1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

I love my job

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Apr 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How could I not?

And I've been lucky. Back when I had not-growing-up-yet jobs I was able to run a ski shop in the mountains, sling beer at the most popular joint in town -- who'd complain?! Then when I had to get all adult I loved being in the newspaper game, I had a blast doing the political thing and I even got a lot out of the corporate racket ... and happily I got O-U-T, and it wasn't even my idea. Now I have the best not-growing-up-ever job.

Life's too short to be miserable at work.

2. JoastTheMost

JoastTheMost Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the inspiration, Ken. As a young professional in a difficult place (as far as "is this really what I want to do as a career?", "Should I jump and take the risk?"), I appreciate the reflection. I hope that one day I can look back and say I have been lucky as well! :beer:

OR...

Maybe I'll just hit it big in Vegas and retire ;)

3. Slotchick

Slotchick High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That is fantastic Ken, you are very lucky! I'm fortunate enough to say I've enjoyed the employment I've had over the years. Some think I'm off my rocker as I've never kept a job that I've been miserable at, no matter what the pay. The latest employment I've had is a ton of fun, most people don't think preparing taxes is fun, but I thoroughly enjoy it. The variety of people you meet is amazing and no client is the same; plus, no matter how much training/schooling we have prior to tax season we are continuously learning while on the job.

My life motto has always been: If I'm not happy, it's not worth it!

4. Suekel

Suekel VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I enjoyed the post because I am currently grappling with decisions in this arena. I will hit 20 years at my corporate gig this year, as well as turning the big 5-0. In order to "make my numbers" at this job (ie retire with nothing left on the table) I'd have to stay til I'm 63. Not going to happen. I'm trying to decide when the right time would be to move on to whatever is next. Not full retirement, I"m too young for that, but something different at least.

We've been crunching numbers with our money guy, and thanks to living under our means and investing fairly aggressively (and let's be honest, not having kids!), we could sell our house, quit our current "career" jobs, take 6 months off (possibly to move closer to my aging parents), buy a small place with cash from the profit from selling current house, get new jobs making 50% as much as we currently do, and still be set to fully retire around 60 and have money to live til 99 and then some. So I find myself asking: What are we waiting for?

I'm trying to trust that when the time is right to make a move, I'll know it. There are some things up in the air with my pension that I'll stick around a bit to see how they play out. But as you say Ken, life is short and time's a-wasting. I'm ready for the next chapter.

5. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Suekel, I hear you about "next chapter"! I have worked since I was 17 (took the four years of college off) and I will be 52 this year. I have had four excellent jobs over 31 years of working and I am hoping my current one is the one I will retire from. I've been here 18 years and I still love it. I now dream of retirement, but know realistically I cannot right now. My target is 62 . . .well 60. LOL!! But I am looking forward to my "next chapter". My only prayer is that I am physically and financially sound to enjoy it.

6. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Let's see.... you're getting paid to eat, drink, and play golf. Sounds like a rotten job to me.

7. Alexander

Alexander MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh my God! Lol. :D

8. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Haven't seen you here for a while, bud. When you coming out/down for some wine and dine???

9. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's looking more and more likely that it'll be down, not out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.