1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Fifteen Hundred Points Away From Gold... They Expire 9/29/16

Discussion in 'Comps' started by AllieWhitt, May 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AllieWhitt

AllieWhitt Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I really wanted to celebrate my birthday the week of October 2-7 in Vegas, but my MLife points will expire on 9/29/16. I am about 1,500 points away from Gold. Called MLife and asked if they give any leeway of a few days after points officially expire and was told no. Unfortunately, points expire on the dates they list. The Rep said I would have to start over, but would keep my Pearl Level.....I would have to just start over from the Pearl Level to reach Gold. Not sure if I should just schedule my trip a week early to reach the Gold status, or just wait and go the week of my birthday and not worry about it. Is the Gold Level even worth it? I know I would get free upgrades to Suites....but other than that not much more than Pearl.

I just hate being so close and have to start over again, as I probably won't get back to Vegas until Spring, 2017.

Opinions please.

Thanks!!

2. adbynot

adbynot High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Considering you put in the effort to get where you are now, You are close enough to Gold that if going a week early wouldn't bother you, and I don't know how it could, I would go early and get Gold.

3. JerryD

JerryD Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The problem here, you will start at zero points October 1st. So while you would still have Pearl status, you still have to start at 0 points. HTH..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The annual date is pretty much fixed. It is what it is.

5. adbynot

adbynot High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do all Mlife level points reset on Oct 1st?

darkside betting

6. Hndful1

Hndful1 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd go early and consider Gold an early birthday present!

7. JerryD

JerryD Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    [​IMG]

I just came across this.

"Extended expiration of points"

I would call and ask again.

8. JerryD

JerryD Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My understanding is your tier credits expire Sept 30, but your pointplay and express comps have no expiration.

9. Geogran

Geogran VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    YES tier credits for status reset to zero Oct 1.
    According to mlife website: Points and Express points may be subject to forfeiture if account does not reflect any activity: six months for Sapphire or 12 months for Pearl and above - (although I'm not sure that they enforce this for the higher tiers) - always good to ask mlife!

To the OP:
    If celebrating your birthday during October is important, I'd stick with the October date, otherwise, weigh the benefits of gold status that are important to you:

Benefits of Gold over Pearl:
    Room upgrades to a view or suite are 'subject to availability' but not guaranteed
    Tier multiplier bonus on points earned and express comps earned for Pearl is 10% versus 20% for gold
    Priority check in for gold
    Cafe Line Pass and priority fine dining reservations for gold (buffet line pass for Pearl and above).
    VIP Line Access to nightclubs Pool day club access for gold

Whatever you decide - have a wonderful birthday trip! and lots of good luck!

Last edited: May 13, 2016
  10. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just for the OP - what you are referring to is Tier Credits expiring, not points. "Points" refers to base MLife points that you accumulate from gambling and they factor into the calculation of everything else, Tier Credits, Express Comps and PointPlay. Everybody's Tier Credits expire on the same date, and everybody has to re-earn a tier level in the following 12 months. Express Comps and PointPlay expire after 6 months of no activity for Sapphire level and 12 months for all other higher levels.

I think some of this could actually hinge on how often you go and how much you play on a trip.

One thing to think about would be:

If you go prior to Oct 1, you may secure Gold for another year. If you do that, will your Spring 2017 trip be the only trip you make during the next "MLife year", and if so, will you at least reach Pearl (25,000 TCs) on that trip? If the answer to both of those questions is yes, then it might be to your advantage to move your trip up.

But if moving your next trip up means you'll only have a single trip in the next MLife year, and you think you may not reach Pearl during it, then you may be better off keeping your current schedule.

Pearl year 1 followed by Pearl year 2
    is slightly better than
    Gold year 1 followed by Sapphire year 2.

Because the effect on the ExpressComps/PointPlay tier bonus is a wash (10% / 10% vs 20% / 0%), but maintaining Pearl in year 2 protects any banked ECs/PP for 12 months instead of 6.

Just to throw in an additional complication - I usually get an offer for Freeplay in my birthday month, and it gets loaded on my account automatically (I don't have to book anything), but I can never use it. If you get an offer like that, I definitely wouldn't change my dates.

The Gold benefit that has the most potential monetary value is the MLife Tier Discount, and I think it's only 5% or so better than Pearl. And it would only really significantly kick in if you didn't already get comp offers or wanted to book a suite.

The Express Comps and PointPlay bonus for Gold vs Pearl are worth a combined 2 tenths of one cent per $3 coin in.

So $50 or more extra in no-strings-attached Freeplay in your birthday month is probably worth more than all the rest of the Gold benefits you will ever get or use.

Last edited: May 14, 2016
  11. Fligster

Fligster VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Benefits of gold over Pearl, don't forget free valet parking, pearl only gets free self park.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. Kolmeseiska

Kolmeseiska Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The biggest issue in moving your trip a week back is are massive room rates for the last week of September. Just checked Mirage for example, your dates in October are $602 before taxes and resort fees. Same dates a week before are $1012. I don't think it's worth it. Depends on where you're planning on staying of course.

13. Fligster

Fligster VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do you stay at Hyatt Hotels? You can convert Hyatt stay points to mlife tier credits. You have to have your accounts linked. I think it is 6 tier credits per dollar spent. Be aware though that I have yet had this happen automatically even though I have asked at checkin. I have had to contact Hyatt customer service after the fact.

[​IMG]

14. chuckM

chuckM Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Within the last 5+ years and all the rule changes, I went from Platinum to Gold and settled in at Pearl. I'll keep Pearl. The offers are better. The $20 tip rule still applies for upgraded rooms, the buffet line pass still exists, I still get early check-in...losing 5% off of a pack of gum really sucks though. IMHO, don't chase comps.

15. Vegas6821

Vegas6821 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    See if you can buy some show tickets from a MLIFE resort through their website. It's 25 TC/ dollar spent. $60 spent would get you your 1500 TC. Just a suggestion, not sure if TC get added instantly or if you have to go to MLIFE desk with receipt.

16. Kolmeseiska

Kolmeseiska Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Doesn't work, need to pick up the tickets to get TCs.

17. Vegas6821

Vegas6821 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Man they have thought of everything

18. Kolmeseiska

Kolmeseiska Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They have. I was less than 1000 points short 2 years ago, I only realized it when I was already at the airport. I would've booked and paid a $25 stay at Excalibur and pull a no show on purpose to get the points but I was informed that it won't work. Same goes for show tickets.

19. bjpcyclone

bjpcyclone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do you know anyone going to Vegas before the end of September? You could always give them your card and a few bucks to get there.

There are some unadvertised benefits to gold too. I was gold last year and got me and a guest into Morea Beach at Mandalay Bay for free ($50 cover for guys).

20. Buckeye63

Buckeye63 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you cant reschedule your trip, or if you looking for a guaranteed way to have mLife Gold status every year I highly recommend signing up for the Hyatt credit card:https://creditcards.chase.com/credit-cards/hyatt-card.aspx

In addition to automatic mLife Gold status (once you link accounts which I did following the instructions online at the Hyatt website with no issues) you also receive a free night at a Category 1-4 property annually. My wife and I use it for one of our nights at NYNY, linking it to our mLife comp offer and usually stay 5 days there for free (other than resort fees and room charges, some of which gets removed at the end of our stay due to our play).

IMHO-best way to get gold status without having to stress over play.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.