1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Dave's TR #15 -- Sometimes, What Goes Around, Comes Around

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by Morpheus7272, Oct 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Morpheus7272

Morpheus7272 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

So there I was, in a Bellagio Suite, in a Jacuzzi full of Dom Perignon, with six beautiful call girls, putting Benjamins in places on them I can't even share here....

Oh wait....no I wasn't....

The trip started well, ended well, was good in the middle, and only had a couple of rocky stretches.

BE WARNED: This trip report gives details about low-rolling to the MAX. If it makes you feel better, mentally add a few zeroes to all of my numbers. There, isn't that better? In capsule format, for your viewing pleasure....and NOW, with 50% less sodium....

FLIGHTS:

Southwest, connected in Chicago both ways. I received A passes the whole way, and the trip out was a breeze, with middle seats free on both legs. I got the right-side window on the way into Vegas, and the neon on the descent was awesome -- still one of my favorite parts. The trip back was jam-packed and was the epitome of why coach sucks. Thankfully, no one smelled bad. The only saving grace was the Superdawg I had at Midway airport. This is what a hot dog should be.

HOTEL:

First 2 nights, Main Street Station on a mailed offer. Checked in LATE on Wednesday 9/27, and received a 2-queen non-smoking, room 1628. I guess this would be considered the "loud" side of the hotel, and it was, but not that much worse than the "good side". I slept fine, except when the train rumbled thru at 3 am each nite. Ah well. The bed was comfortable, but not as comfortable as the king bed I had in April. I wanted to take that one home.

Last four nights, El Cortez. Checked in early on Friday 9/29. Initially, they attempted to put me into a double-double non-smoking or a king smoking in the tower, although I had requested a king non-smoking. I patiently advised the check-in clerk that the host via email had arranged a non-smoking king, and I'd be happy to wait until one was available. She poked thru the computer and, bingo, one was available. I thought so. But being patient and polite does have its advantages.

I can't say enough about this room. It was bigger than the Plaza junior suite I had, had better furnishings -- real wood desk, dresser, and tables -- than most rooms I've had in town (except Bellagio), and the bed was very comfortable. Sure, the bathroom was small, the view was of the dingy back streets of downtown, and the TV reception sucked, but these are small things for me. The only real drawback was the thin walls. I could easily hear every conversation in the hall. This is a problem for a light sleeper like me, but I'd certainly stay here again. Another plus was getting my SWA A passes from the front desk at no charge. Suffice it to say, I was pleasantly surprised.

FOOD, INCIDENTALS and DRINKS:

Now, I'm not one to spend much on food, but I still managed to eat well! I had the Gold Coast buffet three times (half-price, ACG), MSS breakfast buffet once (comped), Terrible's champagne brunch once (comped), a lunch at Terrible's Bouganvillea Cafe once (comped) and Orleans buffet once (half-price). I ate a French Dip and shrimp cocktail at the Golden Gate Shrimp Bar once (2/1, POV). Late-night $7.95 prime-rib was enjoyed at the El Cortez twice ($5 off each time, so $3). I did pay full-price at In N Out for my double-double and cheeseburger (no tomato, grilled onions), fries, and diet Coke, but that was my only fully-priced meal of the trip. Snacks included Barbary Coast hot dogs one day (free with coupons).

I didn't drink nearly as much on this trip as one previous ones. I just wasn't in the mood. I had some Newcastle at Aladdin, some Absolut Bloody Marys at Main Street, Miller Lite and Crown and Ginger at the El Cortez, and various cocktails at Terrible's and Barbary Coast. But I never even really caught a buzz. Pretty surprising, but I just wasn't in the mood for it.

TRANSPORTATION:

As usual, I took the CAT busses everywhere. Primarily, I rode the 108 to the 202 to get to the Strip (quicker than the Deuce in daytime) and then the Deuce back to downtown at night. The upper deck front seats are a nice way to "tour" the Strip and see the neon. I did not feel threatened at all riding the bus at night, and I'm not a huge guy. Now, I wouldn't ride the 107 or the 105 at night, but the Deuce seemed okay. For the trip, I bought 4 day passes (2.50) and paid the difference (50 cents) for the Strip trips. I know most of you like to rent cars, but I just don't see a need.

