1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

A post office huh?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Apr 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just placed a mail hold for our upcoming trip and every time I do I have to chuckle when the form asks for my zip, then the State. You're the Post Office, you invented zip codes. :poke:

2. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Those sonsabitches.

3. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For my last vacation, I went online to put my mail on hold. Worked like a charm, usps.com.

4. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I never knew! Thanks!

5. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OH heck yeah - so easy to do online!!

If only there were a form for "stop sending me my in-laws' junk mail" online too :evillaugh

6. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Love that online feature, been using it for years! And Joe, yep, why the state? Duh.

7. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Double entry/redundancy correction? What if you type/write the wrong numbers in your zip (I transpose mine all the time, actually) And if you're filling out a paper form, how many times do you think people have left one or both blank?

8. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, first, of course I did this online. OK, Hoya, I can't imagine doing that, but OK, I'll buy it as a reason.

9. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    lol

With my handwriting "CA" looks like "GA" so my guess is a partially botched Zip with the city is going to carry the day!!

10. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    sorry duplicate

11. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Trying to make sense out of postal regulations is a fool's errand. Many clerks are minimally competent rule followers who look for any excuse to screw you. Don't give them an excuse. If you find a good clerk at a good office, go there always even if it's not the closest branch. Or use online. Online takes the personality and most of the incompetence out of the process.

The carrier can make the biggest difference by correcting errors and doing customers small favors. Work on having a friendly relationship with your carrier, keep him or her informed, and hope to God you have a good one.

12. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've always filled out the yellow mail hold card and placed it in the mailbox the day prior to being away. I just never thought of doing it online; which is strange, since I do everything else online, from paying bills, banking, stock trading, ordering from Amazon, etc. Then again, the card may be the better way to go for informing the carrier. :confused2:

13. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I live in a county where more than once we've had mail carriers caught tossing mail in the woods, so.....However - I've never had a single problem using the online hold. They print out the request and must stick it in the mail sorting area (I know they print it out because they usually include the printout with my mail when they deliver it all at the end of the hold period) On the other hand, my local post office is so small that I'm pretty sure my mail carrier is the one actually doing the sorting just before delivery.

14. Geogran

Geogran VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agree totally! For several years we had the worst carrier - missing mail, late delivery, wrong mail at least once a week - neighbors as far as two streets away would constantly bring us our mail and vice versa (same street number but different street name). After repeated complaints by a band of neighbors to post office, finally got a new carrier.
    We've had the same carrier now for 9 years and can't sing her praises high enough - have written letters twice about her service. Not one piece of misdelivered mail in all this time, friendly, helpful when our mailbox key broke, she knows we are gone a lot, and if we have forgotten to leave a note to hold mail, she moves it to the large box when our small box is full. She goes out of her way to accommodate special requests. Our house is right next to the bank of mailboxes for our street so we often see her interacting with the neighbors. All our neighbors appreciate her and she receives gift cards from all of us during the Xmas season ( they are not permitted to accept cash but may accept gift cards). We are lucky to have her.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.