1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Tipping Uber/Lift

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by TKO, Aug 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TKO

TKO High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For those of us that would prefer to tip the driver, What would your tip be for a $20 fare?
    I do $5 which works out to 25%. We generally have 2 suitcases plus 1 carry-one.
    I've taken about a dozen LV rides so far and all of the drivers have been pleasant compared to many but not all of the cabbies I have had in the past.

2. guapoxxx

guapoxxx High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would tip $5 also...

Annual Golf Trip
  3. M0rtyC

M0rtyC TBD

Trips to Las Vegas:
    $5 cash is about right.
    Locally my ride is about $9 and I slip them $3.

4. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been tipping Uber drivers in Vegas all weekend. Every experience has been great. They love the tips. [emoji1303]

• Like Like x 1
  5. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe $2. It's not like normal tipping.

6. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    $3-5 depending on length of trip.
    MSS to Outlet Mall, $3.
    Sam's Town or MSS to airport, $5.

7. Big dan

Big dan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I rode with über once in Denver and it was like a 20 dollar fare followed by a 20 dollar tip. I had her make a couple extra stops and she said no problem. She almost started crying when I gave her the tip, I think that made my day more than it made hers.

• Like Like x 1
  8. TKO

TKO High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    "Not like normal tipping". Do you mean because these are most likely part time jobs for the drivers?

9. TKO

TKO High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm sure you did make her day. The large tip makes sense to me because of extra stops.
    For the most part, the drivers I have tipped are very appreciative when I hand it to them.

10. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No, I mean that Uber officially discourages tipping, and these drivers know it when they sign up. As such "normal" tipping of 15-20% is excessive IMO. Obviously each of us is free to tip or not.

By the way, I know a guy who retired from a professional job that paid 100K +, he's now driving Uber just for something to do, not everyone in such jobs is a poor bastard.

11. TKO

TKO High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the clarification.
    So your thinking 10% is more in line. Certainly acceptable based on what your saying.

12. imderekpoe

imderekpoe Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think Uber has pulled back from "discouraging tipping". The website now states "Tipping is voluntary. Tips are not included in the fare, nor are they expected or required. As a rider, you are not obligated to offer your driver a gratuity in cash. If you decide you would like to tip, your driver is welcome to accept."

Personally, I usually tip $5 pretty much regardless of the fare. However, if I had a long or short ride (or poor service), I will adjust accordingly.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Nevada1278

Nevada1278 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I take Uber a lot in Vegas and usually tip a $5 (fare $15-$20).

However, one of the reasons I really liked Uber to start with was because it was 'cashless'. It would be better IMO if they gave you the option to tip via the app when leaving your star rating of the driver.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Ckspores

Ckspores Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is why I almost exclusively use Lyft now; I like the ability to add the tip in the app and not have to mess with cash.

• Like Like x 1
  15. TKO

TKO High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never used Lyft. At the end of the ride do you tell them you will be adding a tip and the amount when you get your receipt? Or how does that work?

16. Ckspores

Ckspores Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It shows up automatically in the app after the ride is completed; you select or enter the tip amount and it is added to your bill before it is finalized.

17. justmare

justmare High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a friend who was unemployed for almost a year because he can't find work in his long-time field in Vegas. He started driving for Uber to be able to support himself, but he's really not making that much money. Even driving six days a week, during surge times, and trying to take longer fares, it's just not enough to give him anything close to the life he was accustomed to living. He says it's super rare for anyone to tip and when they do he is extremely appreciative. He has to fill his gas tank every day because even when he doesn't have a fare and is waiting for one he has to leave the car running to be able to run the air conditioner so when a fare DOES get in it's comfortable for them. He says even a $2 or $3 tip is wonderful because that at least covers a gallon of gas.

I don't care if Uber discourages tipping. That's bullshit. Vegas is a tipping town. You're going to tip a cab driver. You're also going to pay a higher fare to ride with them, so why not tip an Uber driver a few bucks and help them out?!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Blonde_4_ever

Blonde_4_ever LasVegas4ever.com

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Usually I tip 4 to 5 dollars in cash to both Uber and Lyft drivers.

19. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    this past weekend I tipped about half the time; the folks driving who were cordial, had some personality, and delivered service beyond the basic expectation I tipped, everyone else I did not

to me it operates like in a restaurant, I'll tip based on the service (ride quality) I receive

20. TKO

TKO High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Could a Lyft/Uber driver please answer the following questions?
    What % of the fare goes to the driver ? Are certain parts excluded from this such as booking fee?
    That might help some folks decide on the tip if they wish.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.