1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Me, myself and I.................

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by jgates8, Nov 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

11/8 - Would someone PLEASE explain to me why I thought it would be a good idea to leave home at 2:30 in the morning, drive 50 miles thru the middle of deer country in order to take a 5:06 a.m. flight? Good grief. I must have been drunk when I booked that flight.............. Other than a brief vacation with DH into the middle of nowhere in the U.P. I have been working 7 days a week for months. But I pulled into the parking lot around 4 a.m., drug out the bag, locked up and walked the 50 yards into the terminal. (Yes - this is small town America at its finest). I stagger to the NWA check-in and there were about 3 employees at the NWA counter (only NWA & American at this airport). This guy must have been desperate for a look or something as he came out and around and asked my name, punched in my stuff on the computer for me while I am still trying to dig out my i.d., printed my boarding passes and told me my picture looked fantastic for a driver's license. Gee thank you - a compliment will get you the world! Thru security in about 90 seconds and off to the wonderful world of waiting at 4:10 a.m. for the longest hour.... Actually they boarded us and everyone was there and I think we took off about 10 minutes early for MSP. Staggered off the plane to find my Vegas flight is not even listed. BACK to the gate and turns out the flight is only 2 gates down - whew. It's still so stinking early that McD's isn't even open, so a fiber bar and a latte' suffice for breakfast. When we finally took off for a nice fairly smooth flight I dozed my way to Vegas. 3 hours later I am here! Now we wait for the luggage........:snore: Now we wait for the rental car shuttle (TIP: DO NOT TAKE THE BACK ONE- GO TO THE FIRST TWO SPOTS - we had to keep waiting and they would send busses up to spots 1 & 2 but then there wouldn't be a 3rd one. 1 & 2 would fill & leave and then the same thing would happen again. Customers complained and they said they couldn't back up by having only one bus in spot 3 - had to wait till 3 were available at one time). Up to the Emerald Aisle - hopped into a white Malibu (3rd time in a row - almost would swear its the same car every time, LOL). Took a gamble and headed strait to Ballys.

Was thinking this might be my lucky trip when I headed to Platinum check-in & was able to check in immediately in a King remodeled room in the North tower. Its #1485 and is nearly all the way to the end of the hall but a very nice room. Outstanding view of Batista's sign. Well, obviously the room was the extent of my luck on this entire trip. I was at the ATM before 3 p.m. I believe. This trip is not starting out well...........Playing penny slots @ Bally's. Should have grabbed the car and gone elsewhere but too darn tired. If I remember right I did have a sandwich at Nosh for lunch but that day is a big blur. Took a slight nap and then headed back down. I have to say I cannot even honestly remember where I ate supper that nite. I was still exhausted (NOTE: NEXT TRIP - DO NOT BOOK THAT EARLY OF A FLIGHT) and didnt have much of an appetite the entire trip - thoughts of buffets just made my tummy roll.

Totally out of day 1 & day 2's money already on day 1, I called it an early night and caught CSI & Without a Trace at 9. Had to work to make it thru the full two hours but that bed is heavenly and I left the drapes open to have some reflecting lights for ambiance.

Day 2: My automatic internal alarm clock is waking me up around 5 a.m. Vegas time. I pulled the covers back over my head and refused to allow it to wake me all the way up. A couple more hours in bed please - this is vacation after all. Finally up and thanks to the wonderful lighting in the bathroom realize JUST how scary I look in the morning without make-up........ Down to Nosh for a bagel, schmear and a latte. Decided to give Bally's another shot and guess what.......pretty soon I am already thru day 3's money. Hmm........ TOTALLY opposite of last trip. So at some point here I headed over to Harrah's to check out the Great Gift Wrap Up. I really wanted to get my son the stand mixer, but not enough points for that. So I did redeem for a nice Dooney & Bourke anniversary bag. They recommended getting the D/B & Coach things if we wanted them as they were going fast. I figured at the rate I was losing I should have enough for the mixer in a day or two. :grrr: (As a note-the D/B bag arrived via UPS TODAY (11/14) - impressive service). Played downstairs at Harrah's penny court for awhile and ran thru a couple of malibu & pineapple juices. Service was not too bad here for drinks. Still could not win my way out of a wet paper bag though. Walked up the strip a bit and considered supper at Margaritaville but still not super hungry at all. Back to Valet at Harrahs (WHAT A SCREWY PLACE TO GET IN AND OUT OF) and drove back to Ballys. Let's lose some more money at the penny machines to make this night highly entertaining.......... :Þ The evening hours shall remain a bit more private..... after all.....what happens in Vegas........... :ssst:

More tomorrow.............

