1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

You guys getting more scam calls lately? Nastier?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by makikiboy, Jun 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I somehow got on the "stupid and gullible" list because lately I'm getting more of the "IRS" type scam calls. Before I was getting them once and a while (like every 3 or 6 months) but lately in the past 2 months (right near tax deadline) I started getting those calls weekly. Last week I got them twice in one week. I'm also getting calls at different hours of the night (I don't pick up my phone though and let them go to my answering machine), one time at 10:30 at night, another at 11 but usually between 4 and 9 pm. They don't leave a message but I notice the calls are more frequent hours and days after they leave the scam message on my answering machine. Guess I should get caller id but with this year being an election year I know that I will be inundated by political calls.

When the robocalls first started you could tell the calls were scams. The caller usually didn't have an American accent and telltale signs like the way they gave out their phone number, usually not grouped the way the US groups phone numbers ((xxx)-xxx-xxxx) - more like 1234567890. Lately the calls have gotten nastier and sounds like someone from the US, complete with the way we normally give out our phone number. The other day I got a call from the "Treasury Department" saying it was from agent jane doe, Treasury Department badge number 1234567 that they had a warrant out for my arrest for tax fraud and that I had to call them back or face immediate arrest in the next hour. I usually get the standard IRS calls but guess they are morphing and getting nastier in an attempt to scare people to respond.

I have never responded or called them back so not sure why they think they can scare or scam me. Yeah, I always wanted to call them back to tell them to f* off but I figure like robocalls, if you respond to them it only reinforces that you are a live person and they will sell your number to more people to try to bother or attempt to scam me.

I don't have my number tied into my email so this is separate from the usual scam emails that I normally get.

What about you guys? Getting more or nastier scam calls?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Niteshade

Niteshade VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes and you are correct in that some of them seem to be getting
    nastier - but they usually only call once - I am not a happy camper when
    they wake me up and they know it. Usually I check my caller ID before picking up
    if I am home, but sometimes if I have dozed off I think it might be one of my elderly relatives
    and I worry and pick up. Like my Mom. She is 86 and doing great, but if I am half asleep
    I worry and just pick up sometimes by knee-jerk reaction. I have gotten the IRS scam twice, the
    Sheriff's Dept scam once and then the rest are just charities or claiming to be charities calling.
    Even the legit charities are annoying when they just keep on and on and on calling.

The ones I have been getting lately on my caller ID are from one of the more well known charities and
    they called every single day at 2 PM for 2 weeks - then gave up since they never got an answer and
    now they call at 9 PM at night. Every day. I disconnected my answering machine ages ago and just
    scan the caller ID to see who I need to call back. If they are really friends or relatives - I have other numbers they
    can get me if they have to - or if they can't wait until I call back.

But really - every single day for 2 weeks. That is ridiculous. The sad thing is the supposed "do not call list" - not.
    Does nothing and then if they are a "legit" charity - they are exempt. They are so relentless.

3. salemorevegaslover

salemorevegaslover Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Makiki,
    Just had earlier this week, a memo from Oregon's Attorney General mentioning the IRS scam calls. I don't have a land line and NEVER, EVER answer calls from numbers I'm not familiar with. F...kum!. The one thing I am not.......stupid.

4. salemorevegaslover

salemorevegaslover Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nightshade,
    So what charities are legit. Have you read about the Red Cross latest scandal? I just give to real humans I know and that way I know where my money went.

5. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We are getting many more calls over the last few months. Many are the IRS scams, Microsoft needs to access my computer because I have a virus, and multiple calls from "Fav", whatever that is. It's to the point that I have turned off the ringer on the home phone because anyone who calls me and doesn't get an answer, will just send me a text message instead. ;)

The worst was a few weeks ago when I was waiting for some test results from my doctor. I got super nervous about it while waiting. I kept rushing to the phone to find it was another call from "Toll Free" or some other BS. :grrr:

6. Frankr163

Frankr163 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Robo calls are about the ONLY calls I get anymore on my landline. Usually no messages left, but I've gotten the Treasury Dept. calls and various credit deals, that I need to respond to immediately,
    I never answer any calls without checking the caller ID. Usually I just let it ring and go to the answering machine.
    My current response has been to turn on my Fax machine to answer all calls. I leave it on for 4-5 days and that seems to keep them at bay for a while.
    I agree about the uselessness of the "do not call" last. Too many exceptions, and then really no penalties for ignoring it.

Anniversary Trip
  7. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No, I wasn't getting the robo calls every day, at first I was getting them once a week the past 2 months and last week I got 2 of them in a week. I do get some calls, probably average about 1 a night but they don't leave a message and I don't have caller ID.

