1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Pool Cocktailers SUCK

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by keno, Oct 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keno

keno obsessed with countdown timers

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

It seems when I take a couple of days off work to go to Vegas, it takes me at least a week back at work to make up for each day I missed.

Anyway, we headed to Vegas on a Thursday afternoon (sept 21). We (the wife and I) take the mid-day flight out to Vegas (it's only a 1 hour flight) so we can start the party time early. We arrived at the airport very early (as we like to do) and went to check in. Our suitcase was 6 pounds overweight for the southwest restrictions, so we had to move some things into our carryon. Problem was, the weight was mainly in liquid form (booze and mixers), which we couldn't put into the carryon because of the liquid restrictions on flights. We pulled out 5 pounds of shoes and the SWA person let us slide on the 1lb. We then hung out in the bar at the airport, had a couple of drinks and arrived in Vegas on time.

We took a taxi to NYNY, cost around 12 with tip and checked in. We tried to get an upgrade (free, no $20 trick), but it didn't work out. We tossed the stuff in the room and headed down to the NYNY pool. The pool area is pretty small and directly beneath the coaster. It kind of felt NY like (granted, I've never been in NY...), and that the pool was on top of some small apartment building. We liked it out there., except for the drink service. We sat near the bar, but we didn't want to get up. we wanted to waste away and have people wait on us. On our first drink order, it took our cocktailer about 15 minutes to bring back a beer and a cocktail. After that, I just walked up to the bar which took a whole 2 minutes. We never got in the pool, just enjoyed the nice weather.

That evening, we went to Nine Fine Irishmen for some food and drink, and to listen to our favorite house band, Sin e Ri Ra. The food was good and the beer superior. We also loved Sin e Ri Ra, as usual. Our friends (My best friend and his wife) were supposed to show up late that night, around 11pm or so, but their flight was delayed so they didn't get to their hotel (IP) until about midnight. The wife was tired so she went to the room while I went out to meet up with our friends at the IP. We decided to go to O'Sheas. Once there, they were hungry and ate at the pizza place in the food court. I was way past food at this point and they later told me they wished they wouldn't have eaten as the pizza was horrible. We then settled in for some blackjack and proceeded to drink way too much. The cocktailer wasn't getting tipped anywhere in the joint, so I started tipping her $5 per visit, which ensured my glass was never empty. My friend saw how well that worked during the first trip, so he started the $5 trick as well. Since our table was tipping at least $10 per visit, the cocktailer pretty much camped out at our table. The dealer was hilarious and we were winning lots of money, so we spent quite some time there, even though we shouldn't have one a single dime. The WHOLE night, 3rd base was making the stupidest moves in Blackjack you could ever make. She split 10's more times than I've ever seen in my life (every time she had them!!!). Normally, I'd move quickly if that happens, but the first time she did it, she busted the dealer because she split the 10s. If she didn't split the 10s, I would have lost and had $50 on the table at the time. So, while it was a bad move on her part, the table was still winning so we just couldn't leave. It was the most surreal Blackjack game I've ever played. The more she broke "the rules", the more I won.

The next day, we were headed off to the Venetian for the rest of the trip. Our friends were at NYNY before we woke up and gave us a call on the cell phone. We got up and packed up and headed over to the venetian with our friends. The friends were still staying at the IP, but they just followed us to the Venetian. We got an upgraded room at the venetian. I reserved a regular room, but we got a view room.. so not much of an upgrade, but better than nothing. After checking in, we all (the four of us) went to the room then immediately went to the pool area. It was closed because of the high winds so we checked out the shopping at Venetian and watched the shows in the shopping area for a while.

We decided to try the pool again and found it open. We set up camp and within 2 minutes a cocktailer took our order. I thought my luck with pool side cocktailers had finally changed, but it took her 54 minutes to return with our drinks. 54 minutes!!! Also, there were only about 20 people in the entire pool area since it had been closed most of the day from the wind! When she finally came back, she had forgotten one of the drinks! Needless to say, she didn't get much of a tip and a complaint was filed with the venetian management. Some other friends were supposed to show up in the late afternoon and join us at the pool, but their plane was delayed by several hours and they showed up around 6:30pm.

So, now it's friday night at around 7pm and we are going to start going out. The original friends we met with had tickets to LOVE, the second set of friends (2 of them) had just arrived late to the venetian, and 6 more people were due to arrive that evening. We went down to MIX to watch the sunset and met with everyone later in the evening. We then proceeded to drink and gamble at Ceasers and O'Sheas the rest of the evening.

Saturday finally showed up and my memory gets fuzzy. The wife and I ate lunch at carnegie deli (slept during breakfast time). The Matzo Ball soup was incredible. It was a plain chicken broth with a couple of matzo balls and it was absolutely divine. Matzo Ball soup is both of ours favorite soup and we will go back to Carnegie deli for more. My wife's father has frequented the original Carnegie Deli and he wasn't surprised that we enjoyed the food. the piroshkis were also very tasty..

Oh, i forgot.. on Friday night (I think) there was a fire at the Venetian. The area out by the wax musuem (the bell tower) caught fire and was big enough for a 5 alarm fire. Quite the scene.

So, on saturday night, we decided to go clubbing but the first club didn't work out so well. I won't go into details as it brings back bad memories. But, after gambling and hanging out in bars, most of the folks went to bed so 6 of us headed to PURE at about 2am Saturday morning. All I can say was PURE was awesome. We all had a great night there.

On Sunday morning, it was time to get up and go home and we barely made the plane. We checked in on Saturday afternoon so we had A passes, but by the time we got to the airport, we walked directly onto the plane.

Overall, it was a most spectacular trip. I've left out many details from the trip as most are hard to recompile this far after the trip, but it was a Top 3 Vegas trip for me. I just wish I could remember enough specifics to better explain the good times we had :)

2. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Congrats on the fun trip Ken. :thumbsup:

3. dscs007

dscs007 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like you had fun. Dang wait staff at the pools cant get it right can they?lol:nono: :nono: :nono:

David

4. sin

sin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice report Ken...glad to hear a great time was had by you and your awesome Mrs.! Stupid pool coctailers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.