Easter again..:
  2. aggie182

aggie182 Off Key and Out of Tune

Trips to Las Vegas:
    nice TR so far. look forward to more.

3. vegasmom

vegasmom Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fun read.

4. doctor_al

doctor_al VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ... entertains our readers. C'mon, after taking a beating at the machines, you had to have *some* luck!

;)

5. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Day 3 - I think it must be Saturday by now but my days are still lost in the glow of mean slot machines and a worn out ATM card. Breakfast this morning was the 'Special' at J.J.'s (next to the Crepe' shop in the alley between Bally's and Paris. I had a waffle with fruit and was going to indulge in latte' but she said I received a free coffee as part of the special. Geez - might as well save a couple bucks so I can flush it in the slots later........... Waffle was not too bad actually and service didn't take long. I ended up about the 3rd person in line and must have timed it perfectly. After that there was a line of about 20 out the door. After breakfast it was time to leave the nice room at Bally's. I packed up my belongings and checked out. He had me checked out so quickly that I didn't even get the chance to ask if I could have my comps applied to my room charges so I ended up with $135 on my credit card. (This does help me remember that one of the previous two nights at Bally's I ordered room service & had fettucini with chicken. Probably night #1 when I was totally exhausted. I think I curled up on the couch and ate it while I was watching CSI. Food was fine but definitely not worth the $35 or so it cost me. Course then again remember the long walk down the hallway......maybe it was worth it.) I toss the stuff in the car and drove over to Paris (someone explain to me again why I rented a car..................:rolleyes2:) I headed to Platinum check-in and he wasn't sure if there were any rooms ready but was more than happy to check. Sure enough a king on 11th floor was ready. I believe it was #1155 and was about 2 doors past the big P room at the near end of the hallway. I would almost swear this room was slightly smaller than the last one I had there but might have just seemed that way in contrast to Bally's.

If I remember day 3 properly (and believe me - I may have a couple of them turned around!!!!!) I first walked over & strolled gardens at Bellagio & played video poker for awhile. Then I wandered over to the Forum Shops at Ceasars. This was a walk since it was so close. I had considered driving just so I could pull up to Valet in a ritzy place such as Ceasars....:rolleyes2:........but I walked. Figured the malibu & pineapple juices needed a bit of exercise to be removed - even if I wasn't eating much food. I decided lunch was going to be at the Palm and had the Filet lunch. The salad was fabulous. The steak was fabulous. The bread was fabulous. I believe it was supposed to include coffee but I think she forgot that. Who cares - I needed the water. Then strolled a bit thru the shops and snuck a picture of Burt Reynolds in the sports shop signing autographs. Usually it seems as if it is always Pete Rose there. Nice to see a different face but I wasn't spending $99 for an autographed photo. Burt was looking a bit old, but then I suppose I am too, LOL. I strolled a bit more hoping to find some good sales, but alas not to be. (Last trip I got a couple of clearance Juicy C things for my DD in their store & a couple of Playboy tanks for DS's DGF there). A few choice word text messages back and forth between my son & I as I felt like total trailer trash going into stores that do NOT even display a price on their items. I felt like the store clerks KNEW I didn't belong there - even when I managed to keep my jaw from dropping to my knees. (And don't anyone be offended by the t.t. term - I lived in a mobile home for 20+ years - I just keep thinking of the old SNL skit where they had the trailers stacked up on the ends!!!) I wandered down to Express where they treated me like a normal human and then back the other way to Mac for a small purchase where the girl with yellow eyeshadow also treated me like a human being. Enough of those dang snob stores, LOL. CHAIN STORE is the word for me!!!