I never pick up my phone because of solicitors and this year because of political calls. If you don't leave a message I don't care because I won't pick up.

8. Geogran

Geogran VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Those IRS scam calls are nasty and SCARY sounding even when you know it's a scam - I worry for those folks like my gullible elderly father in law who could be taken in by these scams - we have convinced him to call us before he ever attempts to deal with those types of calls.

9. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I get the IRS type calls, but also get calls where I answer and there is no one on the other end.

10. Ckspores

Ckspores Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Somehow my number got on every scam list on the planet. I'm constantly getting calls (at least 1-3 a day) about all manner of scams.

I don't answer numbers I don't recognize and once I've confirmed it's a scam number, I block it. They seem to have an unlimited supply of phone numbers.

11. Alexander

Alexander MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got a call telling me I won a free 7 day cruise. All I need to do is to "Give them my credit card information, and I will be on my way on that free cruise!" Really? Do people actually fall for this sht? First of all, a free cruise should never need credit card information. Second of all, you're a hole if you give your credit card information to that mysterious voice on the other end! I politely told them I was not interested in a free cruise. They emphasised that it was free. I once again told them I was not interested. They finally backed off and I hung up.

12. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The problem relating to blocking them is that normally is not the number they are even calling from. They can morph the display on your ID or cell to display any number they want. The biggest one they are using in our area lately is to have it display the prefix from one of the two local cell carriers. Then it appears it may be someone you know & maybe just forgot to put in your address book. Then you pick up the call & get some stupid 'This is Rachel from cardmember services' or one of the other 500 different cr*p items. I have never actually received the IRS one, although hubby's aunt & uncle received around 8 of them in a one week period.

The cruise one around here was a pre-recorded voice telling me I won a free Royal Car. cruise. Mom got same one.

13. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you're not on my contact list, I'm not answering the call.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Alexander

Alexander MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Electroguy, I'm not sure about ignoring anyone who is not in your contact list as lots of people do lose/change their phone numbers/have to use complete stranger's phone numbers to call loved ones. So you never know when your cousin is calling you in an emergency from a different number after she lost her phone.

15. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pretty common behavior these days- I do this, my wife does, most ppl I know also. If the unrecognized number calling had something important to tell you, they can leave a voicemail.

16. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I no longer have a land line and I don't miss it. I never really minded the calls from "humans" because it was fun messing with them, but the automated calls were just annoying. The "virus" guys from Microsoft were especially fun to mess with. So far, I don't get these calls on my cell phone.

17. TexasLady

TexasLady Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I bought a call blocker from Amazon and since then I hardly get any calls. When I first bought it it seemed like I was hitting that big red button several times a day. Now I get one every two or three weeks. Love my call blocker.

18. DrLect

DrLect Winning!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't understand why AT&T does not offer a product (available for free or at a price) that assists people in not having to put up with unwanted calls. I am at the point where I am seriously considering eliminating my land line because 95% of the calls are nuisance calls. These types of calls have to be causing others to abandon landlines as well.

Unfortunately, I am now receiving the occasional Rachel from Cardmember Services or the blaring horn from the cruise line that just awarded me a trip calls on my cell phone.

The phone companies need to stop these calls as they have made having a phone an additional annoyance. I object to paying for a service only to have low-lifes use it to harass me.

19. Niteshade

Niteshade VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes - I did read about the Red Cross. There have been others too over the years I read about like Salvation Army and United Way too.

But I guess I thought that associations like the American Heart Assoc, American Cancer Assoc, etc were legit. But still - I
    always donate only to my local groups and I am on the Board of some of the local Non-Profits and act as Tresurer of a few
    - so I know they are legit. And I do agree with you on knowing someone as being an important part of it before giving.

20. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A few months ago, I tied up one of the "microsoft scam call" guys for hours. First call, I acted like a moron as he tried to give me the instructions to give him access to my computer. I had him on speaker and went about my bisiness playing along for about 45 minutes before I tired of it and asked him if the problem was that I was on a Mac and not a PC. He said he would need to talk to someone and call me back. Later he called back trying to step me through the Apple process and I tied him up for another half hour before I suggested he call back when my husband was home. He called again that evening and told my husband he'd been talking to his wife earlier. Hubby put on an Academy Award performance telling the guy that was impossible, his wife left him a month ago and now the guy was just making him sad. He feigned tears and was asking the guy what he do yo try to win his wife back, etc etc. and all the while he's trying to step my husband through accessing his computer. Finally he heard me laughing and cussed my husband out.

The pricks called us about 3 times a day and hung up for several weeks after. Hey it's their time they are wasting. I hate those sob's that prey on people.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.