1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Problems, Questions And Issues With New Software Thread

Discussion in 'Admin. Announcements' started by Sonya, May 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ok, I think that the worst of the migration is over. ;) I'm spending this week tweaking and polishing and hopefully helping you all with any issues or problems you are having with the new software.

What are you having trouble with?

2. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some people have had some questions about posting, quoting and replying. Here's the relevant section from the user guide for replying to a post and the different options to quote or not to quote. :)

Reply to a Thread:

At the bottom of the page there is a Post Reply Box where you can type into and add media and/or pictures and go to more options if needed. Then click on the "Post Reply" button underneath. This is the most basic way to reply to a thread in general.

Reply with quote:

If you wish to quote a specific post as part of your reply, all you need to do is to go to the post you want to quote and click on the Reply text at the bottom right of the post.

This will automatically create the quoted text in the Post Reply box at the bottom of the screen.

[​IMG]

If you wish to edit this content, be sure that you don't change or remove the [ QUOTE] and [ /QUOTE] codes on either side of the text. You can delete whatever you want between them, but they are necessary for the reply to appear with the quoted text in your reply.

Multi-quote:

If you wish to quote multiple posts, just click "Reply" in each individual post and the code will be copied to the reply window at the bottom of the page. Pay attention to those [ QUOTE] boxes and insert your comments where appropriate.

Selected Quote:

If you only want to quote a specific bit of the text from a post, you can highlight it with your mouse and a "Reply" button will appear below the highlighted text. Click that "Reply" and it will show your selected text quoted in the Post Reply window at the bottom of your screen.

[​IMG]

3. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Any way to change the posts per page setting anymore? Had a look for it and didn't see it.

4. NewOrleansSlimm

NewOrleansSlimm VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    the old format had a green type arrow by post I replied in or started, new format doesnt have this, anyway to fix this, other than that...everything seems good on my end

5. zignerlv

zignerlv VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The text font is very light colored, compared to the old more easily visible message board, especially on the thread information (number of posts in thread, last post time, etc). The thread information is so light colored, I can barely read it!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It looks like this is globally set and there's no way to change it per user. I'll dig around and see if there's a solution.

In the thread list, if you've replied to a thread, a small version of your avatar will appear in the bottom corner of the OPs avatar. Like this:
    postedinthread.jpg

I also believe that clicking on the green dot to the left of the thread title will take you to the first unread post.

That is something that is on the list to work on. I see that too. It's almost unreadable.

7. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Also, just an fyi, if you hit up the front page instead of going direct to the forums, the 'latest threads' link is now broken.

8. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am not seeing that. Maybe that page is cached for some reason. I removed that from the index page, but other people are reporting they are still seeing it. Hrm...:hmmm:

9. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ok, yeah, it was a cached page.

10. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm working on a solution to get the "latest posts" from this software to show up on that index page. Might not get to it until the board issues are taken care of, because most people just enter the forum directly. But it's "on the list"! ;)

11. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry for the unexpected downtime(s) today. We're working on getting PHP upgraded and added some caching to speed up the board on the server side.

There is currently a problem with the new countdown timer backgrounds. It isn't showing the correct font color. We're working on it and hope to have it fixed soon.

Thanks for your patience.

12. WDMJB

WDMJB Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm loving the new format. I got bounced out a couple of times earlier but it seems fine now. Thanks Sonya!

13. vinniemac274

vinniemac274 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  14. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks! I'll go take a look and see if I can fix that. I'm sure that most links and all HTML from the old board are going to be broken. Trying to find a solution that doesn't have me manually editing a zillion messages.

15. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wish there was a big LOGOFF button like we had on the old site. Now we have to click on our name on the top right and then logoff. Not a big problem, just an extra step to log off.

I also notice that I'm getting alerts when someone posted on a thread that I previously posted on. I usually just check on the "New Posts" so don't really need the alert. Is there a way to turn off the alerts? Not sure as I've never had alerts about posts before.

earlier today (about 4 hours ago) was having problems posting, I kept getting an error message about it not available but I haven't gotten that problem lately.

16. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The server people are working on the caching to speed up the board and they keep breaking it. ;) That's why we have some brief downtimes as they correct the errors.

re: permissions and alerts - from the User Guide -

Alert Preferences:

Select "Alert Preferences" to bring up this window:

[​IMG]

From this menu, you can choose which events trigger an alert to appear.

I'll also make a note to see if we can get a bigger logout button in the header somewhere.

17. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love the color green. My favorite. The old site had a lot of green and I simply adored it. The Vegas Message Board site graphic with the playing cards, chips, and dice were nicer especially with the bright Gold colors against the beautiful green.

I'm just happy that green is still dominant on this new site, not as much so but that's o.k. I'm just happy that everything came out o.k. and didn't crash and burn. I'm just happy that I still have a place to hang out and talk and read about Vegas.

I'm just happy.

Happy Happy Happy. :p:beer:

18. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Reasonably minor issue, but one that still is driving me a little crazy -- is it just me, or does Lastpass not play nice with the new software? I can't get my login info to populate for the life of me, and the fields don't even show the Lastpass logo and give me the option to select my credentials.

19. Packrat1

Packrat1 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Unfortunately the avatars don't seem to be populating ie showing up. Also I too was very happy with the old font/text color and the new colors really are hard to read and see. Just some thoughts. I love the site though.. Thanks for the hard work. It's a thankless job I am sure.

20. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    'Cause once per annum is insufficient...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.