1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

I'm Old... Do Kids Still Do Keggers?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Camp Rusty, May 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Camp Rusty

Camp Rusty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Back in the day, highschool was early seventies for me, the juniors and seniors would start up the senior keggers about now. I haven't heard a thing about high school keggers in forever.

My school was small enough that we all went to the same parties and got along pretty well. There was usually one every weekend now and also in the fall. We had them at the beach, in the woods by the sewer plant ( not as bad as you'd think ) plus it was back far enough in the woods behind it didn't stink.......much, and kids houses occasionally with the parents home.

When I moved in here thirty five years ago the local kids had keggers up off the logging roads above us but not at all lately and things haven't changed up there, you can still drive up there pretty much with no one caring. I think it's a pretty positive thing they don't seem to happen......we did some really stoopid stuff. ( but we sure had some stoopid fun )

I still like beer............guess I come by it honestly.

2. h0und10

h0und10 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yup. I am 24 now but we we still had the senior keggers.. I work for a T shirt printing place now and we print "senior kegger" T shirts for the kiddos now lol

3. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I live within walking distance of a beach, so judging by the remnants of bonfires and many used beer containers and trash cans overflowing with party trash, I would say yes.

I also see some Long Island Whitefish, so at least they are being responsible.

4. Camp Rusty

Camp Rusty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I grew up on the beach so when the cops came I was in charge of grabbing the taps and running down the logs away from the cops.......the deposit on the taps was like fifty bucks way back then.......more than the beer cost. All the city kids would crash and burn running the logs in the dark and get busted. Which was just a stern warning and parental notification threats. For the most part we were already pretty good about designated drivers......and when you are in high school walking a couple miles to and from a party was no big deal,so I walked home a lot.

Someone we knew always worked in a burger joint so we'd have those big wax paper soda cups to drink out of.....they always started to disingrate and get all squishy....I remember having beer all over me. Long before red solo cups !

5. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Times are a little different now. Most places do not allow drinking until age 21 anymore. That is like drinking when you were 15 in the 70's when the drinking age was 18. But yes, some of us did drink when we were that age (and did some of the Maui wowie too). I think the keggers are more in college than in High school (it does go on but not as rampant as when we were younger). So much nowadays about being drug free and alcohol free that drinking parties and keggers aren't a regular thing for many kids.

6. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't remember keg parties until college. I and most of my friends were able to legally drink my senior year in HS and we mostly did the bars that tolerated kids of that age and the mixers at a local college and such.

I honestly sometimes wonder how we survived our college years with the amount of alcohol that we consumed back then! Even those of us who tried to keep our GPA up tended to party hard most weekends. I'm surprised that so few actually suffered from alcohol poisoning! Drug use was another thing.

7. bigalbr

bigalbr VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I overheard an interesting conversation about kegs yesterday in the liquor department at the local Albertson's. Not sure about all of the background, but the Albertson's liquor manager was trying to convince the guy to buy case beer over keg beer because the cost savings of a keg don't work any more. He was saying the cost benefit was about 30%. The drawback are tap and keg deposits, multiple trips to the store, and possible beer wastage. It's a long way from when I was in college and a case of beer cost $8 and a keg ran $28.

8. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Beer wastage is real. I remember one Sun morning in college making beer bread and trying to figure out if rinsing our hair with beer made it shiny. Nope. Just made us smell like breweries! (also, I have no idea how we had leftover beer, but our house was farther from campus than others- must have been a busy party weekend)

9. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A half keg has around 165 pours at 12oz. each assuming no waste. That is the equivalent of 6 cases (24 bottles per case) plus 21 bottles or 5.5 thirty packs. Bud and Coors were also $20 for a 30 pack, so each can is $0.67. A half keg of Bud was $75, so each 12 oz pour is $0.45. So when it comes to the conundrum of cases vs. kegs, do the math. Keep in mind if you don't kick the keg it will go flat by the next day.

I didn't have keggers until college, and back then I drove a '77 Corolla which didn't fit half kegs, so a coupe of times I picked up four quarter kegs of Pabst @ $12.50 each. Today it's possible to buy 1/6 kegs of Craft beer, that is about 55-12 oz.pours. So for a Father's Day party, I brought a 1/6 keg of Victory Brewing Festbier. It was $55, so that was like buying a case for about $24.......and it kicked at the right time.

10. RealSolGlow

RealSolGlow MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm 32....the last kegger we had was about 12 years ago. They do happen but now that I'm a bit older I do not hear of them.

Man....I need to throw a kegger.

11. Tony Y

Tony Y Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Used to have them all the time in the softball bar leagues on Sundays in NYC. The home bar for that Sunday doubleheader supplied Keg of beer and BBQ for both teams. Monday mornings were rough going to work

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.