1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Happy Cinco de Mayo

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, May 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Or as it is known everywhere but Gringoville ... not much of a day to commemorate. It's like us celebrating the Spanish-American "War" or the War of 1812 (which actually was pretty damn pivotal for us as a nation) instead of the 4th of July.

Enjoy those Coronas!!

:beer:

2. spdandpwr

spdandpwr VIP Whale

Cinco de Mayo and St. Patrick's Day were always strange to me but any chance to get our American populace out and having fun is a win in my book. I represent some heavily vested booze clients :)

Thank you, everyone!

3. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    interesting take by paul rodriguez

Aren't You Just Sicko de Mayo
    Maybe it's time to put less emphasis on partying and more on truly celebrating Mexican culture. Just a thought . . .
    May 05, 1998|PAUL RODRIGUEZ | SPECIAL TO THE TIMES

Email

Here's my point: Cinco de Mayo has done nothing to bridge the cultural gap. This so-called cultural event has not taught anybody anything about anyone. Unfortunately, the following are the things that I associate with the "traditional" celebration of Cinco de Mayo:

* The mass consumption of tacos, tostadas, taquitos, burritos and American beer.

* Buxom Budweiser girls showing up in--and popping out of--very short, tight, red, white and green dresses.

* The song "Cinco de Mayo" by War getting played by every radio station from San Diego to San Jose.

* My neighborhood becoming "Sobriety Checkpoint Charlie."

* Guaranteed work for Tierra, Malo and El Chicano at the Hop.

* The mass regurgitation of tacos, tostadas, taquitos, burritos and American beer.

* Bail bond agents being placed on statewide emergency alert.

* Thousands of people calling their employers on May 6th because they're too "sicko de Mayo" to work.

4. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm looking forward to seis de Mayo!

5. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Only the Mexican-American educators know what Cinco de Mayo is all about. It is an American created celebration. Mexican people from Mexico don't celebrate this day.

It was on the 5th of May in Puebla, Mexico that the French soldiers who had guns, rifles, etc. who lost the battle because the poor Mexicans who only had rocks and farm tools to fight off the French soldiers were able to outwit, outplay, outsmart the French who were fighting in a city that was not their homeland. So the Mexican people beat the crap out of them and killed enough of them for the French to run out of their town with their tails between their legs. That was the beginning of the revolution. This is an interpretation from Me who used to work in the field of education. The holiday that the Mexicans born in Mexico celebrate their Independence day is on SEPT. 16TH. That is the real day that is important to Mexicans and don't show up to work on the next day. lol. Lots of Mexicans work in Las Vegas. They go to work on the next day with a hangover. Only a beer or menudo soup will help them to feel better. lol. LucyR.

6. Alexander

Alexander MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mike, I'm already off on May 6th, so there! :p

7. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Cinco De Mayo ?
    Isn't that a beer commercial ?
    5 beers of May ?

8. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just remembered this morning that another reason the French lost the battle is because they didn't understand Mexican-Spanish and Indio dialect language. The Mexicans understood French because most of the Mexicans were part French and understood the French language. The French had married into the Mexican culture many years ago before that battle took place. So when the French soldiers were imported directly from France..... they didn't know they would be facing people that knew how the French fought their battles.It was an easy win.

Hi Joe, if the beer commercial shows bottles of beer then it is a commercial trying to get Mexicans to buy their beer. Mexicans don't like to drink their beer out of cans. I have seen Mexicans drinking beer in America. I sometimes notice that there are several empty bottles of beer at their table because they want the bar maid to leave them there so they can keep track and show off how many beers they can drink. lol. The secret to be able to drink lots of beers is when they get really full they go to the bathroom and barf their beer so they can continue drinking more beer.

JOE, I have just given you all a lesson on a custom that Mexicans have and the beer advertisers made a study to find out that Mexicans like to drink their beer in bottles. They sell more beer if they are in bottles to the Mexicans.

Cinco De Mayo is just a fun day for all the kids to dress up in Mexican outfits and dance and have lots of fun. BUT.... The real Mexicans in America take it seriously with designer war paint on their faces and the clothes are from the Mexican flag. Trivia info. The colors of the Mexican flag is also the same colors as the Italian flag.

I should have gone on a cruise for Cinco de Mayo. The cruise ships celebrate Cinco de Mayo. I was on a Cinco de Mayo cruise last year. I won the Trivia question on Cinco de Mayo and won a prize.
    I am part hermit and was too busy watching the Survivor t.v. show to notice that it was going to be Cinco de Mayo Day on the next day in LAS VEGAS. LOL. Next year I will go to Vegas to watch the people all dressed up for Cinco de Mayo. Vegas is a Mexican city with lots of tourists from all over the world. I am kidding. LOL.

9. imwired

imwired High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    last night on our local San Diego news they talked about police being out in force for Cinco De Mayo weekend. Really? Now it's a whole weekend instead of a day?

10. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Three of the $2.99 margaritas on special was enough for yesterday, then a safe ride home.

11. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I live in Los Angeles county area. It has been the custom for many years to close down a L.A. City street on a week-end to celebrate Cinco de Mayo. I only attended one years ago. I don't like crowds since I am clustophobic. Plus, I don't think it is safe to participate in a event that attracts a lot of people. One small problem can become a super large problem for the police and for the crowds.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.