1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What is the current best deal on oysters?

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by DiamondJim21, Mar 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DiamondJim21

DiamondJim21 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am going to Las Vegas in mid-April and am trying to find the best deal on oysters. I have found $21 for 13 oysters at Big Al's Oyster Bar at Orleans during happy hour. There is also $19.99 for a dozen oysters at Palace Station all the time. MSS Triple 7 Brewery has the best deal I could find at $16.99 for a dozen. Table 10 at Venetian advertises $1.50 oysters during happy hour. Big Sur Oyster Bar at South Point is no longer advertising their happy hour oyster deal. Also DB Brasserie is no longer advertising their $1 oysters from 5-6 during happy hour. Does anybody know of any better deals for oysters? Thanks.

2. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just called db Brasserie. Yes, I called them. They are still offering their $1 oysters at the bar from 5-6pm 7 days a week. I have it in my trip plans to stop in there and when I read your post got concerned that I would have to strike them off of my list! But...still there!:banana:

3. DiamondJim21

DiamondJim21 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's great news. Thanks for checking. I was just going off their posted happy hour menu.

4. whifi

whifi Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Glad to hear DB is still doing their $1 oyster happy hour, really enjoyed it on my last visit in October and can't wait to go back. (As long as you're there, the Thai calamari is also discounted for HH and it's delicious)

5. 63hearts

63hearts Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Let us know how the oysters went, especially if you do 777 at MSS, I would be tempted to try in May

thanks

6. GA Redneck

GA Redneck Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is from dbBrasserie site.
    $1 OYSTER HOUR
    DAILY IN OUR BAR & LOUNGE || 5-6PM
    Join us daily in our bar & lounge for our $1 Oyster Hour, Executive Chef Vincent Pouessel is offering the crisp flavors of Kumiai Oysters from Baja Mexico for only a dollar. Grab a seat at our bar & lounge and order from a selection of Happy Hour beers, wines, or well spirits to accompany your oysters.

VEGAS BABY!
  7. eaglejohn

eaglejohn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    or you could do the MSS seafood buffet for $23 and eat all of them LOL

8. Wall St Nole

Wall St Nole Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can you post a link, I can't find this.

9. GA Redneck

GA Redneck Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Go to db Brasserie website. On the right you will see their Easter Brunch ad then below click next and you will see it.

VEGAS BABY!
  10. Wall St Nole

Wall St Nole Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Found it, thanks!

11. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This past trip my Wife and I had the seafood buffet at MSS on a Friday nite. The oysters they had there were fresh tasting and really good! I was over indulging a bit and my Wife had to stop me before I get a gout attack, lol!!

Toward the end of the trip we had dinner at Redwood Grill and I ordered oysters on the half shell there. It was cold and fresh tasting but not as good as the ones at the MSS buffet!

12. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    From the LVA:

13. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I use an app called Pearl to find Oysters near me. Found a place in Boston with $.50 Blue Points a couple of weeks ago.

14. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ok, since you are all oyster fans in this thread I have to ask a question. I've never had an oyster before. I've heard that you don't chew it, you just swallow it. Is that true? If so what's the point, I don't get it :) I'm obviously missing something.

15. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I didn't try an oyster until about 5 years ago, but I chew them. I was love at first slurp and it's like kissing the ocean. Just a squeeze of lemon, maybe a drop of Tabasco or cocktail sauce. A good shucker will keep the "liquor" in the cup, but a relative of mine drains this off. There's no accounting for taste. Some places will offer a "shooter" which is a shucked oyster in a shot glass topped with cocktail sauce and a lemon wedge, sometimes with vodka.

At a buck a shuck, the bars are really breaking even, the waterman or a grower gets about $.50-$.75 an oyster, he sells it to a broker, who sells it to a restaurant. West coast oysters are a little smaller than east coast varieties.

Here's a fun fact, at the turn of the century, 1900 that is, the per capita consumption of oysters was about 4 lbs. An adult oyster will filter 50 gallons of water each day. Just remember, it was a brave man who ate the first oyster, so give one a try, you might spit it out, or you may enjoy it.

16. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, chew your delicious oyster...just put the shell up to your mouth and slurp it all in. I like just a dab of cocktail sauce or minuet sauce (basically a spiced vinegar).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.