1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Marathon Volunteer - 'fanny pack'/messenger bag

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by jgates8, Oct 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Travelfiend has convinced myself & another friend to volunteer for the marathon while we are in Vegas. As I am a diabetic, I do need to keep something sweet on hand, as well as my blood tester. Years ago I used the god-awful standard old fanny packs (worked like a dream when I had little kids & couldn't hang onto a purse).

Anyone have any suggestions for something along that line that doesn't 'look' like a standard old fanny pack? Doesn't need to be huge. Phone, couple candy bars, small blood tester, room key, a bit of cash.

I found this item, but it still looks a bit too 'fanny pack' to me. (Yeah I'm getting fussy). http://www.ebay.com/itm/Outdoor-Unisex-Waist-Fanny-Pack-Riding-Climbing-Bag-with-Water-Bottle-Holder-New-/371531191331?hash=item5680fc1423:g:uOcAAOSw0fhXjcVg&autorefresh=true

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

2. mescalita

mescalita old and in the way...

Trips to Las Vegas:
  3. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Now that is an interesting one. Stuff doesn't come out of it?

4. chitownjohn

chitownjohn High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Camp Rusty

Camp Rusty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cool for volunteering, you rock :headbang:

I have to travel with some stuff too, I carry an old worn in cloth messenger bag, I actually like fanny packs but I carry a tad more stuff now......my medical stuff, paperwork, nutrition items and water, sun hat, plus an over the ear pair of headphones on occasion. My phone and wallet are usually in pant's pocket.

What I have found is I can pick up a couple extra things and toss them in a messenger bag easily, literature, a souvenir tee shirt, that sort of thing..... find it pretty comfortable to just sling over on to my back and walk or stand. They aren't quite as easy as a fanny pack though, I have forgotten my messenger bag a couple times when I took it off to do stuff.......you never need to worry about that with a fanny pack snapped on.

Stoopid alcohol.

This is sort of what I have...very soft and forgiving.

http://www.ebags.com/product/vagabond-traveler/casual-style-canvas-laptop-messenger-bag/250339?productid=10232604&sourceid=ADWPRODBU&couponid=94790994&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping+-+Messenger+Bags+-+Branded&adcampaignid=603478017&adgroup=Messenger+Bags&adgroupid=29138777178&addisttype=gpla&gclid=CKmjvPyWzc8CFVFffgodCSQDUg

6. mescalita

mescalita old and in the way...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Things stay secure in here, just like the flipbelt. There are four or five companies making products like this now.

7. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you for all the good suggestions so far. Son has suggested just a standard soft drawstring bag, but not keen on cord cutting into shoulder. But I have conference in a week & I will see if any of the vendors are giving away anything along those lines. If not, then I will buy something. The belts look very interesting - I'm just amazed stuff doesn't fall out. The messenger bag is likely more of what I need.

8. BreakEven

BreakEven High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a flipbelt. As the name implies, you put stuff in it, and then flip it over so the openings are close to your body. I run with it, and I've had a few cases where the stuff I crammed in there has worked its way back to the opening. Tiny things like keys, which I might not hear/notice right away. I stuff those things way into the belt now (openings are near the front, I basically shove the keys back into the belt so they're right on my hips). That's worked well for me.

I also have a spibelt. That has a zippered pouch. The downside with this though is that when I put my phone in there, the belt then tends to flop around a lot during a run. Maybe I just need to make the belt tighter or something (I'd say the adjustable belt is another advantage). They also have a version with a larger sized pouch.

Even with the above comments though, I still use the flipbelt for my runs.

Thank you for volunteering! :clap:

9. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  10. miniwhale

miniwhale High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you go to the expo the days before the race, there are several different booths that have different pouches. Maybe check those out. Or you can ask to work at the GU table and snag a couple of those! Kidding.

Thank you for volunteering!!

11. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you all again- I really appreciate your help. The other thing he is trying to talk me into is VooDoo/top of Rio. Not sure I can handle that. Not good w heights.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.