1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

UV Light Findings

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by smerrian, Apr 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So, after reading about how germaphobic many people are I thought I would get a UV light to check out the 6 hotels I will be staying at on my next trip. They're not expensive. A nice compact one for travel cost me $10 at Walmart. It works well. The thing is, I'm not a germaphobe. In fact, the only thing I'm adverse to in the hotel room is the bedspread...which goes on the floor as soon as I let go of my luggage...and the glassware in the room...which I wash with soap in the bathroom sink right after dropping the bedspread on the floor. Other than that, I really never think twice about germs in the room, after all, isn't that what our immune systems are for?
    I tried the UV light out at my home. Not bad except for the 15 year old bedroom carpeting...ugh. How does carpet get all these spots on it? I know we haven't been hanging from the ceilings during our romps around the room...though that could be fun. I now have to take my findings in my hotel rooms in LV with a grain of salt. After all, if my carpet at home could look like this I think I have to give the hotel some leeway, also.

2. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I say ignorance is bliss; don't do it. I believe it was Dateline that ran a similar experiment. It wasn't pretty and some of the higher end hotels were the worst.

3. STPFan

STPFan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just would rather not know.

4. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, I remember that Dateline show. :vomit:

I have a small battery operated UV light. Puppies and geriatric cats in the house means that there are icky messes and the UV light helps to get it all. I thought once about bringing it on one of my trips, but decided against it. Yeah, probably better not to know. ;)

I read an article in the last few weeks about hotel cleanliness. I was surprised by the results that indicated that 4-5 star properties tend to be worse offenders than 3-star properties. Makes me feel better about being a low-roller.

FWIW, the worst locations in hotel rooms for germs are the bathroom counter, the remote control and the phone.

5. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This!.

6. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Laughed at all of the responses. I know I shouldn't do it, but I have to do it at least one trip just for the experimentation behind it. Slippers in a hotel room? You've got to be kidding me. After this trip I may be thinking differently. I was a science teacher...I just have to know.

7. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't walk barefoot, wipe the remote and telephone, wash the glasses, don't use the coffeemaker, throw away the black light, don't worry, be happy.

8. sergi0wned

sergi0wned Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I look forward to hearing about your findings when we meet up! Depending on how disturbing they are, I may want to borrow your UV wand. Something tells me that may not be the best idea in the El Cortez though...

9. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Journal had a blast just a few days back and if you want something filthy ... just check out your friendly neighborhood gym.

We have a neighbor who is NUTSO about this stuff. Then her cat takes a crap in the sand, kicks it around, and then runs over to sit on mommy's lap, which is right about the time the dog comes in to bestow a big smooch right after giving itself the back-side tickle.

Humans are NOT rational.

10. jpw711

jpw711 Is that your cat?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd rather not know. This thread reminds me of the csi/two and a half men episode......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.