1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Weaker or more easily profitable rooms in Vegas?

Discussion in 'The Poker Room' started by NJbadlands, Jul 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NJbadlands

NJbadlands PH and Cosmo October 11-15/mirage july 11-14

Trips to Las Vegas:
    basically do any rooms have more tourists and less regulars than others? I typically do not play much poker in Vegas during my trips as i like to enjoy things I cannot do on the east coast (sports books, pools, food, etc). On this trip I plan at least one longer poker session 8-10 hours and was wondering if any rooms have more dead money than others?

I live close to Atlantic city and do well at 1-2 at Borgata and Harrahs, so curious if there are any rooms recommended in Vegas for someone looking to pick up a few bucks from less experienced players.

2. KKB

KKB VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    PH & MGM are probably the "fishiest" rooms, imo.

• Like Like x 1
  3. mwig

mwig VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To be honest, I haven't found any rooms that are bad. If you do well at the Borgata you should be just fine. The craziest game I ever played was at Palace Station of all places. 1/2 NL with an avg pot size that had to be close to $200. Don't know why it was that way but I think it was a bunch of bigger players that decided to be out of the way for a while. Sam's town occasionally gets a game like that too.

I agree with KKB on PH. I think a lot depends on the texture of the crowd. Big non math type convention at Mandalay and you can get some good weak action there too.

4. NeonTurtle14

NeonTurtle14 I Run the Vegas Hotdog Stand

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've found the smaller low-mid properties with poker rooms (not the 'big' rooms) are easy targets. Thinking of Luxor, PH, Monte Carlo, Excalibur, Mandalay, Flamingo, Linq...

5. azlefty

azlefty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Im a soso low limit holdem player. Excalibur poker room 2-4 limit holdem used to be consistently easy. HOWEVER, I once played there during the WSOP and it was full of busted players who were way better than me.
    So steer clear for another week or so.
    I like playing at the Golden Nugget. There is a $10 chips coupon in the ACG.
    The low limit tables sometimes have higher rake % though. I don't know about no limit. You can just watch for a while and see if anyone looks gullible.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  6. KKB

KKB VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That coupon is gone from the ACG this year :-(
    I played Excal limit game once--if you are used to NL you will likely hate limit. Serious chaser game.

7. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When matters as much as where. Take a major strip room on a busier night later at night, and you will get more (and drunker) fish.

• Like Like x 1
  8. NJbadlands

NJbadlands PH and Cosmo October 11-15/mirage july 11-14

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So it's basically like borgata or Tropicana in AC after club goers out...

9. kps

kps High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  10. mwig

mwig VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And they are right to chase. 4/8 limit. Raise to $8 pre flop and 6 players call. The pot is $48. Unless you have something like 33 on a board of AKQ, you aren't going anywhere with the $4 flop bet that you know everyone will call. If you flop a draw, the turn is the earliest exit point and even then you might be facing an $8 bet into a $64 pot. If you get decent starters and the draws never fall you can lose pretty rapidly on that game.

11. KKB

KKB VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I definitely get the pot odds to chase...it is definitely a different midset.
    I had pocket Ks, but you cannot raise enough to get most people out. Flop a set...but there is a straight draw. AGAIN I cannot raise enough to get a chaser out...of course, hits his straight.
    At least in NL I can make them pay to chase. Sometimes they will still hit but at least the times they don't are profitable enough to cover the times they suck out.

12. PopMegaphone

PopMegaphone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The great thing about Vegas low limit poker is if you're at a bad table either ask for a table change or go to a different room. I've played all up and down the strip and you can find good and bad tables everywhere.

13. scc31

scc31 Low-Roller

I think it varies depending on time of day, week, and year. If you're playing closer to WSOP you'll have pros from throughout the world come here. If yo play on weekend, you'll most likely encounter more pros as well.

As for venue, I found Wynn surprisingly easy but that was on a Weekday. (I think Monday?? or Possibly Sunday night). I played 1-2 for several hours and was up a couple hundred with basic Poker strategy and common sense.

14. KKB

KKB VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    scc I disagree with you--I think you find more tourists on the weekends. Thus typically softer games, especially Fri/Sat evenings to late.
    Additionally, while the WSOP brings in more pros--it also brings in a whole lotta wannabes--those who think they are WAY better than they are...

15. Niteshade

Niteshade VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know about tourist vs. regulars, but the easiest
    game I ever played in was at Bally's. The NL tables were full
    so my friend and I bought into the 3-6 limit game and those were
    the absolute worst players ever. We cleaned up.

Later I had to meet up with some friends, but she stayed and entered
    the tournament they had with 500.00 guarantee and won it. She played
    it the next day and chopped it. This was in December 2015. I'm sure
    they have some tough regulars sometimes, but that particular weekend
    we had a great run there.

I also found the Flamingo to be fun. I know sometimes the Flamingo
    has some tough regulars, but other times it isn't tough. I have done
    really well there on several occasions and also hit a few of their daily
    high hand bonuses - don't know if they still do that - I haven't played there
    in about a year. They used to have different ones going. Maybe check it out.

16. Sinatraatthesands

Sinatraatthesands Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Everybody knows how to play now. Most all of the regulars in Vegas at 1-2 are just doing it to try to earn extra money like a part time job. You don't get drunks much anymore. And if people don't know what their doing they short buy and NEVER rebuy. Everybody has poker close to home and if their playing on a trip they probably play a lot. Most are better than the locals. I play all over town and I don't see a ton of people who just suck. When you do 8 other people have spotted it to and the chances of you being the person that gets the person with that big of a target on their back is slim. Plus, like I said, it's rare that you'll even see it.

Avoid Mandalay Bay. Worst scrounger regs in town all sitting on the worst promos on the strip. I love the staff at Bally's but you need quads to win a pot in that place. Just super tight players with no money. PH has really loose games with some bad players but a lot of other things about the room can make it almost not worth it. Venetian games have gotten better since they raised the rake and cut the comps. MGM can be good if a big event is in town. A good game can pop up anywhere at any time but it's just luck finding it. The only place I've been that the players are almost all bad is Excalibur. During the day they have the worst dealers in America but at night their all top notch.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.