1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

may 1-4 hilton

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by kitson, May 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kitson

kitson VIP Whale

My Trip Report

just a quick little trip report, went down for a trade show, without the bride, and for me, that is just not as much fun. got to play on tuesday, trade show wednesday and thursday, and then a little play and shopping on friday before the plane ride home.

gambling: though i like the hilton, and now that i have ridden the monorail, and know that the monorail station at the hilton is much more convenient than most of the other stations to their designation, the video poker there is horrible. when i did find a machine with a decent pay table, it took my buy in so fast that i never got a chance to spend much time playing. the race book had a tournament going, and it was crowded there the week before the kentucky derby, so never got to spend much time there either. had one winning session at pai gow, three guys playing and tipping the dealer and having fun, when a bitter old woman sat down at first base, threw out a couple hundred without a smile or acknowledgement of the dealer or us other players...ok, maybe she was having a tough day...

dealer makes change, deals the cards, i see the player say something to the dealer, but cant hear it. the dealer turns over her cards, her high hand is an ace-6! ten-8 up. i am pushing chips forward for the commission, i had the hand won. she deals with the old lady first, then the dealers hand goes in the muck, and old ladies hand winds up in front of the dealer! she had barged into the game and decided she would be the bank hand. turned my winner into a loser, i colored and was gone. when i went back by the table a few minutes later, all the guys were gone, and the dealer was frowning, and when she caught my eye just gave me the little shrug, sorry, look. it had hurt her tips too, when old lady sat down.

pretty much the story of my trip for gambling, good thing the trade show was successful.

dining: by myself, dont eat as fancy, but did wind up at palm steakhouse at lunch time on friday. had the businessmans steak, and for 19.95 got the primest steak, a filet of 6-8 ounces, that i have ever had for any meal in las vegas. cooked perfectly, included salad, and relish dish, and bread and potatoes, both au gratin and homemade chips! and coffee or tea. if i had not had the 12 dollar glass of wine, or the cheesecake after...what a bargain. service was great, i highly recommend this restaurant, particularly for lunch special for the price. the meal i had would be ala carte at dinner, and probable about 42 for t he steak, 9 for the salad, and 9 for the potato!

hilton steakhouse, just ok. hilton buffet, adequate for breakfast one day. nothing else even memorable enough to list.

i like the hilton hotel, and will stay there again when the price is right, monorail really does make it easy to get over to the back of the flamingo and then over to caesars,etc.

2. texas_aggie_girl_93

texas_aggie_girl_93 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That sucks about the lady at the Pai Gow table. It's normally such a fun place to play. I usually lose when a player banks too.

Thanks for reminding me about Palm. I keep meaning to give it a try.

3. Coaster Kikky

Coaster Kikky Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It was good to see you again Kitson! And here I was looking for a trip report entitled "She called the Borg an Asshole.".. lol

4. sin

sin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the report! Glad the show went well for you and that you had a very enjoyable lunch on Friday...sucks about the gaming, I hate grouchy people!

5. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We're thinking about doing the Palm for lunch in June--thanks for the review!!

6. sporty8705

sporty8705 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    my family and i used to stay there. but there was only a pool and a small arcade and we now need at least 2 pools and a big arcade like the Excalibur or MGM they have huge arcades and at least 2 pools.

7. gmoney590

gmoney590 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry to here about the gambling; maybe, all the guys at the table should have made disgusting noises and off color jokes and the grumpy old lady might have left. I'm also intrigued by Kitty's comment. Are there events on this trip that you are leaving out? Inquiring minds want to know.

8. Coaster Kikky

Coaster Kikky Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think Kitson was just doing a "highlights" reel of his trip quickly - and I didn't make it! :haha: We met up for a drink Friday night at Quark's. I had a brief conversation with a Klingon before Kitson arrived, then later after his arrival we were talking and a Borg character walked right by us, obviously intent on "assimilating" some other party. Didn't even glance in our direction. That's when I uttered the line "He didn't even try to assimilate us! Asshole!" and Kitson said he thought that would make an interesting trip report title that I called the Borg an asshole.

9. gmoney590

gmoney590 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Now, that would have made a great trip title. I just can't believe that Kitson would "forget" to put that in his TR. I think it ranks right next to the grumpy old woman playing Pai Go.

10. kitson

kitson VIP Whale

no, did not forget! just trying to post quickly info that might be helpful or interesting to all.

meeting up with kikky was great, quarks does not skimp on the liquor content. had a great conversation, a trip downtown in the beemer, a black chip porter and a 40 dollar loss at mss, and then an ok dinner at triple george. great conversation and insight on moving to las vegas from you, kikky!

we made our way back to the canopy, and then to the cal for a blackjack session, where i did quit when i got 50 up for the big win of the trip. delivery back to the hilton, the view of The STRAT tower through the moonroof of the beemer was great!

wish more members could have been in town or made it, it is always fun to meet others from the board, kikky thought that maybe the lounge at triple george might make a place for one of the larger meets?

11. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not that I ever get to town for meets, but I LOVE Triple George. Planning to try the lounge and/or sidewalk tables during our June trip--we just added a couple nights downtown to the trip:thumbsup:

We had fun at Quarks--had a warp core breach, and you're right--they do NOT skimp on liquor!!

12. Coaster Kikky

Coaster Kikky Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One of the highlights at Quarks before Kitson arrived was the Klingon asking a couple if they were sharing the Warp Core breach (small version) in front of them. They said yes, and his response was "Cowards!"

The "Sidebar" at Triple George looked really nice, comfy seats, full bar, piano... it wouldn't hold a really large get together, but a dozen of us or so could fill it comfortably.

I thought the meal at TG was pretty good, not outstanding.... I think Downtown has spoiled me for really good values and this wasn't terribly inexpensive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.