1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Exercise - Endurance

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Backagain1, Apr 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Backagain1

Backagain1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Really off topic but how can I build endurance?
    I have been exercising for 3 years and I am a senior citizen! Never have I been active before but I feel like I am at a stand still because I have no endurance.
    I have lost about 60 pounds over the 3 years but I want more progress.
    Not sure who to ask, or embarrassed to ask that is why I am posting here.

2. sergi0wned

sergi0wned Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Start doing lower intensity workouts longer, and alternate these with short intervals of high intensity workouts.

For example:
    1. Walk at a brisk pace for an hour
    2. Jog for 5 min, recover at a slow pace, and repeat

Basically just keep pushing yourself and you will make progress :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. BreakEven

BreakEven High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    First off, no need to be embarrassed to ask...it's how we learn!

I'd agree with the previous advice. Note that your "jog" might not be much more than shuffling your feet quickly at first. It may still seem incredibly slow. Don't worry about that. You will continue to get faster.

It might also be good to consult with your Dr. I think there's a test both for oxygen level in the blood, and maybe the "stress" test that might provide valuable insight here.

4. Backagain1

Backagain1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Awesome! Thank you both.

5. ATXTX

ATXTX VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Are you saying you used to have endurance and now you don't? Like you get winded or tired when you used to be able to do more? If that is the case you may want to share that with your primary health care provider.

If you saying you can do what you used to do but want to do more - the advise everyone gave to progress your exercise as tolerated is great!

I think you are also saying you want to lose more weight and may have plateaued - is that correct? If so and you have already changed your diet (remember you need less calories if you are 60 lbs lighter) and increased your activity level - again you may want to talk with your primary health care provider - our hormones change as we age and sometimes we develop imbalances that are easily correctable. This may also be an issue contributing to your lack of endurance.

gl!

When we Were Young
  6. miniwhale

miniwhale High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Male? Female? If you have have not been active before, you can't expect a lot of endurance unless you push yourself more. As you get older, your metabolism changes drastically. You have to change your eating habits along with exercise. Also, try some weight training. Building muscle through weight training will help with your metabolism- burning calories at rest. it is definitely something to discuss with your doctor. Maybe getting your thyroid levels checked or A1C to see if you have blood sugar issues. Your diet can play a huge role in your energy levels!

7. Backagain1

Backagain1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sam - No, I never really had endurance but I guess I lost because I began moving. I do want to lose weight and have plateaued and I am lowering my intake to take into account the weight I have lost. I think seeing a doctor is a great idea. Thank you.

Miniwhale - Female, and no never have been active and I think that is where I am having a hard time. My body says stop and so I stop - I struggle with continuing on - which I guess is endurance. I have changed my eating habits and have made a lot of progress. I am doing weight training but again I think I do need to see a doctor. I am looking for articles that deal with building endurance but I think it may be something that I just need to push through as I am not seeing anything specifically for my situation. I see building endurance in running but that is not really what I am looking for.

8. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    endurance means different things to different people. First of all, congrats on losing 60 pounds! Have you had a stress test to check your heart and circulation? Get that out of the way and any other medical issues as mini says and then you'll be free to push your limits. What kind of endurance limitations are you experiencing? Can you walk a brisk mile without stopping? 2 miles? Ascend 2 or 3 flights of stairs without huffing and puffing? I can't But I push on huffing and puffing on the golf course. The hills get me. Well, up hills!

As far as being embarrassed? No, no, no. Most everyone wants to help those that want to help themselves. My wife exercises 2 hours day. Every day. She lost 70 pounds and she's determined to keep it off. Been about 6 years now. Set goals to target and you'll make the progress you want.

9. Backagain1

Backagain1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Endurance - I can not seem to push myself, get past the part when the brain says to stop. Thank you! I had a stress test several years ago and again last year, I went from 5 medications to no medications. I should go back though. Stairs are difficult and I cannot talk when going up - Awesome for your wife and I am going to do the setting goals!
    Thank you.

10. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    None of us are doctors, no one knows your situation ... and taking specific advice from us would be folly.

However, you know you need to do something and you've tried to do something and realize you need more, so that's part of the battle engaged right there! See your physician to make sure you won't pop, then hire a personal trainer. I've gone back to bicycling because it is easy on the joints and easy for a person of fluffiness to do compared to other aerobic pursuits. We also walk a lot and I play a lot of golf and avoid the cart whenever allowed. But we still need to do much more, too.

11. miniwhale

miniwhale High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Make goals; it is easier to push yourself. What kind of endurance do you want? Don't overdo it, just up your exercise, walk, etc by small increments. A minute a day, a.10 mile per walk, etc. Another stress test is a good idea and don't have high expectations, just baby steps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not sure, do you want to build up endurance so you can run a marathon? You also mentioned hitting a plateau. What is it that you are trying to do, lose more weight or trying to build up the endurance so you can run marathons? It sounds like the first (lose weight).