GAMBLING:

Wednesday night, I played the first table BJ I've player in quite a while, and I broke even after a half-hour at the Golden Gate. This was a $5 shoe game. Sunday night, I used a $20 freeplay coupon (CP) at Aladdin and I made $24, after downing three Newcastles. The bar itself was made of modular pods, and it was scheduled to be moved upstairs a few hours after I left. The Aladdin is still pretty messed up with construction! At least one of my favorite bartenders, Mr. V, still works there.

I made 5 sports bets between Saturday, Sunday, and Monday, and I won 4 out of 5, for a net win of $29 (remember, add zeroes, add zeroes....). Saturday evening was great fun, as Michigan beat Minnesota and there were other Michigan fans at the BC to watch the game with. I used several free beer and cocktail coupons to enjoy myself even further.

The slots did not treat me well at all, for a net loss of $91. Notable winning sessions, though, occurred at Kingpin Bowling, Cleopatra, and a reel slot called Money Bars. Despite this, I got hammered on Friday and Monday, resulting in a "short coin" day at each hotel I was staying at. Not good for future mailers, I'm sure!

Video Poker, on the other hand, was my saving grace this trip. On my previous four trips, I was gradually getting tired of slowly losing at VP, either grinding away at my JoB or not catching quads at Bonus Deluxe, but that changed this trip. Thursday, I hit a quad on nickel JoB and 3 quads on Bdlx (I was playing 7/5 Bdlx at MSS), resulting in a $22 win. Friday, no quads and a $24 loser.

Sunday was the Mother Lode! I met a friend of mine at Terrible's and settled in at their 8/5 nickel Bdlx games. I played for a bit over four hours, and I hit TWELVE quads. This is FUN!! After eating with points up in the Cafe, I left $108 ahead on VP and $26 ahead on slots. One of the best days I've had in Vegas!! Monday, unfortunately, was a down day, and I gave back $40 on 8/5 Bdlx at the El Cortez.

STORIES and FINAL THOUGHTS:

I wasn't feeling the vibe on this trip for the first day and a half. I was worried about the money, since I was having financial difficulties at home. I was seriously considering canceling the trip altogether, but I went anyway. On Friday, I hit the Gold Coast and Bellagio, and things greatly improved. A good Gold Coast buffet, the Conservatory, the Fountains, and just being around my favorite hotel fixed my mood for the rest of the trip. I've come to the realization that I really like downtown, but I'm a Strip guy first and foremost. That really means I'm going to miss places like the Barbary Coast. I'll also miss seeing the Stardust and Frontier, though I've never gambled there. It seems to me that the North Strip, aside from the Riviera, Stratosphere and Sahara, is set to become sterile and boring to the eye. One of the things I love most about Vegas is the themes of all the hotels. I mean, look at a place like Turnberry Place -- towers, for sure, but no neon, and nothing fun to look at. All they did was turn the El Rancho sign into an advertisement. Is that what the north strip is going to turn into? I guess so. The saddest part is that I know Slots-A-Fun, my favorite little dive, is going to go....I just don't know when. In that respect, downtown will become more and more desirable to me. As I've said before, once the Bellagio Fountains go, I'll hardly go back.

On the way to Vegas, I chatted a lot with a person living near me, and I found out he was staying at the Plaza. He gave me a lift to Main Street, and I met him later at the Golden Gate. We enjoyed a meal, beers, blackjack and good conversation. It's too bad we didn't meet up again.

At Main Street, I played for the first day, and then I went to the Player's Club to get written up for breakfast. The couple in front of me left very angrily, as they asked for a meal and were denied. All the information we have about comps now is great, but it seems like people play a while and then ask for too much. They end up getting upset. You do have to play, probably more than you think, and asking is fine, but don't take it personally if you are denied.

The El Cortez was a very pleasant surprise, and I was only propositioned twice by the downtown Las Vegas ladies of the evening. The one-block walk from Neonopolis to the El Co was no problem at all, as I was not even approached in about ten "walks". I had more problems waiting for the 108 at Swenson and Flamingo during the day than I did walking to the El Cortez at night! I did see a guy give a homeless lady $20 (!) She thanked him profusely and then they chatted a bit, after which she cussed him out and went to buy booze. As Dave Attell says, "Interesting people doing interesting things...." I was myself cussed out by one homeless guy for not opening my wallet and giving generously. Ah well, that's what I get for walking the back way from Main Street Station to the canopy, I guess. All in all, downtown was not a problem at all, though I don't really like the DTC at night.

My friend from Henderson hit a $4000 royal at Terrible's, and I got a comped dinner and $50 out of the deal. Thanks, Pat For myself, I still haven't hit the elusive royal, though Sunday's winning hands more than made up for it. I didn't get to the Western or the Spike. What a chicken.