I wandered out and tried to kill myself walking over to Harrahs without going on an 'overpass'. OH YEAH - THIS IS WHY I RENTED A CAR. Luckily the guy walking next to me was about 6'6". Figured he was a bigger target...... Made it safely to Harrah's & checked out the Gift Rewards again. Still short a few points for that mixer but knew I would have enough on Sunday since I was still massively losing. The couple hours in the forum shops was my cheapest part of the trip!!! (PS- you can probably also figure out where this Gift Wrap-up thing is leading.......) Played the Cleopatras near the bottom of an escalator for awhile (that place confuses me totally) and at least kept my money rolling. Why couldn't this happen before? Don't worry it was only temporary.

Still burnt out and exhausted I headed back up the street slowly - wandered into OShea's & Bill's. (I missed Big E this trip too -forgot all about him). Back at Paris I grabbed my book from the room and went down to supper at Cafe' St. Louis. Not super hungry again so just ordered French Onion soup & an appetizer and had a few cups of coffee. I think I was back in the room and in bed by 11 pm so not much exciting on this day!!!

Easter again..:
  6. gmoney590

gmoney590 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sometimes you have a trip where the only thing that's paying out is the ATM; but, a trip to Vegas is better than no trip at all.

7. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Day 4 - Sunday......

At last a day with something planned!!! I should have bought more show tickets to keep me out of the slot area!!

Wanted a crepe' this morning but also just wanted to sit and relax. To me it is just a whole lot nicer to go to the buffet and pay about $4 more and have a nice relaxing atmosphere plus a chance to grab a few bites more of anything else you would like. I bopped thru the Diamond/Platinum/7 Star entrance and was seated off one end of the buffet. Line wasn't super long in the regular area so it would have been worth the wait anyway. Coffee, Apple Juice, Blueberry crepe, ham, scrambled eggs and a strip of bacon. Plenty to fill my tummy up with. And proud of myself that I didn't pig out at the buffet.

Back to the penny slots - geez I am a GLUTTON for punishment. Finally wised up and figured I had to get out of here for awhile. I grabbed the car and headed to NYNY as I knew my fav bartender had been called into work due to a death in co-workers family. So I went upstairs at TFI & chatted my way thru a Malibu & Pineapple juice. He got a bit busier so I finally headed down & played for awhile on Let's Make a Deal. Actually walked out with same amount of money I went in there with - whew. I walked out and looked at the memorial items for 9/11 outside. First time I had ever done that. And then back to pick up car.

Time for final Great Gift Wrap Up selection so back to Harrahs. I still think their method of getting you in from the strip to their valet is the weirdest I have ever seen, but whatever. And now you have probably guessed it - they are OUT OF THE MIXMASTERS. Geez. I called my son and asked if he wanted golf balls instead but he told me to get myself something else. So I ordered a small box of Godiva chocolate and the small leather Dooney & Bourke clutch (have received shipping notification but they haven't arrived yet). Now I realize I have wandered around just a BIT TOO MUCH. I have to go back and get changed for my evening show..............

ZZ TOP!!!

Back to valet at Paris. Ran in - changed. Ran down to JJ's and grabbed a sandwich that I polished off while waiting for car. I ate the soup while in line for the valet at Hilton. Excellent seat - end of 10th row I believe. Once I get my pictures uploaded I will stick a couple in here. Their show was awesome and I would go again in a heartbeat. OUTSTANDING.

Headed up towards Sahara and back down the strip - was going to pull in and watch Sirens at T.I. but it was raining so it was not going on. (At least I assume that is why). Can you believe it? RAIN!!!

Back to Paris - had a Quesadilla at Cafe St. Louis and then played slots for awhile. Watched a lady get $800 from $5 bets on Sun & Moon penny machine with 50 free games. Nice. No such luck for me but I did finally get 50 free games on a $1.25 bet on Helen of Troy. Only took 4 days, LOL.

End of another non-profitable day BUT VERY FUN.

