1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Done planning - now what?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by EastCoastVegasFan!, Jun 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EastCoastVegasFan!

EastCoastVegasFan! VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Flight booked, hotel booked, comps booked...... Now I have 43 days to go.
    Any other level of planning I can possibly do? Open to suggestions.

July 19th - July 24th
  2. carolineno

carolineno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ~Look for concerts at Brooklyn Bowl & other venues that might normally fly off the radar
    ~see if there are any coupons in ACG that work for you
    ~drill down and read the cocktail menus of nearby bars
    ~search for happy hours
    ~see if there are any art or architecture tours you can do to keep you from gambling a few hours!

This is my list, mostly budget based but it passes the time, and I've found some good stuff. I have a cocktail "hit list" going, plan to knock a few off next weekend!

Ladies getaway, somewhere on the strip with a pool :)
  3. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is always more planning you can do.

• Meet-ups.
    • New sights to see since last trip.
    • Plan out restaurants to try or shows to see.
    • Plan out a new gambling or bankroll strategy.

• Like Like x 1
  4. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Once I'm done planning I still check airfares just in case they have gone down (Southwest). I'll also check hotel deals, maybe I can find something better at another hotel or at the hotels I'm already booked at. We always have an itinerary planned but leave a lot of open time too as we like flexibility. And this upcoming trip is unique because there will be 14 of us. So we have a few things planned as a group and the rest of the time we'll do our own thing. But I keep throwing out ideas for the rest of the group as many of them have rarely/never been to Vegas.

5. andyg99

andyg99 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    only 43 days? Start packing! seriously I'm only a couple weeks behind you and I'm already making mental notes on what to bring

Vegas Trip #57
    Vegas Trip #58, Sammy Hagar
  6. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've traveled a lot but I still make a list for each trip, Vegas or otherwise. Technically all you need is your ID and some cash/credit card but I don't want to waste vacation time having to stop to buy something I should have brought with me.

7. eksantirik

eksantirik High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Coupon (acg, lva) and restaurant planning (going through yelp reviews and pics) as well as squeezing myvegas comps would be my plan.

8. Lady Fortuna

Lady Fortuna Blessed with luck and ignorance...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I still have more than 100 days to go and do most of the above to help me through it. Also I love reading the trip reports here on the board, especially the ones with reviews and lots of pictures.

As I come from Europe, I usually stay quite a long time and I love the researching and planning and anticipation ahead of time. What I most like to do is, start with something (a place/destination or event) I have already set my mind on that I sure want to go do/see and then research options for food, transportation and entertainment etc in that area or on the way to there.

For example, I plan to stay a few days Downtown this upcoming trip (for the first time ever staying there, I'm very excited!), so I have researched for places in that area with free live music (like a jazz/blues/soul/rock band or dueling piano's for example) and restaurant reviews and - (happy hour) menu's for brunch and dinner options. Also I have searched the board for nice ideas and suggestions in that area.

And another example, if there is a restaurant where I sure want to go eat, then I research how to get there, is it walkable and if yes, what kind of things can I do or see on my way to there, and if not, then I find out what kind of transport I can best get. And I love to go through reviews and the menu's of restaurants.

Not that anything on my wish-list is set in stone. But then at least when I am there I have an easy list of options and have done all the research (like transportation, entrance prices, opening hours, etc) already ahead of time.

9. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was gonna say start planning the next one, but it looks like you already did.

I always keep checking flight prices and comp offers. I also start tracking my outbound flight on FlightAware.com to see how it's performing.

10. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Put the count down on the frig and update daily.
    Come up with a tentative plan.
    Select at least one new place to eat for each day.
    Plan activities. Downtown, off strip.
    Scan shows.
    Plan the gambling budget.
    Read the trip reports for any good ideas.

11. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I feel your pain. Planning and research is half the fun of the trip! When I am locked and loaded and just watching the calendar, it's always painfully slow.

I like the tip on looking at cocktail menus and dinner menus, I've done that, and it helps! Like others, I always price check airfare, even when booked. On the slim chance it drops, I'll call in and adjust it.

12. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm never done with my planning. I usually check for car rental prices daily, up to the day of my trip. Always good if you can get a lower price on a rental. Also since I don't qualify for comped rooms I usually check the hotel web sites (mostly kayak but some hotel sites also) to see if I can get lower prices on rooms. I also imagine what I'm going to be doing each day of my trip, just in case I forget something. I have an itinerary which includes things I want to do on certain days.

I don't know, I always feel like I'm forgetting something and sometimes I will get up in the middle of the night because I forgot to pack something (even with an itinerary and a things to bring list I always seem to forget the little things).

yeah, for me the planning and research makes up a lot of my trip things. But before you know it I'm on the plane making my way to where ever.

13. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Now it's time to change your mind :)

14. FrankCastle

FrankCastle Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Totally agree with all of the above. The research and planning is at least half the fun! One thing I didn't see mentioned is making restaurant reservations, particularly for somewhere you intend to go on a Friday or Saturday night. OpenTable makes it about as easy as can be and you can cancel reservations at any time if plans change.

15. Ckspores

Ckspores Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm 56 days out and right about now is when I usually get a little crazy. All my big work projects for spring/summer are done so I have very little to hold my attention at work. Vegas hotels and airfare are booked so the dates are set.

So, now I'm researching restaurants, happy hours, cocktail recommendations, and looking for deals on any shows I might want to see. I'm checking for MyVegas rewards that I might like to use. I'm researching bus routes for any off-strip places I might like to visit. I'm drooling over pictures of our comped suite at the Palazzo. I read new and old trip reports, hang out on the boards more than usual, and obsessively watch my favorite vegas movies (my husband now leaves the house when I throw on Vegas Vacation).

My mom and I will get together about 3-4 weeks before and do a rough plan of our schedule. This helps me focus my restaurant and show interests.

It makes me a little crazy because it still seems so far away but it'll be here before I know it! I find that if I look hard enough, there is always more to read about and plan.

I will say, typically my list contains way more than I'll ever do in 5 nights but I like to have lots of options to choose from depending on where I am at any given time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.