1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

WSOP Live TR

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by bribhoy, Jun 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bribhoy

bribhoy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

I flew from London to San Francisco last Saturday, the 11th, and have enjoyed a leisurely drive through some spectacular American landscape before arriving in Las Vegas yesterday. Napa, Sacramento, through Yosemite to Mono Lake before attempting to reach Death Valley on Wednesday. That was denied to me thanks to a ferocious duststorm creating white out conditions which resulted in a multi car collision which closed the road just before we got there. We were forced to turn back and make alternative arrangements for the night.

Traveled on to Vegas without further drama and were able to check in and get our room at the Rio by 11.30am. We then did some of the classic Brit activities, like shopping. Finished the evening with a quiet dinner at the Peppermill and a night cap at the Rio before retiring. Fairly subdued Day 1 in Vegas but we will be here till July 1st so there's no need to rush at it.

Today is when the WSOP adventure begins for both my wife and me. We have registered for three tournaments each. The Seniors event starts in less than an hour and the pre-event butterflies are kicking in. Last year, I was lucky enough to finish inside the top 100, and would dearly love to cash again. But of course there are several thousand other players who feel the same way.

After this we will be playing in the Solstice event, starting Monday, and the Monster Stack which starts next weekend. I will be attempting to provide live updates on progress as the weeks progress. I'm aware that starting this TR at this point is little more than an attempt to distract myself from the nervousness I'm feeling about the poker, but I will try to make sure I continue to report.

Cards in the air soon
    Brian

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. zenvegas

zenvegas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good luck.

I need a vacation from my vacations
  3. blackjacker2

blackjacker2 Never ever play 6:5, it is not blackjack

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like a great way to start your trip. Best wishes from a fellow Brit and I hope you get some good hands and they work of for you (both).:wave:

4. bribhoy

bribhoy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, I officially hate this game. I have K-8 in the big blind. Two limpers pre flop so I check. Flop is KK7, so I check and it checks around. Flop is J, I check again and the early position limper bets 500. I have 1200 so I push all in. He snap calls and shows KJ for the turned full house. I'm drawing dead and take the walk of shame.

Oh well, time to rail the missus and hope for the best there.

5. Big dan

Big dan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ouch!

6. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh no! Bad beat. :(

7. bribhoy

bribhoy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    She bust out just before the second break so a whole lot of free time just opened up for us! Probably because of nerves, breakfast consisted of a bagel and tea from Starbucks at around 8am. After getting over the loss of a thousand bucks in entry fees each, we regained our appetites. Ate at Flour and Barley at Linq - very good pizzas and great beer list.

After that, we've strolled round the corner to Carnaval Court. Good 80s band playing right now. Will probably enjoy a few beers here. Or more.

8. bribhoy

bribhoy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Forgot to mention that, on the way from Flour and Barley to Carnaval Court, I bought at hat at Goorin's.
    Image1466211206.200252.jpg

Either looking sharp or really enjoying the beer.

9. jamesxnj

jamesxnj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sharp man..GL rest of trip!

10. bribhoy

bribhoy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    From Carnaval Court we stroll on up to Venetian to visit the Bourbon Room, since I've read on VMB that they play lots of 8os music in there. While that is certainly true, the splendid cover band at Carnaval Court had played numbers by Blondie, Clash, Salt n Pepa, and Pat Benatar, Bourbon Room seemed more focused on real hard core rock. To be honest, I've never heard if Queensryche or Dokken so wasn't in love with the sounds there.

More tomorrow
    Brian

11. TomTWI

TomTWI Custom Title

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Love this type of live reporting keep it up.

Thanks

TomTWI

12. sybgal

sybgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for taking us along! Best of luck on the next game!

13. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good luck the rest of the way!

14. bigalbr

bigalbr VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tough break. No way you don't bust out given that board and action.

15. bribhoy

bribhoy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As Scarlett O'Hara once said, "Tomorrow is another day." Well Saturday has dawned and it's time to get back in the saddle. We decided to play today's Seniors event Downtown at the Golden Nugget. Firstly, though, since we last ate sometime yesterday afternoon and enjoyed copious quantities of some very good craft beers in the interim, ( shout out for the Green Flash West Coast IPA) breakfast was a priority.

We were heading downtown anyway so decided to check out Eat at Carson and 7th.

Image1466276296.283237.jpg
    The food is wonderful. Cinnamon biscuits, corned beef hash and huevos motulenos all get the seal of approval from us. Don't know if you can see it in the attached photo but that's head chef Natalie Young sitting on the bench outside.

After that, we headed up to the Nugget and registered for the tournament. 30 minute levels and we're just approaching the end of Level 2. Updates to follow. Hopefully.

16. bribhoy

bribhoy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bust out in the last level before second break. I had been patient, but blinded down to 4.5k with blinds at 250/500 and 50 antes. (Apologies to anyone following for the fun Vegas stuff who's not interested in poker) Pushed all in under the gun with KJ, one caller with pocket 8s, so I was flipping and didn't improve.

On the up side, it gave me the chance to go back to Bourbon Room and pick up my Alex card

17. bribhoy

bribhoy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had left my tab open last night and inadvertently (drunkenly) walked out without closing it out. If you ever make the same mistake, they close all the tabs at the end if the night and pass the cards to Lost & Found, which is next to the cage. Takes about a half hour to get the card sent up from wherever they keep them so some video poker with a couple of Ballast Point Sculpins, during which time my wife bust out as well.

She came to join me, I picked up the card, then we headed back to Carnaval Court. Stopped briefly at Walgreens. This is what the line looks like during EDC.

Image1466298508.218322.jpg

Now sitting in CC where they have Sculpin on draught. Heaven.

18. bribhoy

bribhoy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The band playing in CC this evening. Don't know their name but they are freaking awesome.

Image1466301084.792915.jpg

Oh, and this...

Image1466301169.299011.jpg

Poker is the reason for coming for two weeks. But, let's be honest, it's not the reason for staying for two weeks.

• Like Like x 1
  19. bribhoy

bribhoy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Looking stormy on the Strip tonight

Image1466303881.362565.jpg

As we decide on Italian food and stroll on down to Rao's in Caesar's.

20. bribhoy

bribhoy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great food at Rao's. Mozzarella carozza to start and veal milanese as a main were both delicious. I seem to have a blindspot about taking photos of food when it arrives and envy those VMBers who remember to snap those pristine dishes as they come out of the kitchen. I will try to do better tomorrow.

We have actual plans in place for Sunday, starting with brunch at Country Club, a free afternoon, then Steely Dan in the evening.

Will report ad it happens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.