1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Moral Dilemma-Parking

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Ckspores, Jul 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ckspores

Ckspores Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My husband is telling me to calm down but I'm so frustrated with one of my neighbors.

I'm seeking advice from cooler heads than mine (or maybe hotter heads).

I live in a very dense townhouse neighborhood. Parking is at a premium and street parking is hard to find. My husband and I pay yearly to lease an additional parking spot. One of my neighbors (an idiot based on their inability to park straight) keeps parking in our spot. The stupid thing is, they lease the spot next to us. I don't know if they are confused, or impolite, or what. I keep trying to figure out who it is but I never actually see the owner of the car so I'm not sure who they are or where they live.

I've left a few notes on the windshield and always just park on the street but now it's starting to piss me off. With the holiday weekend, I had to park four blocks from my house last night. Not the biggest deal ever but when I pay for a spot across the street, I expect to be able to use it.

I want to have this car towed. My husband wants to contact the property manager and find out if we can contact these people and ask them to stop. He thinks towing the car would make us bad neighbors but I think their continued violation of our parking lease makes them bad neighbors. After repeated "chances" I'm tired of their BS. I feel like towing them would send them a message they might actually understand.

What would you do?

2. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would contact the property manager first. Do you have someone on site? If not they may not be able to do anything this weekend.

IMO, you paid for the spot and you should be the only one parking there.

3. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You the mildest form first. You already left notes, that didnt work.

next step it talk to the property manager, if that doesnt work then towing would be the last option. No sense in going crazy, maybe they have some sort of medical issue or just dont understand the rules.

4. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Contact the property manager. Enforcement of HOA rules / regulations starts there.

5. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Without knowing what was in the note.... advice is difficult.

If you made it clear it was a paid for and leased space, then you need to take more steps. I would give the property manager a shot at it. They need to understand the car is subject to being towed without notice.

Though you are within your rights to have it towed, keep in mind what may happen:
    - they will be pissed their car is gone
    - they may be late for work, or worse lose their job
    - they will have to find a way to get to the place where the car is
    - they will have to pay to get it back
    - you will not have a really pissed off neighbor.

As often said, you may be right. Dead right. Not saying it will come to that, but people can be crazy.

6. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Use large orange traffic cones to guard your spot. Put a note on the cone that "this spot belongs to house 26B."

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ckspores

Ckspores Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The notes have all been very simple and polite "This space is leased, please don't park here anymore. I would say something in person, but I'm not sure what house you live in." Even though it annoys me, these are people that I'll have to live around for the next 5-8 years so I wanted things to stay civilized.

The one I left last night was a little more threatening. It read "this is space is leased; stop parking here. If you don't move your car in 24 hours, we will be forced to have it towed."

24 hours is up at 4:00. I took a timestamp photo of the vehicle and the date/time was on the note, too.

Like I said, normally I'm cool. I leave a note, park on the street, and the car is almost always gone the next morning. But with the holiday weekend and with guests coming over tonight, I've reached the end of my rapidly-fraying rope.

8. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good note.

But - if they are gone for the weekend and do not see the note, then it was pretty much worthless. Just sayin. Might as well have towed it in the first place. As mad as I might be, I would make sure they have seen the note before towing.

Just my two cents. Which is not worth much.

9. Geogran

Geogran VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is something that should be handled between you and the property manager. I agree it's frustrating to not be able to park when you are paying extra for the privilege.

Since you haven't referred it to the Manager before now, I'd call and email the property manager today, but expect that you may not get a response til after the holiday - you also have a better chance then of reaching someone who can actually resolve the problem if you wait a few more days. If that fails, send it to the board of directors or the Property Management group.

I would advise against further notes since they have already ignored your neighborly notes on their vehicle and who knows what the reaction might be. Too many hotheads out there to take a chance.

Hope you have a safe and wonderful 4th of July celebration with family and a good parking resolution next week...

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  10. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How many units are in your building? If it's not many I would go door to door to find the culprit before towing. On a holiday weekend that is going to be one expensive impound fee (sat-sun-mon) and they could even lose their car if they can't pay it. Not that they aren't jerks and don't deserve it, but like you said you have to live around them for a long time.

My neighbor doesn't have a car but a space is included in his rent. His wife has a car but she left him a few months ago. When she comes to drop off their kid she uses the space for a few minutes only. So when I had to rent a car for a work thing I used his space. I let the manager know and she said she didn't care if he didn't. What I didn't know is that he had a lady friend coming over and using the space at night! He went door to door asking people if it was their car and I felt awful! He actually laughed when he found out it was me and said just to ask him next time, but I have a feeling he just didn't want me to tell his wife.

11. Film-Noir

Film-Noir High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow, soo rude -Ckspores
    (them not you)

Starting off-review your parking lease:
    Many leases have towing clauses to protect your rights to your property, that the Landlord can/will enforce.
    Easy fix, make the Lessor enforce your parking rights,
    your not towing them, the owner of the property did.

Some jerk-faces are passive aggressive, & they know it's not their parking spot,
    there just being rude!

12. KimiCoconuts

KimiCoconuts Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Film-Noir is correct, make the property manager tow them. You are right in thinking they don't care about your rights/feelings as they continue to park in the space despite knowing from your prior notes not to. I would have gone insane before now. If I am paying for it, I would not be as patient as you have been up until this point.

13. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Let the air out of all 4 tires and then scratch your phone number in their paint on the drivers side door...just kidding about scratching your number.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Where I live, we are required to go through property management for getting someone's car towed. Check your property handbook before you cause hot water for yourselves.

15. jamesxnj

jamesxnj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sidewalk chalk.. "NO PARKING UNLESS RESIDENT OF UNIT XXX" Will eventually wash away..

16. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I live in a condo and if someone parks their car in a friends space we knock on every condo door. We always find who parked their car in the car space. We have 30 condos and we always find the driver right away.

My advise is to buy several orange cones and line them up on the divider lane line. Then put an extra cone on the edge of the parking space those their car doesn't park crooked. You can also put a caution yellow plastic line along with the cones. Also include a super large cone on your own parking space. Place it near the edge.

I know it is a lot of work but it works. I have lots of orange cones on my parking space so people don't use my parking space when my car is not there.
    You can also put up a sign that says, "NO PARKING" You will be towed. Also put your condo number so people know it is your space if necessary. LucyR.

• Like Like x 1
  17. chantellevegas

chantellevegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree witbhcalling the property manager first to tow, and then tow yourself. Where i live, only the legal owner of the property can call a tow truck anyway otherwise people would have others towed all the time for stupid (but funny) reasons.

18. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you have left notes then they are the bad neighbours.

I'd go through the property manager but with a strong tone. Ideally you'd rather have them fighting the manager or getting the manager to get them towed.

19. wernerw

wernerw Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just 2 things to consider:
    - They may think it is their spot
    - Did you leave your address on one of the notes so they can contact you and clear a potential misunderstanding?

20. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.