1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Chicago hotels?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by h0und10, Oct 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. h0und10

h0und10 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Heading on a road trip next week and wondering if anyone had suggestions on where to stay in downtown chicago.
    staying just one night Thursday the 20th
    I would like a complimentary breakfast,a decent pool, and to be close to the magnificent mile and the navy pier

2. Imperial_Palace_King

Imperial_Palace_King High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think the only place I've stayed is the Westin. There's probably a few Westins there but I've stayed at the one next to the John Hancock building a few times. Good location right on Michigan ave. Plenty within walking distance.

3. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Embassy Suites, 600 N. State St.

Never stayed there, I typically book with Priceline as I pay my own expenses. I think they still have managers reception in the evening.

4. Edserv

Edserv Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Drake... awesome history. Not sure about the pool

5. h0und10

h0und10 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i did see that reception with food and a cash bar.. I think I might book that place. the taxes on the hotel are worse than resort fees!! and the parking fees are even higher than what id normally spend on a hotel room!

6. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You might want to check with the hotel directly, but manager's reception is comped at every Embassy Suites I've ever visited, including the other E.S. a couple blocks away from this one. It's usually two hours and they offer free cocktails, wine, beer plus limited snacks.

As for parking fees, yes they are outrageous, $59 a day. I would recommend downloading an app called Spot Hero and you can see if there are any nearby garages with better deals. I've visited Chicago several times for trade shows, but have always used public transit.

The Palmer House is the oldest continually operated hotel in the USA and it's worthwhile to grab a drink in the lobby bar. The rooms are among the smallest I've ever been in though.

7. h0und10

h0und10 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the tip! i am going to download that app!!

8. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Several long-standing hotels have teeny rooms including many in the Loop and River North areas. I've found two which are more spacious and consistently good. I usually do either the Hampton at Illinois and Dearborn or the Hilton Garden at Grand and State. Both are an easy walk to the Red line and the bus to Navy Pier stops at Illinois and State.

9. h0und10

h0und10 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I booked the Hampton in Illinois. I will check into the red line thing because it looks like too far of a walk to the pier unfortunately

10. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Take the bus to Navy Pier. It stops about one block east of the hotel (or take a taxi, they usually stage right outside the hotel). Red Line (subway/el) is for more general Chicago travel. Both airports now have semi-convenient subway/el to River North. Ask me if you want more detail on this, I've done both countless times.

11. Grid

Grid Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry I'm late to this thread, but if anyone checks in the future Embassy Suites Downtown Chicago, 600 N State hands down. The rooms are all large (can be an issue in downtown) with a decent sized living room, all of them have wet bars and nice shitters as well. And the couch turns into a sofa bed too!

Right on State street, just off the Blue line. You can easily walk to the Art museum and just a couple blocks from the shops on the Mag Mile. Plus, staying on State street, you are right next to all of those shops as well (Macy's, Disney Store and the like) plus super easy to get to Millennium Park and Navy Pier.

Plus they are almost always the cheapest guys. But use the Chicago local's link, not the Hilton link!

http://www.embassysuiteschicago.com/

We usually pay about $90 a night and that includes an open bar and omelettes and such for breakfast! I'm a local, and this is where we go.

12. h0und10

h0und10 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    will that local link be cheaper? I would have killed to pay 90 bucks for a room on a Thursday night. sigh :/

13. Grid

Grid Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It usually is. The last time I booked a room via the Hilton link it was nearly 50% higher. I put the local link in my original post. Sometimes they match, sometimes its cheaper as they post locals rates on the other link automatically. You do NOT have to be a local to get the locals rates. It just shows up on the alternate site.

14. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I live in Chicago and use priceline name your own price on a regular basis for Xmas times... I usually have good luck getting 4 star hotels for under $100.

15. h0und10

h0und10 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I also unknowingly booked the night before the cubbies played there to go to the world series. My fault on that one. What a busy city though! everyone always walking in a hurry lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.