1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Is T-Mobile Trying To Give Me A Heart Attack?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Jerseyguy2, Aug 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last month I destroyed my cell phone by mistake. I've been with TMobile for 15 years now so when I called them to see what deals they had on a new phone the rep said because I,ve been such a loyal customer I'm elijible for an upgrade and all I need to pay is the sales tax on the phone.
    So I go to the T Mobile store and the guy says pick out any phone you want and just pay the tax.
    Now I have a precedent for getting free phones because the last Galaxy I ruined was free on a promo they emailed me. So I pay the tax,sign a bunch of stuff without paying much attention because I was
    concentrating on the Galaxy s7 ,how it works etc.
    The next month the bill comes and guess what ,I signed for a $769 phone because I believed,like a fool ,what both people told me ,just pay the tax.
    So I call TMobile,bitch complain, tell them that they bs'd me into believing "all you have to pay is the tax".
    Now,I know I should have read everything I signed ,my bad for trusting sales people.
    Finally ,after several calls and people,they reduced the cost to $175.
    This morning I open my bill and it's $657 !! WTF !!. So I call them and they say its a mistake,the credits havent gone thru yet and the rep who made the original adjustment will call me today .
    Another lesson learned about why you cant trust hardly anybody these days.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. pultzar

pultzar Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The USA is the only country in the world where people expect to get $700-800 free phones because they have been a loyal customer. Welcome to how it works everywhere else as far as paying the full cost of a phone... Except you get to do it in installments. And yes every carrier in the USA does it that way now.

3. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you can get a $700 phone and only the tax, sign me up.

You have always paid for the phone - just built into the rates. Over the past two years or so, they have been "unbundling" the phone from the monthly rate. Some people take the time to look over the charges, some still think they are getting free or cheap upgrades.

You are not.

The statement that you only pay the tax is true - for today. But, you have to eventually pay for the phone.

4. Backagain1

Backagain1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    See if any of these numbers will help you. I have struggled in the past and the Administrative secretary made it right.

Bellevue, WA 98006
    [email protected]

Also, try his Twitter account.

Secondary Contact
    Brian Brueckman
    Senior Vice President of Customer Service
    12920 SE 38th Street
    Bellevue, WA 98006
    [email protected]

Mike Sievert
    Chief Operations Officer
    12920 SE 38th Street
    Bellevue, WA 98006
    [email protected]

Chief Executive
    John J. Legere
    President and CEO
    12920 SE 38th Street
    Bellevue, WA 98006
    425-378-4000
    [email protected]

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Back again,I'll save those numbers. You live and learn,

• Like Like x 1
  6. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    At least with USCC they are up-front (at least locally). You pay for your data. You pay $40 per month for a smart phone. However, if you get a new phone from them, you finance the amount of the phone (no interest) over the selected time period. You make that payment, but then the $40 per month is discounted by either $20 or $30 depending on the amount of data you are buying. So in the long run you end up paying the same (I shortened my payback term so I spend about $4 more a month). And yes, you pay the sales tax up front. I actually am pretty happy with the way this program is working with them vs. some of their previous offerings.

Easter again..:
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You pay the tax up front and split the rest in 24 monthly installments.

I got the BOGOF Galaxy S7E, paid tax on BOTH phones upfront, AND pay the monthly right now. I got the $779 on a debit card which I promptly used on bills. Never let that hang around.

8. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I called them friday and they told me that the bill was a mistake and it will be corrected Also that the original supervisor who made the change down to $175 would call me.
    Neither happened so far ,the girl never called me and when I logged in to my account the bill was still $657. I'm gonna call again monday am and if that doesnt work I'm gonna call and email the people Backagain gave me. All this aggravation because they didnt tell me the straight story up front. Well I have all day monday and tuesday with nothing better to do than make a stink about this .I think they consider me another naive senior that they can fuck-over,well,they fucked with the wrong old man!!

• Like Like x 1
  9. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    jerseyguy, I would go back to the original store and find the knucklehead who told you of the free phone and return it.

You left out one big detail: in exchange for a "free" phone the carriers would tie you up for a two year contract with penalties for early cancellation. I believe it was pressure from the Government that caused the carriers to offer phone leases thus unbundling the hardware from the service.

