1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Coin-in for video poker comps - Update

Discussion in 'Comps' started by gimli53, May 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gimli53

gimli53 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I posted a question last September about expected comps for $14k coin-in on video poker at Cosmo and thought I'd give an update (old thread not open). https://www.vegasmessageboard.com/forums/index.php?threads/coin-in-for-video-poker-comps.124727/#post-1211524

The general feedback I received was spot on - likely to receive teaser offers for 2 nights. Interestingly, after a few months of those, Cosmo started to increase the offer. First it was just 2 nights Sunday - Thursday, then it was 2 nights with $100 - $200 in free play anytime (can't remember the exact amount), and February - April offers were 4 nights with $50 in freeplay - way more than I was expecting given my gambling activity last fall.

My wife wasn't really interested in another trip this year - she's done Vegas pregnant before and would rather wait until she's able to fully enjoy the trip. Luckily my dad caught the Vegas bug a couple years ago during a father/son trip and asked about a return trip this summer. My April offer expired June 4, but I called the identity desk and they honored the April offer for mid-June and put me in a Terrace One Bedroom with no resort fees. Also, the identity rep made sure our room will have a fold out couch as not all of the do. I never received a May offer after I made the reservation, so I kind of wonder if I was even going to get one.

I'll probably stick to VP this trip and doubt they will continue to send offers once they see my activity over 4 days, but I'll take the free trip this time around. I had my dad learn VP strategy as well so he can be my gambling buddy. He unfortunately converted a ton of Marriott points to Identity points thinking it would help with status (it doesn't), so he has offered to cover most of our food (it was a lot of points).

Anyway, just wanted to give a shout out to the comp experts out there. Wish me luck.

• Like Like x 2
  2. NickG

NickG Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hmm...I was told by Kevin Sweet (The Cosmo host who posted a thread here, that it would take $60k coin-in/day playing JoB VP to get any room comps there. I play dollar machines, so this is pretty impossible, and I had basically given up on playing at Cosmo. But if you can get this sort of comp from $14k coin-in, I would likely return.

3. buckeyestud

buckeyestud Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    60k coin in? That's nearly 5 hours at 500 hands an hour with $25 max bet ($5 level on single line JOB). Seems a bit high..

4. donovanrs28

donovanrs28 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is it possible he meant for "Trip"??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. NickG

NickG Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It was definitely per day.
    I forwarded him my other offers and he said he couldn't give me any comps, but that I should start getting offers if I gave "a solid day of play". I asked what a solid day of play meant in terms of coin-in, and his reponse was:
    "For video poker play, depending on what you play - $30,000 of coin in. At least double that if you play only Jacks or Better."
    Obviously this is impossible, since I only play $5/spin!

• Like Like x 1
  6. buckeyestud

buckeyestud Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Margins are quite low on 9/6 JOB so 60k coin in with 0.46% edge on optimal play is only $276. I believe what they want to cover a room is 250ish a day so it makes sense.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

7. adbynot

adbynot High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    $60K per day is Ludacris as $50,000 in a day would get you Diamond at CET. He must have meant over 3 days.

8. BayouBengal

BayouBengal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can play WAY under 60k a day and still get marketing offers. You may need 60k to get a room you paid for upfront or for an upfront comp. but you'll get a marketing offer for 2 nights at a lot lower than 60k a day. I know, I get the offers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes totally agree with this. I don't do near 60k coin in for a trip let alone a day.

10. Jejas

Jejas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think Kevin was telling the truth. Cosmo uses the new software which knows what game you are playing and what house edge it is. For 9/6 JoB you need 60k coin-in to cover a basic room.
    For 9/6 DDB the house edge more than doubled, you only need 30k coin-in or less.
    Don't confuse marketing offers/promotions with comps.
    Comps are what you have to earn by playing.
    Marketing offers are not. I got offer from Atlantis with free rooms, free play free food drink and even round trip airtickets. But I never been to there in my life, don't even know where it is.
    It doesn't mean Atlantis is generous on comps, not at all.

11. gimli53

gimli53 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Interesting. It's worth a shot I guess. As others have pointed out, it makes sense that these are marketing offers. I didn't expect anything at all - just like playing VP. That said, I'm pretty sure the only full pay JOB at Cosmo is $5 minimum. I think I was playing 9/5.

12. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED Money’s on the way, with CashNetUSA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yup..Cosmo has a pretty good player tracking system...it knows your EXACT theo.
    When he quoted you for $60k per day on JoB, that is correct. That's for an UPFRONT (or BACKEND, if you don't use any sort of marketing offer) comp.
    as BuckeyStud said, that's only a $276 per day theo, which is RIGHT on the low edge of host comps.
    As far as MARKETING offers go..I'd imagine a LOT less "drop-in" play would get the mailers going.
    On another note...$60k playing dollars is not that hard to do...500 hands an hour is SLOW (that's only a hand every 6 seconds or so), 720 hands is a "fair" pace...which is also another thing..they want 4 hours a day of "play" for front/backend comps...

13. TIMSPEED

Trips to Las Vegas:
    True, $50k in a day on video poker WOULD get you DIAD..but CET (in vegas) also has S-H-I-T-T-Y video poker, as well as a pretty archaic tracking system. (machine theo vs game theo)
    I think the "smartest" you could play at CET in Vegas, would be a theo of 4% on a 98.01% game (So you'd have a $2000 a day theo), but some people would MUCH rather stay at Cosmo, than Planet Hollywood.

14. meyers67

meyers67 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What 98.01% games have a 4% theo?

15. NickG

NickG Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can play over 1000 hands/hour at JoB, but there's no way I'm playing 12 hours of VP at that pace in a day!

If they are tracking exact theo at Cosmo, it probably isn't my place to play. I get plenty of room offers at downtown properties playing better games (close to or over 100% payout) for less time, so they must have a different system.

16. Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas Elvis has left the building

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What is the CET Theo on their 98.45% $1 3 Play 9/5 JOB (or their STP 9/5 JOB)? How about the 3 Play $1 9/6 JOB outside of Vegas?

Also, how is the 9/6 JOB$1 3 Line at MGM treated in the MILFe program?

Thanks,

Viva

17. TIMSPEED

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cosmo, like most other strip properties, isn't for the serious video poker player.
    Yes, most downtown properties have a MUCH older tracking system.

18. TIMSPEED

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know.
    2% at best.
    And 1%, at best.
    I'm not a video poker superhero...

19. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    From a recent trip report I read on another forum, and earlier posts in this thread, it's pretty clear that cosmo takes the optimal house edge for whatever game variant you're playing and then will comp you roughly a third of that. So $60k/day at 9/6 Jacks makes sense then for a room there. Play 9/5 Jacks, then you would only need about $20k/day instead. But then you'd be playing 9/5 Jacks and losing just as much in play.

If there are any particular ones, I wouldn't mind a PM. Are you sure it's the TR tracking system holding CET back, Tim? They mostly do have the latest generation of VP machines, which I thought could break theo down by game. I guess there are a few clunkers left, but not many.

20. Jejas

Jejas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I see more and more places (and machines) converted to the newer tracking system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.