1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Local HS senior #1 prospect in US

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Jerseyguy2, Apr 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Looking at the sports page when I saw a kid from the next town pitched a no-hitter struck out 19 and is rated the #1 prospect in the pro draft . Looking at maybe a 7 million bonus,this for a HS senior.

2. Loverboy

Loverboy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not bad...always good to be no1..hope cubs get him

3. grosx2

grosx2 Have fun storming the castle!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Uh, seeing as how the Cubs don't have a pick until the third round (and if they did have a 1st rounder, it would be in the 20s), I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that it's a longshot that they end up with the #1 prospect in the draft.

4. WichitaMuskie

WichitaMuskie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My high school teammate went #1 in the draft, but not until after 3 years in college. Threw 100 mph. He certainly did okay for himself financially!

5. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't follow baseball much these days. How often does the top prospect even pan out? I hope it's not like the NFL and quite a few QBs.

6. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's gambling. The MLB clubs will gamble on the next super star. What is this kid's name, I'll draft him for my Fantasy league.

7. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It is in every sport. I'm just thinking it seems to be more of a longshot in baseball. In hoops, guys pretty much are ready to go so often. Just looking for a number, an estimate.

8. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually with baseball you aren't thrown into the fray immediately. You get to go through the minors to sharpen your game first. While it is true that there is no guarantee with high draft picks they at least get to see how they pan out in supplemental, AA and AAA ball first. In hoops, there are supplemental leagues for the rookie to hone his skills but the road to professional basketball is faster than with baseball. Ken is correct, in baseball there are thousands of players in the various leagues so not as easy to crack the lineup unless they really can show they belong there.

For football there isn't much of a "pre" game, lots of times they get thrown into the fray almost immediately (look at Winston at TB, Mariota at the Titans) to sink or swim. Maybe if Manziel had to go through minor leagues then maybe he could get his head together (doubtful though) and the club didn't lose a lot of money on questionable athletes. In pro baseball the player first has to prove himself before they move him up to the higher levels.

I think in the 3 major sports it is still a crapshoot whether the player will be a boon or a bust but clubs are willing to shell out the big bucks on an athlete based on his "tested" skills.

9. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, I do understand the hierarchy. lol

10. WichitaMuskie

WichitaMuskie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some pretty great names in here. And then there's my teammate, Matt Anderson. Not quite a legend. In fairness, he should have been #2, but the Tigers were afraid to draft JD Drew because of his agent (Boras).

http://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/

11. rvallez6

rvallez6 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Baseball is more of a crapshoot because it's hard to translate high school and college success to professional success. Just the fact that you go from aluminum bats to wood bats is a huge leap. It'd be like high school and college basketball hoops being lower than the NBA or something like that. I think a lot of times guys out of high school get by on talent and don't really care about the game enough to work on it as much as you need to to become a great pro. So the mental aspect of it is huge. There is just so much to evaluate in baseball.

12. grosx2

grosx2 Have fun storming the castle!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is spot on. The elite prospects in football and basketball can make an impact in their first professional season, due to their one in a million athleticism and physical gifts. Very few first rounders in these sports fail to reach the highest level, and the majority see significant time during their rookie year.

Baseball is pretty much the exact opposite, with relatively few draft picks ever reaching the major league level, and even fewer contributing to the big league club in their first pro season, even first rounders. There's just so much more intricate skill involved, beyond raw physical tools. That's why there are about seven level of minor leagues in the MLB farm system. A high draft pick out of high school might come in and crush pitchers in Rookie ball, but if you put him in Double A before he's ready, those pitchers will sit him down before he can even get the bat off his shoulder. The Griffeys and Harpers of the world, guys that have success in the bigs when they are 19-20 years old, are once or twice a decade talents.

13. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Saw a stat on Baseball America that some 75 percent of first-rounders do get to the Show.

14. Its Only Money

Its Only Money VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ken, I was reading something about Matt Bush, 2004 overall number 1 pick, this morning and the article says if he doesn't make it he will become only the third #1 overall not to make it to the bigs. He's had some substance abuse issues and was in jail for two years. Now in Rangers organization.

15. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the info!

16. USCHawks

USCHawks High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Griffey is the first #1 pick to be elected to the HOF which kind of surprised me.

17. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just thought it was amazing given the fact that theres a lot of colleges out west and down south that are baseball factories and a HS kid from a small Jersey Shore town is rated #1. He throws 97 mph with a wicked breaking ball reportedly. Kids name is Broome.

18. Loverboy

Loverboy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Shouda picked Justin verlander

19. WichitaMuskie

WichitaMuskie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That is interesting, but he won't be the only one for long. Looking through the list of #1s I posted above, Chipper Jones will be joining soon. Darryl Strawberry obviously should have been if not for the nose candy. Harold Baines was close. A-Rod should have joined them, but I assume he'll be on the Bonds, McGwire, Clemens plan. Of currently playing guys, Adrian Gonzalez certainly has a shot, Joe Mauer will probably just miss, David Price has a good shot with a few more good years, Stephen Strasburg could still get there (but is probably in line for a more modest career), Bryce Harper is a lock if he stays healthy, Gerrit Cole is on the right path, and Carlos Correa has as good a start as you could hope for.

20. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not baseball -- but our local guy was Johnny Manziel -- actually it was our town's biggest rival Kerrville, Texas - 20 miles away, but close enough to be proud - at the time. They beat the literal tar out of our team every year he played. Once it was 72-0 or something like that. -- And just look at him now -- pretty sad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.