1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

RedWood Grill in June

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by bubbakitty, May 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My last stay at MSS I found a magazine I had not previously seen before titled Vacations Hawaii Las Vegas Bound which appeared to be primarily aimed at the Hawaiian / Asian crowd. It had articles with sponsors / advertisers from Hawaii and offered senior living on the islands with flexibility to travel to the mainland without fretting about leaving the home unprotected, etc.
    One article was titled "What's New at the Cal". A paragraph included "Renovations to the Redwood Bar & Grill will begin in June. During construction, Main Street Station's Pullman Grille room will be serving steaks, chops, and seafood off the Redwood Bar & Grill menu--they're calling it the Redwood at the Pullman."
    I am mixed. Last time we ate at the Redwood I actually looked up at the ceiling and noticed the beauty of their use of redwood in the décor and then actually looked around at other architectural uniqueness I had not seen previously. Stupidly, I realized the Redwood was named for the use of the redwood(?) and not for the California Redwoods near Sequoia National Forest(?) since the hotel is named the Cal. Anyway, hope they change out the rug and spruce up the tables / chairs but leave the charm (at least to me) alone.
    Plan to eat at the Pullman in June as I have walked in for a quick look but did not dally.

2. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you get the chance, dine at the Pullman. Here are some pictures of the restaurant.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The after dinner lounge in the railcar
    [​IMG]

3. jintheuk

jintheuk Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have reservation for 3rd june at redwood grill, there was no mention of it being closed then, so i assume it is after this date?

4. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Or, there will be a sign directing you to go the Pullman.

5. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The LV bound magazine is basically from Vacations Hawaii to get people to use their charters to go to vegas. You see many "senior" things (and ads) in there because the senior market to vegas is very strong with Vacations Hawaii. Many of the seniors like the charter because from HNL airport back to HNL airport, Vacations Hawaii takes care of them the whole way, air, shuttle buses, meals, luggage, all taken care of so the seniors don't have to worry about (just about) anything. Boyd was smart to tap into the Hawaii market and normally seniors are a little afraid of travelling so they use Vacations Hawaii charters which takes care of all their needs.

It's funny, if you take one of their charters, prior to boarding you see a row of seniors in wheelchairs waiting to board first. Then you see the elderly next in line, then families and then finally the rest of us.

Thanks for the pictures Joe, usually the only time I get to see inside the Pullman grille is if I stay at MSS on a Vacations Hawaii charter and have to wait inside the pullman for the shuttle bus back to the airport.

I guess it was time to renovate the Redwood, I don't ever remember that place being renovated before.

6. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    IMHO there is nothing at all wrong with it now. I sincerely hope they don't fuck it up, but they probably will.

Why do they always fuck with the things I love in Vegas???

7. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe 10 years ago I won the second place drawing at MSS. It was a trip to Hawaii on the charter. I actually won first place of $10,000 but you had to be present to win and we were already on the flight home.

Anyway, we get on that early morning flight all excited about going to Hawaii for the first time and the flight is filled with tired, burned out Hawaiians heading home after a stay in Vegas.

Coming back to Vegas, just the opposite. We are tired and burned out after our stay and everyone else is pumped to be heading to Vegas.

8. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got a reply back from Boyd about the closing date:

No set date yet for the closure of the Redwood.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.