1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

How crowded will it be Jan 5-9 downtown?

Discussion in 'Downtown Hotels' started by zoey11, Sep 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zoey11

zoey11 Mid roller and Vegas fanatic

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know there is a big convention during these dates, but flights are cheap and my work is slow this time of year and was thinking of booking downtown.
    Has anyone booked downtown during this time and were you able to get comped rooms if booked ahead?

2. reedy

reedy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ive always found it to be be slow after NYs DT. Also, i think the convention crowds affect the strip more than Fremont St.

You would need to reach out to a host to get an idea about front end comps.

3. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    CES, the Consumer Electronics Show, runs Jan. 5 -8 next year. It's a biggie, with attendance around 176,000 last year! While the show is mainly at the Convention Center, I would expect more traffic than usual all over the city, including downtown. I wouldn't let that stop me from going, but you'd best reserve rooms well in advance – like now!

4. M0rtyC

M0rtyC TBD

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Like Turtlenam said... Book now and check back very close to CES. If bookings are slow, the prices will drop off a cliff.

5. zoey11

zoey11 Mid roller and Vegas fanatic

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks think I will go ahead and bool soon then, thanks everyone!

6. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually the CES will also be held at the Sands Expo, right next to the Venetian and Palazzo. The Sands will also be a nuthouse during that time. I also notice the tables at the Venetian to be $15 to $25 during that time (if it isn't the normal minimums). There are other places that will hold the convention, the old LV Hilton also holds rooms for the convention and some other hotels on the strip also do but those aren't as big a thing.

Downtown may see an increase in the crowd and since the CES goes on during the weekend you may see a bigger weekend crowd but it won't be as bad as you will see on the strip. Strip restaurants will be crowded, the tables will be filled during the evening and lots of people walking the strip to get to other hotels.

The biggest thing you will see is the traffic near the strip and the LVCC. Traffic will be horrendous especially during the morning and afternoon hours with people coming to the convention and leaving at the end of the day. Major arteries/exits like Spring mountain road, Paradise road and Koval lane (not to mention lv blvd) will be slow moving.

As other people have mentioned, best to book your rooms early before the prices go up. If you get your rooms via comps it may not be as bad but still best to book early before the room reservations fill up. I already booked my rooms for the CES and the prices already went up. I got MSS for only $45 a night for that week (including Friday and Saturday) but when I went into bconnected the Friday and Saturday rates already doubled.

7. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is always something going on in Vegas. I pay zero attention to conventions or whatever else. Only worry about flight prices and room rates.

8. eksantirik

eksantirik High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If we are all good patrons, maybe they'll provide us with the convenience of 4-zero roulette :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. mescalita

mescalita old and in the way...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    this.

:peace:

10. tvon

tvon VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I disagree.. there ARE always events but some effect you more than others. Like this past weekend the Life is Beautiful fest or whatever. I'm told downtown is a huge shit show. Same when Punk Rock Bowling happens. Its rare, but events like this will really effect your time (and wallet) downtown.

11. Hogman

Hogman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We stayed at the GN during the Punk Rock Bowling and it wasn't terrible. Only thing I noticed was more people with Tattoos, Piercings and colored hair. But I would book early, I went to CES for many years and even though there is a lot of people I don't think they gamble as much as eat and party. I think the cab lines and restaurant lines with be long. But it is not that bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.