Easter again..:
  8. Coaster Kikky

Coaster Kikky Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Your tr reminds me why I don't like the Forum Shops at Caesars - too many Snob Stores! I much prefer the Miracle Mile at Planet Ho for shopping.

9. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am battling the head cold from HEXX so I havent had a chance to finish my report. I did receive the beautiful little leather clutch from Dooney & Bourke today - I feel very spoiled!! Now if I just had some money to put in it........:rolleyes2:

I will attempt to wrap up the excitement tomorrow night.....Have also been in the midst of a Wii buy & resell to try to make a bit of extra money, LOL. Some seed money for hopefully a March trip. I do see that my frequent flyer miles on NWA now exceed 25,000 thanks to a 750 point bonus from National Car Rental - so at least the next trip is free for flying!

Easter again..:
  10. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ok - Let's see if I can wrap this up in a nutshell. My trip reports are not that exciting (except for the details I can't share since I happened to use my real last name as part of my user id on this site - I should change that!) :rolleyes2:

It's Monday. Back to the Paris buffet even though I am still not 'buffet' hungry. Another crepe - a couple cups of coffee - some eggs - read my book and relax while eating. Then start feeling guilty because i have NOT made appropriate usage of my rental car. So decide I am going to bum over to Rio since I have yet to dump any money in that bottomless pit this trip. I did manage to play quite awhile there and only end up about $40 down. This is in the category of a 'WIN' this trip!!! Sat and chatted a long time with a lady at a machine next to mine and discovered that since I had earned 50 points today I could get a free blanket at the promo desk. HOW do you find out about these things? It wasn't listed on the Harrah's website since I had checked that one out already!! After a while realized it was pushing noon and I needed to get fed and over to Hilton for the $250,000 game show.

Stopped at the sports bar that is pretty much straight back from the hotel entry. Ate a great steak salad that came quickly and paid in comps. Grabbed the car and made it to the Hilton with about 20 minutes to spare. The game show had the former Newlywed Game host Bob Eubanks as the show host. It was hysterical and tons of fun but I was not lucky enough to end up on stage. It did not have a huge crowd and I'm wondering if they will be able to keep it going. Course it is a Monday afternoon too...... Dropped a $20 in a 'Millionster' slot set on the way out and did pull $80 out of there. Needless to say HET properties got it later, LOL. Headed back to Paris and just mosied around losing money at the slots (OF COURSE) I should have a t-shirt on that says, Hi, I'm Clark Griswold......... Did wander over to Planet Ho and played in the daily slot again. 50 points short of winning some silly little thing at 5000 points. Irritated because I came that close. Wandered a bit thru MiracleMile/AlladinsPassage shops. Most of the redecorating near the front is there but when you get back near Gap (which isn't that far back) it still has the old decorating scheme except for the high ceiling which has been redone. Must just be working on it slowly. I will say I do like the appearance of Planet Ho inside much more than I did the Alladin.

I decided that despite the fact that I haven't really been that hungry this trip I was going to have a nice supper and ended up at LeProvencal. Had a wonderful pasta in cream sauce with peas & bacon. Even saved room for desert since I had yet to have any Creme' Brulee this trip. Worth every bite.

Spent some last time at the penny machines making my donations and just relaxing. Watched the gal at the Sun & Moon machine next to me pull out over $800 after just 4 spins or so. What a kick in the aXX, LOL. Depression is starting to set in because the trip is nearly over and now I have to pay back the extra money that was not budgeted and spent and try to save for another trip.......Wishing I had just booked 7 days since I had enough vacation but maybe next time.

My original plan had been to stay up and watch the New Frontier being imploded but I was exhausted again by around 10 pm and headed back up to pack up my suitcase.

Up the next morning, packed & headed to the rental center. Easily back to the airport and since flight was full i did check and offer if they had any bumps available but unfortunately it was not overbooked - just totally full. Found out McCarran had free internet and just patiently waited for my ride home.

Despite the fact this was a losing trip, I still can't wait to get back out there. It has been very tough for me back at work when I want to just hop a last minute flight from Worry-Free vacations or somewhere and head back out.

Easter again..:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.