That's why I bought out my ATT contracts over a year ago, bought two new iPhone 6 phones for $1300, brought along an old iPhone 4 and a Blackberry q10 (for me) and signed up with Cricket for $100 per month for 4 lines. Cricket runs on the ATT Network. I added a 5th line for a family member and increased my calling plan to include some international calling for me, so my monthly bill for 5 lines is $110 all in. I recently upgraded my phone to a BlackBerry Classic. Gotta have the keyboard.

10. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    T-Mobile pressured other phone carriers, not the government.

I did something similar switching from Verizon to T-Mobile. $150 unlimited everything for 4 lines.
    Also got BOGOF Galaxy S7E, 2 years Netflix free, and 2 $100 Samsung gift cards.

I recently got 5 LG G Pads at $240 each but they give a $240 debit card for each.

11. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd be perfectly happy if they straighten out this mistake and I pay off the $175 that a supervisor and i agreed to and get on to the next order of business. I thought getting a new phone was as simple as buying a new pair of shoes or something. Right now I'm also involved in an extended warranty claim on my recliner thats tearing in places and a homeowners ins. claim on storm damage from this horrendous hail storm we had in June. What pissed me off about this cell phone crap that I thought it was a done deal which was reflected on Julys bill.I know people have worst problems ,I just thought I had put this one to bed.

12. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry.. there is no free phone. I don't think many people REALLY LISTEN to the explanations.

NO FREE PHONE.

They cost $600-$800. Somebody has to pay.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks to everyone for pointing out that theres no free phones,I think I got the idea now. However if the two TMobile people I dealt with had told me this in plain english I would have piicked out a much cheaper phone than the Galaxy s7 ,paid it off and been happy. But because they told me half-truths I got stuck with a much more expensive phone that really need .
    I just got off the phone with a supervisor who promised me that this will be straightened out within 24 hours She gave me her location and employee number for future reference. So actually ,because of them trying to out-Fox me I have a $700 phone for $175.

• Like Like x 1
  14. jamesxnj

jamesxnj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've actually had no problems with Verizon as a grandfathered in customer from Alltel..Years ago when I upgraded the phone to a Samsung and paid maybe $150 or so,that was that.My bills stayed the same..
    And once I had to call them about the phone itself and the guy noticed my old plan could be changed (with an extra feature I may use in LV (hotspot) and sure enough the guy saved me about $25 a month.I was skeptical but it worked.

Glad things worked out for you jerseyguy...but I think phone companies are minor league compared to Cable TV trying to get your service/bill issues handled...Comcast is #1 in raising BP..

15. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So you never heard of commissioned retail sales people taking advantage of a seasoned citizen? Never heard of just paying sales tax at the store then getting billed for the phone on the monthly statement, so it's a new one on me.

16. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A buddy of mine was a top guy in his company so stuff like phones,computers were supplied to him by people whose jobs were to provide these things. Now that he's retired he went to get a smart phone of his own and got taken because he didnt bother to do his homework., he was clueless.

17. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The tax up front & financing it seems to be the wave of the future. One of the things that gal I know that works there told me is that a popular way to do it also
    is for people on lower incomes they get the phone & finance it, then when they get a tax refund or a quarterly income payment (specific group in our area) they will pay off the remainder that is financed (again no interest). They still however receive the $20 or $30 discount because they did finance the phone but it is now paid for. Consequently bill is $25 to $35 less per month when they have the lower fixed income. I used to love paying a penny for a phone, but I'm fine with this - in the long run I think I have the iPhone 6SPlus for about $4 extra a month. I'm ok with that. Not sure if Verizon does it in town too but one of my co-workers compared it sounds like it was running the same premise.

Easter again..:
  18. Backagain1

Backagain1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sometimes there are specials on phones. LIke Jgates said with regards to the iPhone 6s for an extra 4 a month. The sales person was telling us this and I did not believe him. He said it about 4 times with me repeating it each time to see if I missed something. I so did not believe him. Bought the phone finally and he was right. Sometimes there are specials on iPhones for 100 or 200 and I buy at that time. Yes with the 2 year contract.
    I would think that going into a phone store we can believe the representative but I know that is not always true. I would just phone or email the contact number I provided and ask someone to give you what was promised.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.