1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Looking for non-gambling off strip ideas.

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by LV_Bound, Oct 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thinking about adding 1 extra day to our usual 3 night trip to do off strip (non gambling) activity and looking for ideas in the Aug/Sept time frame.
    So far we have Red Rock Canyon in mind.
    Not Hoover Dam as we seen it already.
    Not any machine guns as I have shot plenty.
    What are the other options?
    It can be multiple little things or one big thing.
    What about driving to the mountains? If so, which area and what activities?
    Would probably prefer taking a shuttle to an activity but will opt for renting a car.
    How far is Area 51 or the Atomic Test Facility?
    Maybe a helicopter ride to the bottom of the canyon for a day.
    What ideas can you offer?

2. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My bride and I did a tour trip to and fro Santa Monica, Bev. Hills, Hollywood, etc.
    It left from the bus garage under Aria.
    It took pretty much a whole day, but was my first time to CA and I found it very interesting.
    Was fun to do once. Will probably only do it again if we do another family trip (so the minions can see a little of California, too.)

RICHARD

• Like Like x 1
  3. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's really a function of time and distance. You could get cracking early and make a long day trip to Zion, and if you've never seen Zion ... special. Over the years I've routed all sorts of people who asked a similar question down and back through the Mojave National Preserve. That's also miles but some spectacular desert scenery. But that time of year it would an oppressive mutha out there. (Zion won't be as bad but it still will be cooking, and of course if you're pre-Labor Day it's HIGH season for turistas everywhere.) Red Rock is a quick drive and the temp might keep you from doing what you need to do out there, and that's nose around the canyons. Mt. Charleston would work, and won't take a ton of time. These are all essential u-drives. If you want to head out to the dam but then hit the river the canoe/kayak excursions through Black Canyon are fun, and it is cool on the water.

4. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Are there bus tours that go to specific areas or is this a drive yourself type of excursion?

5. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It was on a tour company's "short bus" with a driver-guide. There were specific spots. 45 min. or so at Santa Monica Pier, an hour on Hollywood Blvd. Quick stop at the Bev. Hills sign before a drive down Rodeo Drive, Sunset Strip, etc. Our guide was awesome!

Riding that short bus reminded me of my school days!

RICHARD

• Like Like x 1
  6. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was going to say Valley of Fire, but it will be painfully hot in Aug/Sept.

I would say it might be a good time to go up to Mt. Charleston. Not too far away, but a totally different experience than Vegas.

7. gotChopin

gotChopin Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I find this crazy if you really did in one day. Touring or driving around LA itself takes one headache of a day. Let alone a drive from Vegas and back

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We left Aria pretty early (6:00 A.M. maybe) and our driver had the pedal to the metal on the freeway! The day went by pretty fast, but good times were had by all on board!

9. The Stig

The Stig VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did that trip 3 years ago and I really enjoyed it, it was something different and the guide was great. It is a long day but when I got back to Vegas I got showered and went back out on the Strip. Well it is Vegas and I don't like wasting time sleeping.:drunk:.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow. Guess it's just not something Angelenos would imagine. lol I cringe every time I know I need to get from here to LAX or say Carlsbad for work and back.

I'll tell you what though, get to Fairfax/Miracle Mile/La Brea and you can breakfast at the iffy original Du-par's, lunch at Canter's, head on over to BH for dinner at Spago and fill the day with the Petersen Automotive Museum. Talk about America!! And if still hungry Pink's ain't far away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.