but sometimes there was so much going on I didn’t know where to look.

Commodores - 29th November - $25 each
    It was a crap show. I knew I had made a mistake going to it when the lights went down and the bass notes started booming out. It was rattling my kneecaps! I didn’t recognise many of the songs they sang, they weren’t the ones that made it across to the UK. We were in the fourth row centre, so leaving early would have been difficult.

Gambling

We don’t do much in the way of gambling. This time we did have a bit of free play included in our hotel reservations. We also had coupons for $10 free play at 4 Queens and 2 x $10 at El Cortez. Tony likes to run the exact amount of free play through and then cash out to find out how much he has actually won off the original stake. I don’t know what difference it makes, but he seems to like doing that.

Didn’t get anywhere with Wizard of Oz this time, Goldfish was OK, but not as good as previous times, my old favourite Texas Tea was quite kind to us but all in all no wins, just quite a bit of play (and $1 drinks) for not much money. I have to say my new favourite is Outback Jack. There are several bonus rounds and every one seems good fun. There weren’t many of them around and they were often being played.

I actually played a bit of video poker this time. The best I did was on a deuces wild machine where I got a Royal Flush with a deuce for 125 credits. My best hand ever! I know it’s nothing to some of you but I was well happy. I did get a couple of 4OAK’s here and there, but it was when I was only playing 5c (25c total) so not much to shout about there.

We had a matchplay for $10 from the Orleans coupon sheet. I played it on roulette, and won, but I can't remember how much.

We had a bet on the Ricky Hatton fight. I wanted to put $50 each on, but we ended up doing $50 between us. It all goes in the same pot so it wasn’t a problem. Since the odds were well in Ricky’s favour, there was no point in betting on a win, so we went for the “Won’t go 12 rounds†and as some of you may know, the fight was stopped in the 11th round. A win for us! We picked up $190 and Tony said he wished we’d done the $50 each. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Food

We mostly ate at buffets, Orleans Coffee Shop or Ellis Island. We had the BBQ at Ellis Island three times with a 2 for 1 coupon. It’s currently Tony’s favourite. We had quite a few 2 for 1 and $5 off coupons and used them when we could. The buffets we ate at (in no particular order). Orleans, Rio, Harrah’s, Silverton, Red Rock Station, MSS and Fremont. We ate twice at the Crown and Anchor pub. (Never been there before.) They do a reasonable menu of “Pub Grub.†The free refills on soft drinks are definitely NOT British though. I have to say we ate less this time than we usually do, and felt better for it.

If you got this far, thanks for reading.

2. texas_aggie_girl_93

texas_aggie_girl_93 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A month in Vegas...too cool! I can dream...lol

Nice report. Thanks for posting.

3. pebbles

pebbles Micro Roller.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You're welcome.

4. gmoney590

gmoney590 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very nice. A month in Vegas is sweet. I lack the self control to survive a month in Vegas. How long was your flight?

5. pebbles

pebbles Micro Roller.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Our filght was 11 hours this time. We flew direct. Often our journey is much longer because we have to change planes. 14 hours in the air is not unheard of when we have a change, so we like to go for as long as we possibly can each time. Because we're not gamblers as such, (No-Rollers?) we can make use of the reduced prices and still have an awesome time.

6. KimberlyJ

KimberlyJ Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow, great TR! I don't think I could afford a month in Vegas. It sounds like you had a great time.

7. Souette

Souette Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow!

Excellent!
    See? A month in Vegas CAN be done...and live to tell about it.
    Glad to hear that you paced yourself and enjoyed yourself as well.
    Thanks for sharing.

8. blackjacknut

blackjacknut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow....a month in Vegas. I would love to spend a month in Vegas but my bank account wouldn't like it too much...Nice TR!

:beer:

9. pebbles

pebbles Micro Roller.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for all the nice comments.

We just booked our next flights for May 4th to June 10th last night, so I'm going to have to do it all again soon.

10. peanutmnm

peanutmnm Scotchy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very nice recap of a month long excursion. Sorry we weren't able to hook up with you and Tony. Those 2 day trips just don't leave much time. Hopefully we'll see you in May or June.

11. pebbles

pebbles Micro Roller.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hope so too. Sorry we missed you.

12. FL Mary

FL Mary Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the report! I can't even imagine staying in Vegas for 30 days. I would be broke and dead-tired.

13. pebbles

pebbles Micro Roller.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The beauty of going for longer is the chance to take it easy and not to rush around fitting everything in.

14. angel81chick

angel81chick Abuelita

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow...a month! That is too cool!

15. sunni

sunni VIP Whale

When you travel that far, you have to make the most of your time well spent, sounds like you did . Good job !:wave:

16. pebbles

pebbles Micro Roller.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for reading.

17. gotavegasjones

gotavegasjones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the post.

laer, GVJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.