1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

TR Downtown April 9-12 final thoughts

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by Hoosier, Apr 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoosier

Hoosier Tourist

My Trip Report

Final thoughts on my trip 4/9 – 4/12

Not sure if anyone is even reading these things, but hopefully, they will come in handy for someone at some point. Many of the things below should help those that are planning to stay downtown.

Overall, I think this was a good trip to LV. For 5 of us to eat, gamble and transportation, we spent about $1200 between us for 3 days (does not include airfare or hotel). That is a pretty good vacation value, IMO. We didn’t eat fancy, but we didn’t eat bad either.

I doubt I will stay at LVC again. Next time I plan to try Main Street Station or California. I left there not at all excited about returning anytime soon, but LV does that to me about every time I go. In about 6 months, I will start getting the fever again, and will start looking for the bargains.

Things I liked

I don’t think you can go wrong eating at Golden Gate unless you are looking for a real fancy meal. The snack bar has really good food, and I have never had a bad meal at Bay City Diner.
    The Pasta Pirate at California was a great meal at a reasonable rate. If you are downtown, looking for something other than buffets and fast food, but don’t want to get all dressed up, this is a good place.
    I still love the voodoo at La Bayou, but I am getting to old to drink them. The one I had this trip kicked my butt good.
    The breakfast buffet at Main Street Station has to be one of the best food values in America, not just LV. $6 for their spread, including drink, is a steal.
    Had a micro brew at 777 Brewpub at MSS. Can’t remember the name off hand, but it was a pilsner and their best seller. Very good and only $2.
    Deep fried oreos were much better than I expected. Worth a trip to the back of Mermaids.
    Margaritaville at Flamingo was pretty neat. If you are a parrothead at all and are on the strip, you should check it out.
    Drink service at Golden Gate. Frequent service even at the penny slots. Except for the mysterious disappearance our last day there, it was excellent.
    The Fremont light show. I don’t understand how people can’t be amazed by this. It is all done with lights people!
    Penny machines are everywhere. Good entertainment when your daily budget is going faster than you expected.
    Fremont is very nice all the way from Main to LVB. They are working hard to make this a nice area for visitors.

Things I disliked
    Vegas Club rooms. They really weren’t that bad, but it irks me that for a few hundred bucks per room, they could make these pretty nice. I had no problem with the space or most of the furnishings, but if they would replace some mattresses and fix the AC systems, I think they would get much better ratings.
    The $5.99 steak at Binion’s, the service that went with it, and the bar that served me a warm Corona for $3.50.
    Too many drunks and homeless downtown.
    The Duece. I liked it for one trip, but would never do it again. Too many stops, and it takes forever.
    The strip. Way too many people for a Tuesday afternoon.
    No one carries Longboard Lager anymore.
    Nickle slots (reel type) are disappearing quickly.
    It always smells like sewage between 4 Queens and Fitz.

I’ll add more as I think of it.

2. doctor_al

doctor_al VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice, detailed TR, glad you had a good time. Will have to check out the Pirate sometime.

3. Coaster Kikky

Coaster Kikky Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Try Cheeseburger at the Oasis in the Desert Passage Mall (at Aladdin). They carried a few of the beers from Kona Brewing, including Longboard Lager, both times I've been in there - although IMHO Fire Rock Pale Ale is much better! :thumbsup:

4. Sleepless

Sleepless Sassy Sally's lives on...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice TR

I'm a downtown junkie too, and enjoyed your info. Keep up the support for downtown.

5. tara

tara Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Excellent trip report. Sounds like you had a good time! We're hoping to get downtown this time since it's been like 10 years since I've been there. Your detailed descriptions of the sites down there were great and you may have talked me into trying a deep fried Oreo :)

6. sin

sin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great report! I hear ya on the warm Corona for $3.50 too....very sad. Glad to hear everyone had a good time!

7. Nevada Kid

Nevada Kid VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think I've seen you there before. j/k... lol!!

"I'm a downtown junkie too, and enjoyed your info."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.