Talk about playing the wrong game -- I was dealt 4 deuces in Bdlx on Thursday at Main Street. I was also dealt tens on Sunday at Terrible's.

COIN IN/COMPS/COUPONS/TOTALS:

My total coin-in was $1100 over 2 days at MSS, and about $900 over 2 days of play at the El Cortez. In one day at Terrible's, I cycled about $900 coin-in. I ended up ahead $42 in the gambling budget.

In VP, I played about 6000 hands, all single-line. Still no royal, and I am overdue. Maybe in December, I guess.

I received 3 room-nights free, one MSS breakfast buffet comped by a host, and a free Terrible's brunch buffet on Saturday. They were handing out vouchers because their systems were down on Thursday. I used 2/1, 50% off or $5 off coupons for all meals except for the burgers at In N Out.

TOTALS: Food and incidentals at Walgreen's: $86; Tips: $40; Bus: $16; Rooms $187; Air: $253; Overall Gambling : +$42 (Slots -$91, VP +$80; Sports +$29; VBJ Promo +$24) on $2900 coin-in.

Total Trip Cost: $540 for six nights, seven days. Yep, Vegas is still a value!

Thanks for reading.....

Dave

2. dscs007

dscs007 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Dave , I enjoyed your TR very much. I know what you mean about being overdue for a royal on VP. I hope to have as much luck in Dec.as you did this trip.

David

3. Jack21

Jack21 Guest

Dave, I also enjoyed your TR immensely, even without the extra zeros. Whether you get off on nickel slots or a $100 min dice game, it's the getting off part that counts. You make me want to spend more time downtown.

Your intro reminds me of the start of a Penthouse Forum story...."There I was, all alone in my apartment with my cold pizza and x-box, when these two twins knocked on my door because their hot water was out...."

4. BrokenAlice

BrokenAlice Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Inspiring trip report! I appreciate all the $ details as it makes me feel better about being a low roller myself. I look forward to your trip report for December.

5. Ringo

Ringo Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great trip report. A week in Vegas for $540? This should be written down for a low-roller's handbook.

6. Denny

Denny High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Dave, your use of ACG coupons and comps are well appreciated by all of us "frugal" gamblers. It proves once again how you can have an excellent trip, good dining and whatever drinks you want at a fraction of the cost.

7. Dean Martin

Dean Martin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm still stuck on your first paragraph....:)

Nice TR...sounds like you had a good trip :) - Dino

8. Morpheus7272

Morpheus7272 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Jack -- I'm slooooowly becoming acclimated to downtown. I still enjoy the Center Strip and Slots-A-Fun immensely, but downtown was great fun (and had good gambling) this trip.

"Low-roller's handbook (with apologies to the Penthouse Forum)" by Morpheus7272. I like the sound of that.

Dave

9. Lori R

Lori R Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As I've said before, once the Bellagio Fountains go, I'll hardly go back.

I enjoyed your report. Thank you. My question goes to the above sentence, where are the fountains going? And when?

Lori

10. JoeVegas

JoeVegas Low-Roller

Brothers of the low-rollers, unite!

I too am a low-roller and loved reading your report. Glad to know I'm not the only one and that others know what a great time you can have on a smaller budget. Thanks for sharing. Congrats on good trip!

11. Morpheus7272

Morpheus7272 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, like everything else in Vegas, I know that one day that beautiful free show will change somehow. Either it will happen less often, or it will be done away with, or whatever. Of course, no one knows when. It's one of the coolest things in the world to me, and I hope it never changes....

Dave

12. doctor_al

doctor_al VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good tip about the 202/108 vs the Deuce. That's still a fair amount of coin-in for a "low roller", should get you some attention from the El Co as well as MSS.

13. Lori R

Lori R Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree with you, Dave. I thought that maybe there were some rumors afloat. I guess it can't last forever but I prefer not to think about it. I like it just the way it is.

Lori

14. Morpheus7272

Morpheus7272 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My sentiments exactly.

Dave

15. Morpheus7272

Morpheus7272 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    HA! I was told by the host (Nords) at the El Co that my play was "very minimal". Well, duh, I wasn't asking for a comp at the time, just a promo code for a deal I was entitled to anyway. Anyway, I got my two-night offer at MSS for December, so I'll stay there instead. If the high-falutin' Sweaty Spaniard doesn't want me, I'll park my butt at MSS!!

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.