1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Off to Wynn slot tournament with $5k buy in this Saturday. Yikes....

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by Mr. Veyron, Apr 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Veyron

Mr. Veyron Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

First time entering a slot tournament with a but in. $5k buy in. Am I nuts. Actually it's for my wife who I surprised with her entry. She's already in panic mode feeling pressure to preform. We received the offer a few months ago from slot host and I thought the payouts were decent. Limited to about 100 players, $250k top prize, cash for top 10, last place $1,500 free play., one in four to get back entry fee, rooms comped and $200/day FB.
    Hoping Encore does a once job with food and setting. I'll do my best in keeping all informed. Heading out Thursday from Boston. Beats shoveling snow today.

2. vegaskid74

vegaskid74 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pressure to perform? I must have misunderstood how slot tournaments work. Wish her luck for me!

3. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was considering doing that one - if memory serves, the expected value proposition was quite good. But $5K is a pretty salty price of admission for a slot tourney.

All the Wynn events that I've attended have been a lot of fun - good food/booze, fun environment, well organized, etc...I'm sure this one will be first class all the way.

Enjoy and good luck. :beer:

4. remmerde

remmerde VMB's Resident Cigar Sommelier

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ha, I thought that too. But I guess mashing a button is still a "performance"!

5. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good luck! Keep us posted. :beer:

6. Geogran

Geogran VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    250,000 reasons to do well - hope she ends up in the top 10 at the very least!!
    Rooting for her!

7. win4me

win4me VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wishing your wife lots of luck! Can't wait to hear about it :beer:

8. ovojake

ovojake Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Best of luck guys!!! Post a ton of pics if you can!!!

9. sam_marques

sam_marques Vegas Vlogs Youtube / TeamClareVlogs

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good Luck!! Sounds like a great tournament, keep us posted!

10. vegasvette

vegasvette High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Best of luck. Wouldn't it be great if a VMB member actually won one of these slot tournaments?

11. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Are you back? How did it go? Any Luck? Have you stayed at WynnCore before? If not what did you think?

12. Candydave

Candydave mid-roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good luck! That sounds like fun.

13. Easy9

Easy9 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How was the slot tourney any details.

Im assuming you got the 1500 freeplay based off the crickets but can we gets some details of the format, game, how things worked?

Thanks and I hope im wrong on the finish

14. Mr. Veyron

Mr. Veyron Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Overall a good trip. Made our entry fee back

Started late Friday with registration in one of the private meeting rooms. Free drinks and small eats all done very nicely. Got assigned a start time for Saturday which was (3) 10 minute rounds with a 10 min break between rounds. There was a blind drawing for what machine you would have for each round. The tournament rounds started at 10am, 11am and noon on Saturday. The bonus round started around 1pm.
    Also a blind draw for a bonus round which you had to pay for ($1500) in addition to the base entry fee($5000).
    The tournament only counts the 2 highest rounds. So 2 out of 3 or 2 out of 4 rounds if you payed for the extra round.
    The original first place money was $250k with cash paid for the first 10 spots. The 10 spot got $5k cash, 11-25 got $5k in free slot credit, 25-50 got $2,500 slot credit and 51-100 got $1,500. All based on 100 entrants.
    The actual entrants turned out to be 115. So the added fees were mostly passed up to the first place winner. The top prize was raised to $300k. I think they should have passed the increase along to the lower placed finishers.
    Also, those who paid extra ($1,500) to have an extra round had a separate tournament among themselves. They took $1,000 of each bonus round. Entry fee and put it in a cash prize for the highest score of the bonus us round.
    There were 97 people who paid the 1500 for an additional round. That meant the person with the highest score would get $97k. It turned to be a young girl who had take the place of her father. I think she also came in about fifth in the big tournament. Maybe another 20-30k
    The 43 machines were set up on 2 sides of the room. There was a buffet and drinks. A breakfast buffet in the morning and a lunch set up in the afternoon.
    My wife did great for the 3 rounds, top 10 total count. She was in the money. Then the bonus round started. The 2 highest scores of the round was over 100,000 credits. The top score, about 107k won the $97k, the other top score was around 100k. That was enough to add to his earlier rounds and become the overall winner of the $300k.
    My wife could not improve her earlier scores high enough to get into the top 10. She wound up 14th and walked away with $5k of slot credit. We played a lot of top dollar slots and turned that into $4700 cash.
    Wound up getting 5 nights comped along with all food (SW and Lakeside, etc) and drinks. Had to pay tax and tips.
    Overall a nice trip glad to be home.
    An expensive experience to see how the big slot tournaments work.

15. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the report. Though you didn't get one of the top prizes congrats on getting the $5k in slot credit. All in all it sounds like it was a great experience.

16. Geogran

Geogran VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for updating us - was rooting for you- but 5k Freeplay resulting in $4700 win is nice indeed - just about evened out your initial buy-in. I agree it would have been nice if they had distributed that bonus round fee more evenly among the other players. Staying at the Wynn with all those fine restaurants to choose from and having all the meals comp'd is another win. Sounds like a great experience.

17. kollegekreed

kollegekreed Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was surprised that that many people would pony up $5,000 when a very small percentage win their cash back. Im downright flabbergasted that 97 of the 107 ponied up another $1500.

18. Mr. Veyron

Mr. Veyron Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They had offered $500 free slot credit if your signed up early for both the base tournament 5k, and the bonus round 1500. About 3 weeks before the tournament.
    But you could buy the bonus round after your base 3 rounds were known. So if you thought you had a couple of good scores and and wanted to insure an even better final outcome, you went for the added 1500. I'm guessing half of the 97 bought there additional round that day thinking they had a good chance of moving up.
    In for an ounce in for a pound!

19. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You won back the entry fee and got everything comped.

What was expensive? unless you dumped a bunch on the floor.

20. NotFromConcentrate

NotFromConcentrate It’s a Cassowary :)

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So I've got two questions based on this experience you've described...

1. How do you get in on something like this? Is it invite-only, based on existing play, or could one just go in cold? Personally, I would consider risking $5k to have a shot at a $250k top prize, some sizeable lower prizes, and a ton of comps to be a relatively solid investment. To be clear, how many days did the whole thing last? Just trying to get a sense of the value of the comps that come with this.

2. What is the most prudent method to convert the slot play into cash? Is it that you would just insert the free play into a machine, "play through" it all until all of the dollars are turned over, and your machine balance is cash?

[TENTATIVE Late Jul/Early Aug] Vegas by way of Chicago/Elko/Reno!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.