You also didn't mention your workout types and what you do. Unfortunately most people will hit a plateau when working out so they try to change their workout routine to see it will help them lose weight. Like weight training twice a week but cardio workouts 3 or 4 times a week, and then after a few weeks or a month then change it up again.

Also note that when you start weight training you may gain weight because you are building up muscle mass (muscles are heavy).

Since you are a senior it is probably best to not overdo it. If your body says stop then stop. You don't want to start to get chronic problems from over exercising so IMHO it is best to take it easy, start up slowly, make sure you stretch before and after exercising and avoid impact exercises that will stress out your joints.

My sister is 62 (I am 59) and she goes to the gym 7 days a week (yikes!). She alternates her workouts between weight training, running (jogging or fast walking), swimming and rowing and cardio machines. While she isn't skinny she isn't overweight (she was on weight watchers to get her weight down). She still has high cholesterol so has to take pills but she isn't diabetic (I am diabetic) so her exercising keeps the diabetes problem away.

Now, if you want to lose weight you may want to consider signing up for weight watchers to help you out. Cutting down on eating will help a little but it is what you are eating and the combination of foods that you eat that can help you lose more weight, you don't have to starve yourself to lose weight.

Good luck, it is always hard to start up so it is good that you are trying to get in some exercise.

13. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey Ken, I tried to bicycle at the gym and out on the road but after a while I start to get "problems" with my privates. They start to get numb (maybe I have big....., lol). I tried using things like wearing compression pants to wearing a cup to get a more padded seat but that doesn't get rid of the numbness.

What do you do so you don't get this numbness? I stopped biking because I start to get numb after a half an hour so no long bike rides or long periods on the exercise bike.

14. soled905

soled905 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This article is long, but unbelievably enlightening. Read it and rethink your diet. I say this as a big city fireman who works with quite a few guys who are also ex-college and professional athletes and some who are also professional trainers who have been preaching this stuff for years. It does very much affect your energy levels, as well as your ability to make gains.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/apr/07/the-sugar-conspiracy-robert-lustig-john-yudkin

15. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wrong saddle/cheap saddle/overly large, too padded saddle, improper fit, bad riding posture, wrong clothing/no chamois, no chamois cream -- and with that all figured out you still need to get accustomed to it all, as well. If you want to cycle talk to your local bike shop about getting properly outfitted and oriented on your bike. Good luck. Honolulu has to be a wicked dangerous place to ride.

16. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

There are a million and one ways to get fit, exercise and build endurance. It is extremely difficult and confusing to sort through all the literature and hearsay on the subject.
    I avoid it all and let my body and mind flow spiritually. For me, it works, it really does. We can overcomplicate this business of working out.
    Today, our weather was gorgeous, my body didn't feel as stiff as normal and I was up a couple hours early. Ended up running about 32 miles.
    It basically came down to how I felt, not what I had planned beforehand or what some manual suggested I do.
    Who knows what tomorrow will bring?

17. Dzm3428

Dzm3428 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is my first post. So. . Anyways. . By pushing yourself a little more each day. Simple, right?
    It's a game really. Ten more steps, 1/4 mile
    more. Or jogging/walking for 30 seconds at a faster pace. Just pushing yourself either for distance or speed. The best thing of all is that you are asking. Congratulations and keep pushing yourself for personal bests

18. salemorevegaslover

salemorevegaslover Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can I add my .02cents.
    The toughest part of exercising is.........getting there. That is....getting to the gym or wherever you go to exercise. I have always thought that a person is BETTER OFF joining a gym or fitness center simply because "working out" at home is often postponed due to numerous excuses.....kids....husbands demands.....guilt of not taking care of the family and on and on. Discipline is a MUST. If it means getting up a hour earlier for work or sleeping an hour less each night.....you gotta do it. Everyday and even on weekends. Exercise must become a part of your lifestyle. I recently read in USA Today that a person will attempt to lose weight an average of 5-6 times before either succeeding or giving up.
    Diet is extremely important. If you can cut your sugar consumption( eliminate all sodas, limit ice cream,cakes, pies & candies) you will be amazed how much weight you can keep off.
    I have never stopped exercising ( I'm late 60's) and am saddened by seeing overweight seniors and those disables by strokes attempting to exercise. Most of them probably there because of the ultimatum their Doctors gave them........you know.....if you don't lose weight and exercise you won't live another 3-5 yrs.
    Remember...........the hardest part of exercising is the start and the happiest is the end. Good luck to you.

19. NickPapageorgio

NickPapageorgio OG of the Sal Sagev Hotel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is comical. Nutritional and excercise experts abound. Those who freely offer advice rarely follow it themselves.

You're in your 60's/70's and have lost 60 pounds. Great work. Keep at it and check with your doctor on any excercise routines that you may want to add.

Nick:beer:

20. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is fundamental sense to this basic holistic-like approach. Is there any simpler question than: "Is ingesting this good or bad for me?" Perhaps this one: "If I don't do something active today will I be better off tomorrow than I was yesterday?"

We have the world's BEST food supply chain in the world available to us. Ironically, we also have one of the world's worst.

The impediment to all on this is that demon inside. Nothing else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.