1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Dec 9-13 Trip Report

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by LadyRose, Dec 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LadyRose

LadyRose High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

Trip started out great. Flew on AirTran. Great airline. We were lucky enough to upgrade to First Class for $80. Absolutely loved it. Rented a car from Dollar. LONG line as their computers were down. The new rental car facility is nice though.
    Checked into the Platinum Hotel and Spa. Did not try the $20 trick as we didnt care about the view. We were only staying here 2 nights and then moving to the Mirage. Nice hotel. The room had a few minor kinks. The door between the bedroom and bathroom was not finished. No handle, not painted, did not even close all the way. Was suprised it was rented out that way. But minor. LOVED the bathroom. HUGE whirlpool tub. Beautiful full kitchen, stainless steel appliances. Stackable washer and dryer off the kitchen. Plasma tv in the living area. Balcony off the living room. Overall a very nice place to stay. Almost hated to check out. BUT...I had taken advantage of the Mirage tower suites rates.

Tried the $20 trick at check in at Mirage. The clerk was more than happy to take the tip but did not end up with an upgrade. She tried to convince us the tower suite was an upgrade even though thats what we booked. Oh well. I'll hold on to my 20 a little harder next time. Beautiful room. My only question is why do they screw up the view with the love advertising on the windows.

And this is where the trip goes downhill. :cry: We were stopped at a red light and got rear ended by a drunk driver. Both husband and I were taken to the Hospital. Spent all night in the ER but got discharged. The drunk driver went to jail. Sigh. The rest of the trip was spent dealing with the rental car people and the guys insurance company. We were left without a car as dollar refused to give us another one. The Mirage did send a limo to pick us up from the hospital. Thought that was nice.

Trip home was fine. Lucky enough again to upgrade to first class on AirTran. Which was wonderful as we both were very sore from the accident.

Already thinking about next trip.........

2. sunni

sunni VIP Whale

That's terrible

Rose, sorry to hear about the accident, glad you both are ok. :wave:

3. angel81chick

angel81chick Abuelita

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Rose....so sorry to hear about the accident, but I am glad to see that it didn't put a damper on your thoughts of Vegas :)

Stupid Drink Driver :grrr:

4. vegasdrea

vegasdrea Buckle Bunny

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm so sorry to hear about the terrible turn of events :( Glad that nobody was hurt and that the jerk face didn't get away with it! You will definitely need to return so that you can make up for the bad luck for this trip. Maybe Karma will be on your side next time and you'll win big!!! Did the accident make you think twice about renting a car in Vegas again? or do you always rent a car while in town?

5. LadyRose

LadyRose High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the kind words ladies. :)

Yes we always rent a car. I like the freedom it allows us. Already thinking about the next trip. Have to make up for this one. Nothing will stop me from loving the greatest city in the world!!

6. Reston

Reston VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry about the bad car luck on the trip. That's a black mark against Dollar in my book. I got stranded with an Avis rental once out in the middle of nowhere, and they not only came to get us they brought us a replacement. But I've used Dollar recently in Vegas, too, cause their cheaper.

So, did you get your $20 back from the clerk at the Mirage or not?

7. LadyRose

LadyRose High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No, I had no idea how to ask for it back.

8. Reston

Reston VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bummer, and pretty classless on the part of the clerk. You could have loudly demanded your bribe back, but that would have equally classless I guess.

I think I'm in the minority, but I only flash my $20 coupon when requesting a complimentary upgrade. The money doesn't it make its way to the clerk until the transaction is successfully concluded.

9. Coaster Kikky

Coaster Kikky Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Glad you're ok Rose! I can't believe Dollar wouldn't give you another car. It wasn't YOUR fault! Sheesh! That was terrific of Mirage to come get you in a limo though. That might have been worth the $20 non-upgrade right there.

10. LadyRose

LadyRose High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah learned my lesson. I could have asked for singles I guess. Made it look like I wanted change.

11. LadyRose

LadyRose High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes I agree ....the limo was well worth it. Kudo's to Mirage for that :)

12. hanoscf

hanoscf High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Glad to hear you're okay. I often rent a car in Vegas but your report has changed my mind. I think I wil be cabbing it around town from now on.

13. gmoney590

gmoney590 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry to hear that you got rearended. Hopefully, your next TR will be about how you hit a large jackpot. I'm impressed with the Mirage sending a limo for you both. That shows some class on their part; unlike, Dollar who wouldn't provide you with another rental. Are you both okay now? Sometimes those type of injuries can take a few days to show up.

14. LadyRose

LadyRose High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hubby seems to be ok now. I am still having some back pain but nothing serious. Thank you for asking :) Oh and Dollar called 2 days after we got home and asked if we needed another car???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.